    any help appreciated.

    regards
    dfg

    Newsnet Customer, Aug 25, 2003

  2. Newsnet Customer

    Bob Jacobs Guest

    Re: IDE compatiable with MS Visual C++

    "Newsnet Customer" <> wrote in message
    news:3f49efba$...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for an IDE, which is compatible with Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0.
    > What I mean by compatible is that when I port code from an IDE onto MS
    > Visual C++ and compile it, it won't complain about errors.
    >
    > The IDEs I have tried is:
    >
    > - Dev C++ 4.9.8.0
    >

    > any help appreciated.

    Unfortunately, VC++ 6.0 doesn't conform to the C++ standard in a number of
    areas, as it's quite an old version of the Microsoft compiler. You're
    therefore likely to find a number of inconsistencies if you port code from
    another environment.

    Bob Jacobs, Aug 25, 2003

  3. Newsnet Customer

    Attila Feher Guest

    [OT]Re: IDE compatiable with MS Visual C++

    Newsnet Customer wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for an IDE, which is compatible with Microsoft Visual C++
    > 6.0. What I mean by compatible is that when I port code from an IDE
    > onto MS Visual C++ and compile it, it won't complain about errors.

    Then you need a compatible _compiler_, not an IDE. IIRC the EDG frontend
    based compilers have a "broken by Microsoft(R)" mode. I suggest you check
    out this site: http://www.comeaucomputing.com

    If you really need an IDE (and not a compiler) then I am afraid only more
    expensive solutions exist, like the Intel compiler etc.

    --
    Attila aka WW

    Attila Feher, Aug 25, 2003
  4. Re: [OT]Re: IDE compatiable with MS Visual C++

    > great! proprietary software is a real boundary.

    Then don't use it.

    > At least, Sun Microsystems
    > has free compilers for Java, unlike Microsoft!

    Like the Java SDK, the .NET SDK is a free download from Microsoft. Also
    like the Java SDK download, it comes without an IDE.

    You cannot expect companies to offer everything they make for free.
    People who work at those companies have to eat and pay their mortgages
    too. If you really need an IDE that is compatible with MSVC, I'm affraid
    you will have to pay. If you are unwilling to pay you will have to
    settle for a free (non-compatible) alternative, and accept any
    inconviences (like manually converting project files) that may come with
    it.

    --
    Peter van Merkerk
    peter.van.merkerk(at)dse.nl

    Peter van Merkerk, Aug 25, 2003
  5. Newsnet Customer

    Attila Feher Guest

    Newsnet Customer wrote:
    >> Newsnet Customer wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I'm looking for an IDE, which is compatible with Microsoft Visual
    >>> C++
    >>> 6.0. What I mean by compatible is that when I port code from an IDE
    >>> onto MS Visual C++ and compile it, it won't complain about errors.

    >> Then you need a compatible _compiler_, not an IDE. IIRC the EDG
    >> frontend based compilers have a "broken by Microsoft(R)" mode. I
    >> suggest you check out this site: http://www.comeaucomputing.com

    > too bad it ain't free.

    I see. Coudl you give me your address please. I know where will I get my
    free lunches around your area...

    If you think 50 bucks is too much for a 100% standard compiler you really
    need to find another business for yourself. You will be surprised how much
    professional programming tools cost.

    >> If you really need an IDE (and not a compiler) then I am afraid only
    >> more expensive solutions exist, like the Intel compiler etc.

    > great! proprietary software is a real boundary. At least, Sun
    > Microsystems has free compilers for Java, unlike Microsoft!

    You must be out of your mind. Propriatery software?????????? C++ is an
    INTERNATIONALLY STANDARDIZED LANGUAGE! What are you mumbling about? Java
    OTOH *is* propriatery. This is the reason MS was able to scr*w with it so
    easily.

    --
    Attila aka WW

    Attila Feher, Aug 28, 2003
  6. Re: [OT]Re: IDE compatiable with MS Visual C++

    ..

