C++: IDE compatiable with MS Visual C++

Newsnet Customer

Hi,

I'm looking for an IDE, which is compatible with Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0.
What I mean by compatible is that when I port code from an IDE onto MS
Visual C++ and compile it, it won't complain about errors.

The IDEs I have tried is:

- Dev C++ 4.9.8.0

any help appreciated.

regards
dfg

Bob Jacobs

Newsnet Customer said:
Hi,

I'm looking for an IDE, which is compatible with Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0.
What I mean by compatible is that when I port code from an IDE onto MS
Visual C++ and compile it, it won't complain about errors.

The IDEs I have tried is:

- Dev C++ 4.9.8.0

any help appreciated.

Unfortunately, VC++ 6.0 doesn't conform to the C++ standard in a number of
areas, as it's quite an old version of the Microsoft compiler. You're
therefore likely to find a number of inconsistencies if you port code from
another environment.

Attila Feher

Newsnet said:
Hi,

I'm looking for an IDE, which is compatible with Microsoft Visual C++
6.0. What I mean by compatible is that when I port code from an IDE
onto MS Visual C++ and compile it, it won't complain about errors.

Then you need a compatible _compiler_, not an IDE. IIRC the EDG frontend
based compilers have a "broken by Microsoft(R)" mode. I suggest you check
out this site: http://www.comeaucomputing.com

If you really need an IDE (and not a compiler) then I am afraid only more
expensive solutions exist, like the Intel compiler etc.

Peter van Merkerk

great! proprietary software is a real boundary.

Then don't use it.
At least, Sun Microsystems
has free compilers for Java, unlike Microsoft!

Like the Java SDK, the .NET SDK is a free download from Microsoft. Also
like the Java SDK download, it comes without an IDE.

You cannot expect companies to offer everything they make for free.
People who work at those companies have to eat and pay their mortgages
too. If you really need an IDE that is compatible with MSVC, I'm affraid
you will have to pay. If you are unwilling to pay you will have to
settle for a free (non-compatible) alternative, and accept any
inconviences (like manually converting project files) that may come with
it.

Attila Feher

Newsnet said:
too bad it ain't free.

I see. Coudl you give me your address please. I know where will I get my
free lunches around your area...

If you think 50 bucks is too much for a 100% standard compiler you really
need to find another business for yourself. You will be surprised how much
professional programming tools cost.
great! proprietary software is a real boundary. At least, Sun
Microsystems has free compilers for Java, unlike Microsoft!

You must be out of your mind. Propriatery software?????????? C++ is an
INTERNATIONALLY STANDARDIZED LANGUAGE! What are you mumbling about? Java
OTOH *is* propriatery. This is the reason MS was able to scr*w with it so
easily.

Newsnet Customer

I see. Coudl you give me your address please. I know where will I get my
free lunches around your area...

If you think 50 bucks is too much for a 100% standard compiler you really
need to find another business for yourself. You will be surprised how much
professional programming tools cost.

Sorry for not having the luxury of spending $50 on a compiler you jackass!
You must be out of your mind. Propriatery software?????????? C++ is an
INTERNATIONALLY STANDARDIZED LANGUAGE! What are you mumbling about? Java
OTOH *is* propriatery. This is the reason MS was able to scr*w with it so
easily.

Visual C++ is proprietary Software! what are you mumbling about?

sasasas

Agent Mulder

AF> *PLONK*

"I have nothing against IDE's. I think they're great"

---Charles Petzold

Attila Feher

Mike said:
Well, now - IIRC, you still need another compiler to use as the
"back-end" for Comeau's, so it's really more than $50.

Could you remind me... how much is gcc? IIRC Comeau support it as back-end.

Greg Comeau

Could you remind me... how much is gcc? IIRC Comeau support it as back-end.

That's correct, for some platforms, we support a number of
"free" compilers as backends, including some versions of gcc.

Peter van Merkerk

great! proprietary software is a real boundary.
This is a bunch of bull. An IDE just creates code that goes into the
compiler. It not part of the compiler. DevC++ uses the GNU mingw
compiler.

