    (Sorry if this is off topic, c.l.c is just about the language, correct?)
    --
    Reclaim Your Inbox! http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird

    Jonathan Pritchard, Aug 28, 2006

  2. Jonathan Pritchard

    ed Guest

    Look into vim, http://www.vim.org/

    --
    Regards, Ed :: http://www.s5h.net
    just another unix hacker

    ed, Aug 28, 2006

  3. Jonathan Pritchard

    jmcgill Guest

    ed wrote:

    > Look into vim, http://www.vim.org/

    Hi Ed! Do you happen to have vim macros that do language-specific
    bindings for things like keyword completion, filling parameter lists for
    known library functions, or idiomatic code generation?

    I love vim to death but whenever I see some of the things certain IDEs
    can do, I find myself *wanting* those things.

    jmcgill, Aug 28, 2006
  4. Jonathan Pritchard, Aug 28, 2006
  5. Jonathan Pritchard

    Flash Gordon Guest

    ed wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 17:46:12 +0100
    > Jonathan Pritchard <> wrote:
    >
    >> Out of which of the Microsoft Visual C++ range would anyone recommend?
    >>
    >> I've been using Dev-C++, but I'd like code completion and I guess I
    >> want to see what a commercial IDE looks like.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.

    > Look into vim, http://www.vim.org/

    That only addresses at most one of the OPs reasons.

    A better option to address all of the OPs requirements is to download
    the latest free version of MS Visual Studio from the MS web site. A look
    at http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/C_IDEs might also be of interest.

    Finally, this really is OT for this group since it is about tool chains
    rather than C, and the best advice about IDEs for Windows will be found
    on the Windows groups.
    --
    Flash Gordon

    Flash Gordon, Aug 28, 2006
  6. Jonathan Pritchard

    Al Balmer Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Out of which of the Microsoft Visual C++ range would anyone recommend?
    >I've been using Dev-C++, but I'd like code completion and I guess I want
    >to see what a commercial IDE looks like.
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >(Sorry if this is off topic, c.l.c is just about the language, correct?)

    Correct. Don't do things you have to be sorry about.

    --
    Al Balmer
    Sun City, AZ

    Al Balmer, Aug 28, 2006
  7. Jonathan Pritchard

    jacob navia Guest

    Jonathan Pritchard wrote:
    > Out of which of the Microsoft Visual C++ range would anyone recommend?
    > I've been using Dev-C++, but I'd like code completion and I guess I want
    > to see what a commercial IDE looks like.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > (Sorry if this is off topic, c.l.c is just about the language, correct?)

    The IDE of the lcc-win32 compiler system features:

    o Code completion (escape key)
    o fields of structures appear automatically when you type
    structureName.
    or structureName->

    Now, this happens even if you do it inside a comment or a character
    string... but that is a small bug that I will correct ASAP... :)

    It has also:

    o project management (automatic makefile generation)
    o windowed debugger
    o Where is this identifier USED? (Ctrl+F8)
    o List of all functions in a file. Jump to any with a double click
    o Software metrics: measure the complexity of your code
    o Goto definition of any symbol.
    o Spelling checker (like Word, it underlines misspelled identifiers).
    This is the only IDE in the world that does this.
    o Syntax checking when saving (mismatched parentheses, brackets,
    or braces). It will tell you when the mismatched element started,
    i.e. it will tell you where the badly closed braces OPENS.
    o Utilities like diff, grep are built in.
    o Regular expression search.

    It has a bad press in this group, so it is not listed in the
    clc wiki page.

    Price:

    Zero dollars and zero cents.

    Download it from:

    http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32.

    Attention this is a C only IDE. No C++.
    Compiler, linker and ressource editor/compiler included.

    jacob navia, Aug 29, 2006
  8. Jonathan Pritchard

    CBFalconer Guest

    jacob navia wrote:
    > Jonathan Pritchard wrote:
    >
    >> Out of which of the Microsoft Visual C++ range would anyone
    >> recommend? I've been using Dev-C++, but I'd like code completion
    >> and I guess I want to see what a commercial IDE looks like.

    > The IDE of the lcc-win32 compiler system features:

    .... snip ...

    > It has a bad press in this group, so it is not listed in the
    > clc wiki page.

    The reason for the bad press is the plethora of non-standard
    extensions which, as far as I can tell, cannot be firmly turned off
    so as to compile only standard C. The IDE is quite good, but IDEs
    in general are unnecessary baggage.

    --
    Chuck F () ()
    <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net> USE maineline address!

    CBFalconer, Aug 30, 2006
  9. Jonathan Pritchard

    wmaple Guest

    There are many advantages of lcc. But, it's not convenient to complie some trivial programs
    because i have to create projects which sre unnessary in this situation. Can lcc work like
    turbo c which complie source code without creating a project?

    wmaple, Aug 30, 2006
  10. Jonathan Pritchard

    Joe Wright Guest

    CBFalconer wrote:
    > jacob navia wrote:
    >> Jonathan Pritchard wrote:
    >>
    >>> Out of which of the Microsoft Visual C++ range would anyone
    >>> recommend? I've been using Dev-C++, but I'd like code completion
    >>> and I guess I want to see what a commercial IDE looks like.

    >> The IDE of the lcc-win32 compiler system features:
    >>

    > ... snip ...
    >> It has a bad press in this group, so it is not listed in the
    >> clc wiki page.