    > >> Then you need a compatible _compiler_, not an IDE. IIRC the EDG
    > >> frontend based compilers have a "broken by Microsoft(R)" mode. I
    > >> suggest you check out this site: http://www.comeaucomputing.com

    > > too bad it ain't free.

    Newsnet customer- Don't waste your time with these jokers. Digital Mars
    makes an excellent free C++ compiler. Here on the download page you'll see
    under "Basic Utilities" files that convert Microsoft compiler command line
    to Digital Mars command line.
    http://www.digitalmars.com/download/freecompiler.html

    Brad Cantrell, Aug 28, 2003
  7. Re: [OT]Re: IDE compatiable with MS Visual C++

    > Newsnet Customer wrote:

    > >> Then you need a compatible _compiler_, not an IDE. IIRC the EDG
    > >> frontend based compilers have a "broken by Microsoft(R)" mode. I
    > >> suggest you check out this site: http://www.comeaucomputing.com

    > > too bad it ain't free.

    > I see. Coudl you give me your address please. I know where will I get my
    > free lunches around your area...
    >
    > If you think 50 bucks is too much for a 100% standard compiler you really
    > need to find another business for yourself. You will be surprised how

    much
    > professional programming tools cost.

    Sorry for not having the luxury of spending $50 on a compiler you jackass!

    > >> If you really need an IDE (and not a compiler) then I am afraid only
    > >> more expensive solutions exist, like the Intel compiler etc.

    > > great! proprietary software is a real boundary. At least, Sun
    > > Microsystems has free compilers for Java, unlike Microsoft!

    > You must be out of your mind. Propriatery software?????????? C++ is an
    > INTERNATIONALLY STANDARDIZED LANGUAGE! What are you mumbling about? Java
    > OTOH *is* propriatery. This is the reason MS was able to scr*w with it so
    > easily.

    Visual C++ is proprietary Software! what are you mumbling about?

    sasasas

    Newsnet Customer, Aug 28, 2003
  8. Re: [OT]Re: IDE compatiable with MS Visual C++

    > > > too bad it ain't free.

    > Newsnet customer- Don't waste your time with these jokers. Digital Mars
    > makes an excellent free C++ compiler. Here on the download page you'll

    see
    > under "Basic Utilities" files that convert Microsoft compiler command line
    > to Digital Mars command line.
    > http://www.digitalmars.com/download/freecompiler.html

    I hear you loud and clear - damn those jokers.

    sasasas

    Newsnet Customer, Aug 28, 2003
  9. Newsnet Customer

    Agent Mulder Guest

    Re: [OT]Re: IDE compatiable with MS Visual C++

    AF> *PLONK*

    "I have nothing against IDE's. I think they're great"

    ---Charles Petzold

    Agent Mulder, Aug 28, 2003
  10. Newsnet Customer

    Attila Feher Guest

    Mike Smith wrote:
    > Attila Feher wrote:
    >
    >> If you think 50 bucks is too much for a 100% standard compiler you
    >> really need to find another business for yourself.

    > Well, now - IIRC, you still need another compiler to use as the
    > "back-end" for Comeau's, so it's really more than $50.

    Could you remind me... how much is gcc? IIRC Comeau support it as back-end.

    --
    Attila aka WW

    Attila Feher, Aug 29, 2003
  11. Newsnet Customer

    Greg Comeau Guest

    Re: [OT]Re: IDE compatiable with MS Visual C++

    In article <bimlp6$ldp$>,
    Attila Feher <> wrote:
    >Mike Smith wrote:
    >> Attila Feher wrote:
    >>> If you think 50 bucks is too much for a 100% standard compiler you
    >>> really need to find another business for yourself.

    >> Well, now - IIRC, you still need another compiler to use as the
    >> "back-end" for Comeau's, so it's really more than $50.

    >Could you remind me... how much is gcc? IIRC Comeau support it as back-end.