Next time you post here learn to read first. I never stated that the IDE is
part of the compiler. However the OP asked for an *IDE* compatible with MS
Visual C++. He already stated he has tried DevC++, which for some unknown
reason was apparently not compatible enough with the MSVC *IDE*. With *IDE*
compatibility I can only assume he means the capability to read&write MSVC
project and workspace files (!=source files). To my knowledge, of the free
alternatives, DevC++ comes closest to what one could call MSVC IDE
compatibility (but apparently not close enough for the OP). Yes, DevC++ can
import .dsp files (though it tends to crash if you do so), but it cannot
export them, nor can it read or write .dsw files. This may be inconvenient
in some cases. Whether the inconvenience justifies buying the real thing (or
not) is an individual decision.
It can be configured to make compatable code with MS VC++6.
You dont have to change the IDE. If you want to be stupid like the
have access to librarys that go into making funcioning windows apps,
then by all means pay through the nose.

No one said that here. I guess you have been listening to a little voice in
your head rather than reading the postings.

FYI: DevC++ has been developed with proprietary software using a proprietary
programming language (even though it is perfectly feasable to do without
those).
Its not like you have any
alternative *cough*opensource*cough* to what the big software companys
provide you.

No one said that that was the case. Only that if one expects free
alternatives that have perfect (better than DevC++) compatibility with the
MSVC *IDE*, the selection gets rather small. Non-proprietary free
open-source software can be a viable alternative for proprietary software.
Yes, it can be just as good, and sometimes even better than the commercial
alternatives. I use plenty of non-proprietary free open-source software
myself. However the sole fact that something is proprietary or not doesn't
make software inferior or superior.

What I resent is the attitude of taking free software for granted as opposed
to being grateful for having free alternatives in the first place. A typical
software product takes many thousands of man-hours to develop, is it really
such a crime that companies want to see some money for it?

White Wolf

Arquebus257WeaMag wrote:
[SNIP]
This is a bunch of bull. An IDE just creates code that goes into the
compiler. It not part of the compiler. DevC++ uses the GNU mingw
compiler. It can be configured to make compatable code with MS VC++6.
You dont have to change the IDE. If you want to be stupid like the
have access to librarys that go into making funcioning windows apps,
then by all means pay through the nose. Its not like you have any
alternative *cough*opensource*cough* to what the big software companys
provide you.

Take a chill pill pal! I am a previous poster and I did not EVER say that
you can only make Windows programs with IBM or MS compilers. What I have
told to him is that what he needs is a compatible compiler and not an IDE.
For which he is eternally grateful so sent me to hell and I have killfiled
him. But please take a chill pill and do not make false claims. BTW the OP
was asking for an IDE (compiler) 100% compatible with VS6. gcc is not.
Therefore DevC++ is not.

Peter van Merkerk

What I resent is the attitude of taking free software for granted as
opposed
Peter, since your the one who is bringing up this off topic issue, Ill
respond, because posters on this thread have been harping about how
software companys have to get paid for their work and open source is somehow
cheating them out of profits.

To continue this OT thread :)
I'm not saying open source is cheating anyone out of profits. It just
requires a different business model. Offering free alternatives doesn't
violate any ones rights. I actually believe that open source software is a
really good thing, and actually can help the economy. It enables the
development of products that would not be viable without the help of open
source, and forces commercial alternatives to do better. This is one of the
reasons I signed this petition: http://petition.eurolinux.org/, and I urge
you to do the same. And no, I'm not a big fan of Microsoft and their
questionable business ethics. But I realize that any other organisation in
their position will behave in the same way. It is the result of human
nature, which is unfortunately very difficult to change.

However the suggestion that it is criminal to charge money for ones efforts,
is IMO foolish. Offering a paid alternative doesn't violate any ones rights.
You are free to buy or not to buy something. If I feel a product is worth
its money I have no problem purchasing it. If it is not, or there is a free
alternative which meets my requirements I will go for the free alternative.
But if free alternatives don't meet my requirements and the commercial
product is not worth its money, you won't hear me bitching that the
commercial product is not free.

