C++ IDE recommendations? Pu239, Dev-C++, Chimera, Builder, vc++?

Discussion in 'C++' started by Brian P. Barnes, Jul 19, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I have been out of the C++ GUI programming biz for about 5 years,
    writing mostly Perl web interfaces and automated, system level tools
    without GUIs. I need

    I need a slick, C++ IDE to write GUIs with virtual windows, bitmap
    support and good control widgets for image manipulation. My first
    project is an IMAGE COMPARATOR!

    * directory selector
    * thumbnail display
    * side by side image display (X by Y display, default 2:1)
    * simultaneously panning and zooming of all windows
    * sliders for X, Y, and Zoom (move/zoom all images)

    3rd party, IDE documentation would be most helpful. The tools I have in
    mind are going to be used with Photoshop so I need them to run on
    windoze. Price is secondary to effectiveness as I need top of the line
    tools (but I would rather not make b gates any richer).

    The top 3 Google hits for "c++ IDE review" average 7 years old. PCMag
    has nada. Each company page seems viable. Where are the consumer reports
    reviews? Any recommendations?

    Thank you,

    BrianP

    Brian P. Barnes, Jul 19, 2003

  2. Brian P. Barnes wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have been out of the C++ GUI programming biz for about 5 years,
    > writing mostly Perl web interfaces and automated, system level tools
    > without GUIs. I need

    Go on ... ?

    > I need a slick, C++ IDE to write GUIs with virtual windows, bitmap
    > support and good control widgets for image manipulation. My first
    > project is an IMAGE COMPARATOR!
    >
    > # directory selector
    > # thumbnail display
    > # side by side image display (X by Y display, default 2:1)
    > # simultaneously panning and zooming of all windows
    > # sliders for X, Y, and Zoom (move/zoom all images)
    >
    > 3rd party, IDE documentation would be most helpful. The tools I have in
    > mind are going to be used with Photoshop so I need them to run on
    > windoze. Price is secondary to effectiveness as I need top of the line
    > tools (but I would rather not make b gates any richer).
    >
    > The top 3 Google hits for "c++ IDE review" average 7 years old. PCMag
    > has nada. Each company page seems viable. Where are the consumer reports
    > reviews? Any recommendations?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > BrianP

    That would be easy enough using Borland C++ Builder. I have no
    experience with the other systems you mention.

    Regards,
    Buster

    Buster Copley, Jul 19, 2003