C++ in data plane

vijay

Hi Folks,

There is a general belief around the embedded community that extensive
use of C++ (oops) will slow
down the system.

can somebody on the forum throw some light on this issue...

regards,

Ian Collins

vijay said:
Hi Folks,

There is a general belief around the embedded community that extensive
use of C++ (oops) will slow
down the system.
FUD.
Your sig is missing the space after the --

Ian Collins

vijay wrote:

Some context would been helpful..
Mr. Ian,

some answers would have been helpful..
It is FUD, pure and simple. Badly written code in any language can slow
a system. Maybe C++ provide more opportunities to write bad code than
C, but that's the developer problem, not a language one.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=

Hi Folks,

There is a general belief around the embedded community that extensive
use of C++ (oops) will slow
down the system.

can somebody on the forum throw some light on this issue...

Sure, read the performance TR. It talks quite a lot about performance in
embedded systems and the overhead of specific features along with some
guidelines on how to used it. Published in 2006 so it's quite recent.

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/TR18015.pdf

red floyd

vijay said:
Hi Folks,

There is a general belief around the embedded community that extensive
use of C++ (oops) will slow
down the system.

can somebody on the forum throw some light on this issue...

In addition to what Ian and Erik said, it's probably also a quality of
implementation issue.

A lot of embedded work is done in VxWorks. For years, VxWorks used a
fork of the GCC 2.95 toolchain (this is no longer the case in the
current version of VxWorks).

That toolchain (in my experience) didn't necessarily generate the
world's best code, and by VxWorks' own documentation, had a large
overhead for exception handling.

Note that 2.95 predated the Standard, and that newer toolchains from GNU
and others are much better.

Jorgen Grahn

vijay wrote:

Some context would been helpful..

It is FUD, pure and simple.

And FUD is a term meaning roughly "ill-intended, false rumors".
Not everybody is familiar with the term (or with the Wikipedia as a
tool to look up unfamiliar terms).

/Jorgen

Shadowman

Jorgen said:
And FUD is a term meaning roughly "ill-intended, false rumors".
Not everybody is familiar with the term (or with the Wikipedia as a
tool to look up unfamiliar terms).
Someone can find a newsgroup on the Internet, but can't figure out a
search engine? I doubt that.

Although one of the results that turned up in my search was "Female
Urination Device." I like that interpretation better.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=

Someone can find a newsgroup on the Internet, but can't figure out a
search engine? I doubt that.

There are a lot of questions asked in here that could easily have been
answered by a quick search.
Although one of the results that turned up in my search was "Female
Urination Device." I like that interpretation better.

To each his own. <G>