If I need some software I expect I have to pay for it because a lot of
effort goes into making these products. If I can get it for free I consider
that someone did me a very big favour. Expecting all software to be free is
IMO being ungrateful to the open source community. People who take free
software for granted often also expect full support, get rude when they
don't get it, and are intolerant for any imperfections the software might
have. Such an attitude might be tolerable if one paid big bugs for it but
not for free software. I know of several cases of open source authors
getting demotivated by people like this, and eventually dropping the project
altogether. I say we can do without people like that.
My responce to that is that is that
programming tools and software tools should conform to common standards,

If they don't, don't buy it. If enough people feel that way companies are
forced to be standard compliant, or simply loose their business. When
choosing development tools (or any other product for that matter), standards
compliance is a very big issue for me, even more so than its price. If you
have ever tried to get a non trivial C++ project compile and work with four
different compilers and on three different OSes, you will understand why I
feel so strongly about standardization and standards compliance.
and
no one company should corner the market for any development tools simply
because other companies are unable to make compatible tools to compete with
it.

They shouldn't in an ideal world, but it is a common business practise to
make the life of your competitors as difficult as possible. This is true for
any line of business.
I choose open source not because its free, but because I feel I'm
getting the best quality development tools, because the entire software
community has direct contol over it.

That sole fact that software is open source doesn't guarantee its quality. I
have run into plenty open source projects that are crap, just like I have
run into many commercial products that are crap.
And not only quality, but an open
standard that noone will be able to monopolize. This idea is totally lost in
the US justice systems attempt to stop Microsoft monopoly. They don't see
the problem with windows control of the OS market is because competitors are
unable make a competing OS that will work with software that runs on
windows. They instead try to "break up" Microsoft or take their money in
damage suits. And don't worry, just because development tools are made free
to open standards, there will be plenty of software work left.

Whether development tools are made to open standards and whether or not they
are free are two independant issues. Free tools can use their own standards
which no other tools support. Commercial tools can support open standards
which are supported by many other tools of other vendors. Given the choice I
would go for the one that doesn't tie me to one particular tool or company.

And don't worry Microsoft can only go downhill from now (unless something
really dramatic happens). If you analyse Microsofts situation carefully you
will see its future is not that bright.
You don't
hear companies like adobe or descreet complaining about opensource, because
software like Photoshop or 3Dstudiomax is simply better than anything
opensource programmers could ever do.

Though I agree with most what you say, I don't agree with the last part:

1. I do believe the open source community can provide better alternatives
for those products like Photoshop, but apparently lacks incentive to do so
(most people in the open source community are programmers rather than
graphic artists).

2. If they would be facing serious competition from the open source
community, you can bet they will start to complain and/or undermine the open
source alternatives, just like Microsoft does.

3. I don't feel that one should apply different moral standards for graphic
applications than for software development tools. For the graphics industry
those applications are what software development tools are for the software
industry.

4. Every company will try to corner the market given the chance to do so.

It is always funny how irrational and emotional people get when things like
"open source" or "Microsoft" enter the discussion.

foo

Attila Feher said:
Could you remind me... how much is gcc? IIRC Comeau support it as back-end.

Check out the following links for free compilers and IDE.

FREE:
Bloodshed Dev C++
http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html (IDE and compiler)

http://visual-mingw.sourceforge.net/ (IDE ONLY) use with MinGW
compiler
http://www.objectcentral.com/vide.htm (IDE ONLY)

http://www.mingw.org/index.shtml (MinGW compiler only)

ftp://ftpd.borland.com/download/bcppbuilder/freecommandLinetools.exe
(Borland Compiler only)

http://www.delorie.com/ (DJGPP compiler only)

http://www.digitalmars.com/ (Digital Mars compiler only)

http://www.openwatcom.org/ (Watcom compiler and IDE)