    Rahul Behal Guest

    Hi
    What are the various C Language standards? Where are they available on the internet?

    Rahul Behal, Aug 20, 2003

  2. Rahul Behal wrote:

    > Hi
    > What are the various C Language standards?

    ISO/IEC 9899 is the international standard for C.

    It was first published in 1990, the text being adopted from ANSI's standard.

    The next major revision was in 1999. The current standard is known as
    ISO/IEC 9899:1999. Since 1999, one technical corrigendum has been published
    (known as TC1).

    > Where are they available on the
    > internet?

    ANSI's Web Store has the 1999 Standard (which ANSI adopted in their turn, in
    the year 2000) available in PDF format for $18 (last I heard).

    http://webstore.ansi.org/ansidocstore/default.asp might be a decent starting
    place.

    --
    Richard Heathfield :

    Richard Heathfield, Aug 20, 2003

  3. Richard Heathfield <> scribbled the following:
    > Rahul Behal wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> What are the various C Language standards?

    > ISO/IEC 9899 is the international standard for C.

    > It was first published in 1990, the text being adopted from ANSI's standard.

    > The next major revision was in 1999. The current standard is known as
    > ISO/IEC 9899:1999. Since 1999, one technical corrigendum has been published
    > (known as TC1).

    >> Where are they available on the
    >> internet?

    > ANSI's Web Store has the 1999 Standard (which ANSI adopted in their turn, in
    > the year 2000) available in PDF format for $18 (last I heard).

    > http://webstore.ansi.org/ansidocstore/default.asp might be a decent starting
    > place.

    AFAIK, draft versions of the standards are available for download free
    of charge. They are virtually identical to the real standards, but lack
    any official referential status.

    "My absolute aspect is probably..."
    - Mato Valtonen

    Joona I Palaste, Aug 20, 2003
  4. Rahul Behal

    Greg P. Guest

    "Rahul Behal" <> wrote in message
    | Hi
    | What are the various C Language standards? Where are they available on the
    internet?

    I read the other posts. Are you asking about the standard itself for C (ISO
    IEC 9899-1999 which is roughly 554 pages), _OR_ are you asking about the
    standard functions/types/etc provided for C?

    I did a quick google search for the C standard and found this. I am not sure
    if the draft is the same as mine (official):
    http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/volatile/ISO-C-FDIS.1999-04.pdf

    This is a reference for the standard (C99) functions, etc:
    http://www.dinkumware.com/manuals/reader.aspx?lib=c99

    Greg P., Aug 20, 2003
  5. Rahul Behal

    Guest

    Joona I Palaste <> wrote:

    > AFAIK, draft versions of the standards are available for download free
    > of charge. They are virtually identical to the real standards, but lack
    > any official referential status.

    No, the draft is *NOT* virtually identical to the real standard -- there
    are significant differences. There aren't a lot of them, but they do
    exist.

    -Larry Jones

    Let's just sit here a moment... and savor the impending terror. -- Calvin

    , Aug 20, 2003
  6. Rahul Behal

    Mark Haigh Guest

    Richard Heathfield wrote:
    > Rahul Behal wrote:
    > ISO/IEC 9899 is the international standard for C.
    >
    > It was first published in 1990, the text being adopted from ANSI's standard.

    Could somebody point me to a location where I can purchase the full text
    of the official ISO/IEC 9899:1990 TCOR2? I *want* to buy it, money is
    not the problem, finding it is!

    I don't see why upon making new revisions available, they pull the older
    ones. It really doesn't make sense, as I definitely have a use for
    these standards (and really, so does anybody that writes non-C99 code).
    Currently I use a old draft copy of ANSI C89, with a purchased version
    of the new C99 spec (which more or less documents what is still vaporware).

    Where I can find a way to purchase non-draft versions of:

    ISO/IEC 9899:1990
    ISO/IEC 9899:1990 TCOR1
    ISO/IEC 9899:1990 TCOR2

    Is there some kind of magic phrase I need to utter to the ISO folks?
    (Maybe how I need them to make sense of the C++ standard, isn't it based
    on 9899:1990?) Anything!

    As a last resort, could some kind clc reader please send me some copies?
    Simply reverse the last 3 characters of my e-mail below. I would be
    most appreciative.

    Mark

    Mark F. Haigh

    Mark Haigh, Aug 21, 2003
  7. Rahul Behal

    Greg P. Guest

    Greg P., Aug 21, 2003
  8. Rahul Behal

    Guest

    Mark Haigh <> wrote:

    > Could somebody point me to a location where I can purchase the full text
    > of the official ISO/IEC 9899:1990 TCOR2? I *want* to buy it, money is
    > not the problem, finding it is!

    Why didn't you look in the obvious place? You can download it (for
    free!) from the committee's web site:

    <http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/standards>

    > I don't see why upon making new revisions available, they pull the older
    > ones. It really doesn't make sense, as I definitely have a use for
    > these standards (and really, so does anybody that writes non-C99 code).

