    I've found PHP code, Linux-based tools, commercial product suites, but no
    source code for C#.NET.

    Can anyone point me in the right direction? TIA.

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3IEhheWVz?=, Mar 5, 2007

  2. > I've found PHP code, Linux-based tools, commercial product suites, but no
    > source code for C#.NET.

    Are you finding it difficult to convert PHP to C#, Linux to Windows?
    btw, which products have you evaluated?

    --
    Happy Hacking,
    Gaurav Vaish | www.mastergaurav.com

    MasterGaurav \(www.edujini-labs.com\), Mar 5, 2007

  3. > Are you finding it difficult to convert PHP to C#, Linux to Windows?
    > btw, which products have you evaluated?

    No. I'm not finding it difficult to convert PHP to C#, because I'm not doing
    it. And I have no experience with Linux so I'm not going there either.

    And I can't believe that measuring a clients throughput to your web server,
    something that is common across the web, is so difficult that I have to pay
    for somebody elses product.

    I am surprised at the lack of MS support for such a thing. I would think
    with the proliferation of ASP.NET web applications, that questions concerning
    the performance of a particular app would arise more often.

    It doesn't matter that your web-farm is under-utilised, that you're using
    20% of a 10Mb dedicated line, that your SQL Server 2005 backend cluster sits
    idle most of the time. If the customer calls you and says that your
    application is slow, you have to do something about it.

    Hence the need for a speedtest page within the app.

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3IEhheWVz?=, Mar 6, 2007
  4. "Andrew Hayes" <> wrote in message
    > It doesn't matter that your web-farm is under-utilised, that you're using
    > 20% of a 10Mb dedicated line, that your SQL Server 2005 backend cluster
    > sits
    > idle most of the time. If the customer calls you and says that your
    > application is slow, you have to do something about it.
    >
    > Hence the need for a speedtest page within the app.

    Generally, a speedtest page wouldn't show whether or not your application is
    slow. At most, it would show maximum available bandwidth at the moment the
    test is run.

    If bandwidth is your most important performance issue, then you're in great
    shape! Most of us have more problems with slow code or slow database access,
    or something like that.

    John

    John Saunders, Mar 6, 2007
  5. Slow code and slow DB access are not issues since we knew we could have
    5,000+ users accessing the system simultaneously, hence the dedicated line
    but still we have a couple of customers who call us and complain that when
    they are using the system the response times are slow (this is, clicking on a
    button that performs a function is taking 10-30 seconds instead of the normal
    1-3).

    I'm pretty sure, after stress testing the system with WAS and ACT, running
    relevant perfmon counters for a month, and logs from our data center that
    show we're only using about 20% of the link on average (peaking to 70% at
    month start/end), that the slowdown isn't at our end, but there's just no
    pleasing some people. It's like we're guilty until proven innocent.

    Now, it could be that our ISP is the bottleneck, and I would like to know
    that so we can change if need be. Or it could be that the customers network
    is lagging. Or the users PC is busy doing something and IE is not getting the
    processor time it needs.

    Unfortunately, accurately measuring TTFB and TTLB can only be done from the
    client, hence the reason I want a page within the app that the user can go to
    when they are experiencing some form of "slowdown", that will test bandwidth,
    throughput, response times, etc. and send the report to us and the user.

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3IEhheWVz?=, Mar 6, 2007
  6. As an example, where can I find the source code for a page like this?

    http://tech.msn.com/speedtest.aspx

    Obviously I don't care for the area code portion since our servers are
    outside the US, and I don't think I can include the connection type since
    most users wouldn't know what their company Internet connection really was.

    If push comes to shove I'll just write my own from scratch, but try not to
    make the usual mistakes such as overlooking TCP/IP packet control, timer
    accuracy and precision of results.

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3IEhheWVz?=, Mar 7, 2007