C IDE Recommendations

Jonathan Pritchard

Out of which of the Microsoft Visual C++ range would anyone recommend?
I've been using Dev-C++, but I'd like code completion and I guess I want
to see what a commercial IDE looks like.

Thanks in advance.

(Sorry if this is off topic, c.l.c is just about the language, correct?)

jmcgill

ed said:

Hi Ed! Do you happen to have vim macros that do language-specific
bindings for things like keyword completion, filling parameter lists for
known library functions, or idiomatic code generation?

I love vim to death but whenever I see some of the things certain IDEs
can do, I find myself *wanting* those things.

Flash Gordon

ed said:

That only addresses at most one of the OPs reasons.

A better option to address all of the OPs requirements is to download
the latest free version of MS Visual Studio from the MS web site. A look
at http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/C_IDEs might also be of interest.

Finally, this really is OT for this group since it is about tool chains
rather than C, and the best advice about IDEs for Windows will be found
on the Windows groups.

Al Balmer

Out of which of the Microsoft Visual C++ range would anyone recommend?
I've been using Dev-C++, but I'd like code completion and I guess I want
to see what a commercial IDE looks like.

Thanks in advance.

(Sorry if this is off topic, c.l.c is just about the language, correct?)

Correct. Don't do things you have to be sorry about.

jacob navia

Jonathan said:
Out of which of the Microsoft Visual C++ range would anyone recommend?
I've been using Dev-C++, but I'd like code completion and I guess I want
to see what a commercial IDE looks like.

Thanks in advance.

(Sorry if this is off topic, c.l.c is just about the language, correct?)

The IDE of the lcc-win32 compiler system features:

o Code completion (escape key)
o fields of structures appear automatically when you type
structureName.
or structureName->

Now, this happens even if you do it inside a comment or a character
string... but that is a small bug that I will correct ASAP... :)

It has also:

o project management (automatic makefile generation)
o windowed debugger
o Where is this identifier USED? (Ctrl+F8)
o List of all functions in a file. Jump to any with a double click
o Software metrics: measure the complexity of your code
o Goto definition of any symbol.
o Spelling checker (like Word, it underlines misspelled identifiers).
This is the only IDE in the world that does this.
o Syntax checking when saving (mismatched parentheses, brackets,
or braces). It will tell you when the mismatched element started,
i.e. it will tell you where the badly closed braces OPENS.
o Utilities like diff, grep are built in.
o Regular expression search.

It has a bad press in this group, so it is not listed in the
clc wiki page.

Price:

Zero dollars and zero cents.

Download it from:

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32.

Attention this is a C only IDE. No C++.
Compiler, linker and ressource editor/compiler included.

CBFalconer

jacob said:
The IDE of the lcc-win32 compiler system features:
.... snip ...

It has a bad press in this group, so it is not listed in the
clc wiki page.

The reason for the bad press is the plethora of non-standard
extensions which, as far as I can tell, cannot be firmly turned off
so as to compile only standard C. The IDE is quite good, but IDEs
in general are unnecessary baggage.

wmaple

There are many advantages of lcc. But, it's not convenient to complie some trivial programs
because i have to create projects which sre unnessary in this situation. Can lcc work like
turbo c which complie source code without creating a project?

Joe Wright

CBFalconer said:
The reason for the bad press is the plethora of non-standard
extensions which, as far as I can tell, cannot be firmly turned off
so as to compile only standard C. The IDE is quite good, but IDEs
in general are unnecessary baggage.

Agreed. I use C, Clipper and Visual FoxPro on a daily basis. I do use
the IDE of VFP because it's convenient. For C I use edit.com or vi
(Unix) and for Clipper, edit.com. I have tried several IDE's but none
have been particularly compelling. I do miss WordStar from 20 years ago
or so.

Flash Gordon

jacob navia wrote:

It has a bad press in this group, so it is not listed in the
clc wiki page.

Actually it is up there under compilers. This is not an attack on you
since several other compiler+IDE systems are under compiler rather than
IDE. So the OP should also look at http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/C_compilers

See, we are not out to get you as much as you think.
Price:

Zero dollars and zero cents.

For personal use, which is probably fine for the OP but not for
everyone.http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/C_compilers

Richard Bos

wmaple said:
There are many advantages of lcc.

Yes. One of them is that Pelle's C is based on it. Since that product
does not depend on extensive spamming to get attention, unlike one other
lcc-based IDE which one could (but should not) mention, I recommend that
if you want lcc, you try Pelle's C.

Richard

jacob navia

wmaple said:
There are many advantages of lcc. But, it's not convenient to complie some trivial programs
because i have to create projects which sre unnessary in this situation. Can lcc work like
turbo c which complie source code without creating a project?

Yes. You write a new file, and if you do not have a project created
the IDE creates one for you automatically.

Richard Heathfield

jacob navia said:
Yes. You write a new file, and if you do not have a project created
the IDE creates one for you automatically.

Oh, so by "Yes" you mean "No"? He asked whether it's possible to compile
source code /without/ creating a project. When your IDE automatically
creates a project, it violates the OP's constraint.

jacob navia

wmaple said:
There are many advantages of lcc. But, it's not convenient to complie some trivial programs
because i have to create projects which sre unnessary in this situation. Can lcc work like
turbo c which complie source code without creating a project?

Maybe I misunderstood you.

You mean the command line compiler?

It just works like borland, instead of bcc you write lcc and
it compiles without creating a project at all.

The lcc utility does not make a link. The linker is called
lcclnk, but if you just want a one stop command line use
the "lc" utility that will compile and link.

jacob

jacob navia

Richard Heathfield wrote:

[snip]

Holidays over Heathfield?

Back at writing nonsense again?

Welcome back...

Richard Bos

Jonathan Pritchard said:
Out of which of the Microsoft Visual C++ range would anyone recommend?
I've been using Dev-C++, but I'd like code completion and I guess I want
to see what a commercial IDE looks like.

Apart from the other answers, you might want to take a look at
Code::Blocks. I haven't checked if it does code completion (which I
don't use myself), but it certainly has a lot of features.

Richard