    That's correct, for some platforms, we support a number of
    "free" compilers as backends, including some versions of gcc.
    --
    Greg Comeau/4.3.3:Full C++03 core language + more Windows backends

    Greg Comeau, Aug 29, 2003
  12. Re: [OT]Re: IDE compatiable with MS Visual C++

    > > > great! proprietary software is a real boundary.
    > >
    > > Then don't use it.
    > >
    > > > At least, Sun Microsystems
    > > > has free compilers for Java, unlike Microsoft!

    > > Like the Java SDK, the .NET SDK is a free download from Microsoft. Also
    > > like the Java SDK download, it comes without an IDE.
    > >
    > > You cannot expect companies to offer everything they make for free.
    > > People who work at those companies have to eat and pay their mortgages
    > > too. If you really need an IDE that is compatible with MSVC, I'm affraid
    > > you will have to pay. If you are unwilling to pay you will have to
    > > settle for a free (non-compatible) alternative, and accept any
    > > inconviences (like manually converting project files) that may come with
    > > it.

    > This is a bunch of bull. An IDE just creates code that goes into the
    > compiler. It not part of the compiler. DevC++ uses the GNU mingw
    > compiler.

    Next time you post here learn to read first. I never stated that the IDE is
    part of the compiler. However the OP asked for an *IDE* compatible with MS
    Visual C++. He already stated he has tried DevC++, which for some unknown
    reason was apparently not compatible enough with the MSVC *IDE*. With *IDE*
    compatibility I can only assume he means the capability to read&write MSVC
    project and workspace files (!=source files). To my knowledge, of the free
    alternatives, DevC++ comes closest to what one could call MSVC IDE
    compatibility (but apparently not close enough for the OP). Yes, DevC++ can
    import .dsp files (though it tends to crash if you do so), but it cannot
    export them, nor can it read or write .dsw files. This may be inconvenient
    in some cases. Whether the inconvenience justifies buying the real thing (or
    not) is an individual decision.

    > It can be configured to make compatable code with MS VC++6.
    > You dont have to change the IDE. If you want to be stupid like the
    > have access to librarys that go into making funcioning windows apps,
    > then by all means pay through the nose.

    No one said that here. I guess you have been listening to a little voice in
    your head rather than reading the postings.

    FYI: DevC++ has been developed with proprietary software using a proprietary
    programming language (even though it is perfectly feasable to do without
    those).

    > Its not like you have any
    > alternative *cough*opensource*cough* to what the big software companys
    > provide you.

    No one said that that was the case. Only that if one expects free
    alternatives that have perfect (better than DevC++) compatibility with the
    MSVC *IDE*, the selection gets rather small. Non-proprietary free
    open-source software can be a viable alternative for proprietary software.
    Yes, it can be just as good, and sometimes even better than the commercial
    alternatives. I use plenty of non-proprietary free open-source software
    myself. However the sole fact that something is proprietary or not doesn't
    make software inferior or superior.

    What I resent is the attitude of taking free software for granted as opposed
    to being grateful for having free alternatives in the first place. A typical
    software product takes many thousands of man-hours to develop, is it really
    such a crime that companies want to see some money for it?

    --
    Peter van Merkerk
    peter.van.merkerk(at)dse.nl

    Peter van Merkerk, Aug 29, 2003
  13. Newsnet Customer

    White Wolf Guest

    Re: [OT]Re: IDE compatiable with MS Visual C++

    Arquebus257WeaMag wrote:
    [SNIP]
    > This is a bunch of bull. An IDE just creates code that goes into the
    > compiler. It not part of the compiler. DevC++ uses the GNU mingw
    > compiler. It can be configured to make compatable code with MS VC++6.
    > You dont have to change the IDE. If you want to be stupid like the
    > have access to librarys that go into making funcioning windows apps,
    > then by all means pay through the nose. Its not like you have any
    > alternative *cough*opensource*cough* to what the big software companys
    > provide you.

