C++ Interview questions for large C++ projects

Discussion in 'C++' started by tumour@gmail.com, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Dear All,
    I have an upcoming interview with a company and the position involves
    dealing with C++ projects (financial software mostly). I will be
    working in a team responsible for updating, improving, and maintaing
    the company's software.

    In the phone screening they asked me about abstract base classses,
    difference between malloc and new and about virtual destructors, all of
    which went well and they recommended me to brush up on C and C++ for
    the next interview which they said will be very technical.

    I would rate myself a 4/10 (where 11 == Bjarne Stroustrup) and I can
    usually read and understand most C++ code (in gnu libraries etc.). I
    would like to get in shape for the interview though, and lately I was
    going through gotw and some sites like that, and I also hope this forum
    will be great to ask for help as well. I only need some
    hints/suggestions as to what questions might be asked in an interview
    like this so I can be better prepared.

    thanks in advance
    D. Osi
    , Jan 20, 2006

  2. Shark Guest

    wrote:

    > I would rate myself a 4/10 (where 11 == Bjarne Stroustrup) and I can
    > usually read and understand most C++ code (in gnu libraries etc.). I
    > would like to get in shape for the interview though, and lately I was
    > going through gotw and some sites like that, and I also hope this forum
    > will be great to ask for help as well. I only need some
    > hints/suggestions as to what questions might be asked in an interview
    > like this so I can be better prepared.

    Some questions I was asked for an internship:

    * write a skeleton string class, so it has some of the common
    functionality of STL string ( operator<<, substr etc.) without using
    the STL!
    * write a function to print a spiral matrix without using the STL.
    * explain what this code does: {.........complicated pointer stuff, had
    to do with doubly linked lists......}
    * What does volatile do, whats the use of const, but sure you probably
    know this stuff already.

    Shouldn't stuff like this be obvious?!!!
    Shark, Jan 20, 2006

  3. Ian Collins Guest

    wrote:
    > Dear All,
    > I have an upcoming interview with a company and the position involves
    > dealing with C++ projects (financial software mostly). I will be
    > working in a team responsible for updating, improving, and maintaing
    > the company's software.
    >
    > In the phone screening they asked me about abstract base classses,
    > difference between malloc and new and about virtual destructors, all of
    > which went well and they recommended me to brush up on C and C++ for
    > the next interview which they said will be very technical.
    >
    > I would rate myself a 4/10 (where 11 == Bjarne Stroustrup) and I can
    > usually read and understand most C++ code (in gnu libraries etc.). I
    > would like to get in shape for the interview though, and lately I was
    > going through gotw and some sites like that, and I also hope this forum
    > will be great to ask for help as well. I only need some
    > hints/suggestions as to what questions might be asked in an interview
    > like this so I can be better prepared.

    You're well OT here. You know what you know and the interviewer could
    ask anything....

    --
    Ian Collins.
    Ian Collins, Jan 20, 2006