    > The reason for the bad press is the plethora of non-standard
    > extensions which, as far as I can tell, cannot be firmly turned off
    > so as to compile only standard C. The IDE is quite good, but IDEs
    > in general are unnecessary baggage.

    Agreed. I use C, Clipper and Visual FoxPro on a daily basis. I do use
    the IDE of VFP because it's convenient. For C I use edit.com or vi
    (Unix) and for Clipper, edit.com. I have tried several IDE's but none
    have been particularly compelling. I do miss WordStar from 20 years ago
    or so.

    --
    Joe Wright
    --- Albert Einstein ---

    Joe Wright, Aug 30, 2006
  11. Jonathan Pritchard

    Flash Gordon Guest

    jacob navia wrote:

    <snip lcc-win32>

    > It has a bad press in this group, so it is not listed in the
    > clc wiki page.

    Actually it is up there under compilers. This is not an attack on you
    since several other compiler+IDE systems are under compiler rather than
    IDE. So the OP should also look at http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/C_compilers

    See, we are not out to get you as much as you think.

    > Price:
    >
    > Zero dollars and zero cents.

    For personal use, which is probably fine for the OP but not for
    everyone.http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/C_compilers
    --
    Flash Gordon

    Flash Gordon, Aug 30, 2006
  12. Jonathan Pritchard

    Richard Bos Guest

    wmaple <> wrote:

    > There are many advantages of lcc.

    Yes. One of them is that Pelle's C is based on it. Since that product
    does not depend on extensive spamming to get attention, unlike one other
    lcc-based IDE which one could (but should not) mention, I recommend that
    if you want lcc, you try Pelle's C.

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Aug 30, 2006
  13. Jonathan Pritchard

    jacob navia Guest

    wmaple wrote:
    > There are many advantages of lcc. But, it's not convenient to complie some trivial programs
    > because i have to create projects which sre unnessary in this situation. Can lcc work like
    > turbo c which complie source code without creating a project?

    Yes. You write a new file, and if you do not have a project created
    the IDE creates one for you automatically.

    jacob navia, Aug 30, 2006
  14. Jonathan Pritchard

    jacob navia Guest

    Richard Bos wrote:
    > wmaple <> wrote:
    >

    >>There are many advantages of lcc.

    > Yes. One of them is that Pelle's C is based on it. Since that product
    > does not depend on extensive spamming to get attention, unlike one other
    > lcc-based IDE which one could (but should not) mention, I recommend that
    > if you want lcc, you try Pelle's C.
    >
    > Richard

    You should have included the URL:

    http://smorgasbordet.com/phpBB2/index.php

    jacob navia, Aug 30, 2006
  15. jacob navia said:

    > wmaple wrote:
    >> There are many advantages of lcc. But, it's not convenient to complie
    >> some trivial programs
    >> because i have to create projects which sre unnessary in this situation.
    >> Can lcc work like turbo c which complie source code without creating a
    >> project?

    > Yes. You write a new file, and if you do not have a project created
    > the IDE creates one for you automatically.

    Oh, so by "Yes" you mean "No"? He asked whether it's possible to compile
    source code /without/ creating a project. When your IDE automatically
    creates a project, it violates the OP's constraint.

    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

    Richard Heathfield, Aug 30, 2006
  16. jacob navia <> writes:
    > Richard Bos wrote:
    >> wmaple <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>There are many advantages of lcc.

    >> Yes. One of them is that Pelle's C is based on it. Since that product
    >> does not depend on extensive spamming to get attention, unlike one other
    >> lcc-based IDE which one could (but should not) mention, I recommend that
    >> if you want lcc, you try Pelle's C.
    >> Richard

    > You should have included the URL:
    >
    > http://smorgasbordet.com/phpBB2/index.php

    That's a discussion forum. The home page for the compiler appears to be:

    http://www.smorgasbordet.com/pellesc/

    Keith Thompson, Aug 30, 2006
  17. Jonathan Pritchard

    jacob navia Guest

    wmaple wrote:
    > There are many advantages of lcc. But, it's not convenient to complie some trivial programs
    > because i have to create projects which sre unnessary in this situation. Can lcc work like
    > turbo c which complie source code without creating a project?

    Maybe I misunderstood you.

    You mean the command line compiler?

    It just works like borland, instead of bcc you write lcc and
    it compiles without creating a project at all.

    The lcc utility does not make a link. The linker is called
    lcclnk, but if you just want a one stop command line use
    the "lc" utility that will compile and link.

    jacob

    jacob navia, Aug 30, 2006
  18. Jonathan Pritchard

    jacob navia Guest

    Holidays are over

    Richard Heathfield wrote:

    [snip]

    Holidays over Heathfield?

    Back at writing nonsense again?

    Welcome back...

    jacob navia, Aug 30, 2006
  19. Re: Holidays are over

    jacob navia said:

    > Back at writing nonsense again?

    If by "writing nonsense" you mean "correcting manifestly incorrect
    assertions", then yes.

    Richard Heathfield, Aug 30, 2006
  20. Jonathan Pritchard

    Richard Bos Guest

    Jonathan Pritchard <> wrote:

    > Out of which of the Microsoft Visual C++ range would anyone recommend?
    > I've been using Dev-C++, but I'd like code completion and I guess I want
    > to see what a commercial IDE looks like.

    Apart from the other answers, you might want to take a look at
    Code::Blocks. I haven't checked if it does code completion (which I
    don't use myself), but it certainly has a lot of features.

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Aug 30, 2006