    Take a chill pill pal! I am a previous poster and I did not EVER say that
    you can only make Windows programs with IBM or MS compilers. What I have
    told to him is that what he needs is a compatible compiler and not an IDE.
    For which he is eternally grateful so sent me to hell and I have killfiled
    him. But please take a chill pill and do not make false claims. BTW the OP
    was asking for an IDE (compiler) 100% compatible with VS6. gcc is not.
    Therefore DevC++ is not.

    --
    WW aka Attila

    White Wolf, Aug 30, 2003
  14. Re: [OT]Re: IDE compatiable with MS Visual C++

    > > What I resent is the attitude of taking free software for granted as
    > opposed
    > > to being grateful for having free alternatives in the first place. A

    > typical
    > > software product takes many thousands of man-hours to develop, is it

    > really
    > > such a crime that companies want to see some money for it?
    > >

    > Peter, since your the one who is bringing up this off topic issue, Ill
    > respond, because posters on this thread have been harping about how
    > software companys have to get paid for their work and open source is

    somehow
    > cheating them out of profits.

    To continue this OT thread :)
    I'm not saying open source is cheating anyone out of profits. It just
    requires a different business model. Offering free alternatives doesn't
    violate any ones rights. I actually believe that open source software is a
    really good thing, and actually can help the economy. It enables the
    development of products that would not be viable without the help of open
    source, and forces commercial alternatives to do better. This is one of the
    reasons I signed this petition: http://petition.eurolinux.org/, and I urge
    you to do the same. And no, I'm not a big fan of Microsoft and their
    questionable business ethics. But I realize that any other organisation in
    their position will behave in the same way. It is the result of human
    nature, which is unfortunately very difficult to change.

    However the suggestion that it is criminal to charge money for ones efforts,
    is IMO foolish. Offering a paid alternative doesn't violate any ones rights.
    You are free to buy or not to buy something. If I feel a product is worth
    its money I have no problem purchasing it. If it is not, or there is a free
    alternative which meets my requirements I will go for the free alternative.
    But if free alternatives don't meet my requirements and the commercial
    product is not worth its money, you won't hear me bitching that the
    commercial product is not free.

    If I need some software I expect I have to pay for it because a lot of
    effort goes into making these products. If I can get it for free I consider
    that someone did me a very big favour. Expecting all software to be free is
    IMO being ungrateful to the open source community. People who take free
    software for granted often also expect full support, get rude when they
    don't get it, and are intolerant for any imperfections the software might
    have. Such an attitude might be tolerable if one paid big bugs for it but
    not for free software. I know of several cases of open source authors
    getting demotivated by people like this, and eventually dropping the project
    altogether. I say we can do without people like that.

    > My responce to that is that is that
    > programming tools and software tools should conform to common standards,

    If they don't, don't buy it. If enough people feel that way companies are
    forced to be standard compliant, or simply loose their business. When
    choosing development tools (or any other product for that matter), standards
    compliance is a very big issue for me, even more so than its price. If you
    have ever tried to get a non trivial C++ project compile and work with four
    different compilers and on three different OSes, you will understand why I
    feel so strongly about standardization and standards compliance.

    > and
    > no one company should corner the market for any development tools simply
    > because other companies are unable to make compatible tools to compete

    with
    > it.

    They shouldn't in an ideal world, but it is a common business practise to
    make the life of your competitors as difficult as possible. This is true for
    any line of business.

    > I choose open source not because its free, but because I feel I'm
    > getting the best quality development tools, because the entire software
    > community has direct contol over it.

    That sole fact that software is open source doesn't guarantee its quality. I
    have run into plenty open source projects that are crap, just like I have
    run into many commercial products that are crap.

    > And not only quality, but an open
    > standard that noone will be able to monopolize. This idea is totally lost

    in
    > the US justice systems attempt to stop Microsoft monopoly. They don't see
    > the problem with windows control of the OS market is because competitors

    are
    > unable make a competing OS that will work with software that runs on
    > windows. They instead try to "break up" Microsoft or take their money in
    > damage suits. And don't worry, just because development tools are made

    free
    > to open standards, there will be plenty of software work left.

    Whether development tools are made to open standards and whether or not they
    are free are two independant issues. Free tools can use their own standards
    which no other tools support. Commercial tools can support open standards
    which are supported by many other tools of other vendors. Given the choice I
    would go for the one that doesn't tie me to one particular tool or company.

    And don't worry Microsoft can only go downhill from now (unless something
    really dramatic happens). If you analyse Microsofts situation carefully you
    will see its future is not that bright.

    > You don't
    > hear companies like adobe or descreet complaining about opensource,

    because
    > software like Photoshop or 3Dstudiomax is simply better than anything
    > opensource programmers could ever do.

    Though I agree with most what you say, I don't agree with the last part:

    1. I do believe the open source community can provide better alternatives
    for those products like Photoshop, but apparently lacks incentive to do so
    (most people in the open source community are programmers rather than
    graphic artists).

    2. If they would be facing serious competition from the open source
    community, you can bet they will start to complain and/or undermine the open
    source alternatives, just like Microsoft does.

    3. I don't feel that one should apply different moral standards for graphic
    applications than for software development tools. For the graphics industry
    those applications are what software development tools are for the software
    industry.

    4. Every company will try to corner the market given the chance to do so.

    It is always funny how irrational and emotional people get when things like
    "open source" or "Microsoft" enter the discussion.

    --
    Peter van Merkerk
    peter.van.merkerk(at)dse.nl

    Peter van Merkerk, Aug 30, 2003
  15. Newsnet Customer

    foo Guest

    "Attila Feher" <> wrote in message news:<bimlp6$ldp$>...
    > Mike Smith wrote:
    > > Attila Feher wrote:
    > >
    > >> If you think 50 bucks is too much for a 100% standard compiler you
    > >> really need to find another business for yourself.

    > > Well, now - IIRC, you still need another compiler to use as the
    > > "back-end" for Comeau's, so it's really more than $50.

    > Could you remind me... how much is gcc? IIRC Comeau support it as back-end.

    Check out the following links for free compilers and IDE.

    FREE:
    Bloodshed Dev C++
    http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html (IDE and compiler)

    http://visual-mingw.sourceforge.net/ (IDE ONLY) use with MinGW
    compiler
    http://www.objectcentral.com/vide.htm (IDE ONLY)

    http://www.mingw.org/index.shtml (MinGW compiler only)

    ftp://ftpd.borland.com/download/bcppbuilder/freecommandLinetools.exe
    (Borland Compiler only)

    http://www.delorie.com/ (DJGPP compiler only)

    http://www.digitalmars.com/ (Digital Mars compiler only)

    http://www.openwatcom.org/ (Watcom compiler and IDE)

    http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/gcc.html (GCC compiler)

    http://www.eclipse.org/ (Platform indepedant IDE)

    Also check out the following link:
    http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/cpp.shtml

    foo, Aug 31, 2003
  16. Re: [OT]Re: IDE compatiable with MS Visual C++

    Heres a website that lists free C++ compilers. Even micorsofts current .NET
    C++ compiler is available for free download.

    Brad Cantrell, Aug 31, 2003
  17. Re: [OT]Re: IDE compatiable with MS Visual C++

    "Brad Cantrell" <> wrote in message
    > Heres a website that lists free C++ compilers. Even micorsofts current

    ..NET
    > C++ compiler is available for free download.
    > http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/cpp.shtml

    Apparently the link is broken, but re-directs you to another site which
    unfortunalty no longer has the free MS C++ complier. Anyone want to verify
    or provide another link?

    asasas

    Newsnet Customer, Sep 1, 2003
  18. Re: [OT]Re: IDE compatiable with MS Visual C++

    Try this one: http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/downloads/howtoget.aspx

    --
    Peter van Merkerk
    peter.van.merkerk(at)dse.nl