    Because standards organizations like ANSI and ISO are used to standards
    for *things*, like nutmeg and bolts and steel-toed shoes. Old revisions
    are obsolete and useless as soon as a new revision is produced. They're
    very slowly beginning to recognize that programming language standards
    are different, but they haven't fully grasped the concept, yet.

    -Larry Jones

    Please tell me I'm adopted. -- Calvin

    , Aug 21, 2003
  9. Rahul Behal

    Mark Haigh Guest

    wrote:
    > Mark Haigh <> wrote:
    >
    > Why didn't you look in the obvious place? You can download it (for
    > free!) from the committee's web site:
    >
    > <http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/standards>

    I have! Quoth the downloadable n2794 document: "Committee Draft --
    August 3, 1998 WG14/N843"

    There's all kinds of different drafts floating around out there; I just
    want the offical ones.

    >>I don't see why upon making new revisions available, they pull the older
    >>ones. It really doesn't make sense, as I definitely have a use for
    >>these standards (and really, so does anybody that writes non-C99 code).

    > Because standards organizations like ANSI and ISO are used to standards
    > for *things*, like nutmeg and bolts and steel-toed shoes. Old revisions
    > are obsolete and useless as soon as a new revision is produced. They're
    > very slowly beginning to recognize that programming language standards
    > are different, but they haven't fully grasped the concept, yet.

    I know; I was just being bitchy. The only change that's really
    necessary is for them to *continue to sell* older versions!

    Mark F. Haigh

    Mark Haigh, Aug 21, 2003
  10. Rahul Behal

    Mark Haigh Guest

    Greg P. wrote:

    > "Mark Haigh" <> wrote in message
    > | Could somebody point me to a location where I can purchase the full text
    > | of the official ISO/IEC 9899:1990 TCOR2? I *want* to buy it, money is
    > | not the problem, finding it is!
    >
    > I did a search for it:
    > http://webstore.ansi.org/ansidocstore/product.asp?sku=DIN EN 29899/A1

    I think the A1 document linked only contains the amendment. Can anybody
    confirm this?

    It looks like the ISO 9899:1990 is available from the ANSI webstore for
    $183. I suppose the best thing to to is to purchase this and hand
    update the document to reflect TCOR1 and TCOR2.

    Thanks for the replies.

    Mark F. Haigh

    Mark Haigh, Aug 21, 2003
  11. Rahul Behal

    Guest

    Mark Haigh <> wrote:

    > There's all kinds of different drafts floating around out there; I just
    > want the offical ones.

    Then look at the Standards page (where I pointed you) instead of at the
    Documents page (where you're apparently looking):

    <http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/standards>

    -Larry Jones

    I've changed my mind, Hobbes. People are scum. -- Calvin

    , Aug 21, 2003
  12. >Because standards organizations like ANSI and ISO are used to standards
    >for *things*, like nutmeg and bolts and steel-toed shoes. Old revisions
    >are obsolete and useless as soon as a new revision is produced. They're
    >very slowly beginning to recognize that programming language standards
    >are different, but they haven't fully grasped the concept, yet.

    I have my doubts about the uselessness of old revisions of standards
    for bolts. If you're in a drawn-out lawsuit over defective bolts,
    the standard that applies is the one in effect when the contract
    was signed or when the bolts were shipped, not one adopted years
    after the bolts failed causing death and destruction.

    Gordon L. Burditt

    Gordon Burditt, Aug 22, 2003
  13. Rahul Behal

    Sven Semmler Guest

    wrote:

    > Then look at the Standards page (where I pointed you) instead of at the
    > Documents page (where you're apparently looking):
    >
    > <http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/standards>

    Yes, and the document says: "Committee Draft - August 3, 1998"
    Perhaps you like to post the exact URL of the document you are refering
    to?

    /Sven

    --
    Sven Semmler http://www.semmlerconsulting.com/
    GPG Fingerprint: 72CA E26D C2A3 1FEB 7AFC 10EA F769 A9A4 937F 5E67

    Sven Semmler, Aug 22, 2003
  14. Rahul Behal

    Guest

    Sven Semmler <> wrote:

    > Yes, and the document says: "Committee Draft - August 3, 1998"
    > Perhaps you like to post the exact URL of the document you are refering
    > to?

    We were talking about the TCs for C90 (which are also on that page), not
    the C99 draft.

    -Larry Jones

    Just when I thought this junk was beginning to make sense. -- Calvin

    , Aug 22, 2003
  15. Rahul Behal

    Guest

    CBFalconer <> wrote [quoting me]:

    >> <http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/standards>

    > That will get him the C99 draft standard, I believe. He is
    > looking for C90. I think someone said British Standards Institute
    > had it available.

    He was looking for the TCs (specifically, TC2) for C90, not the standard
    itself. Links to the C90 TCs are also on that page.

    -Larry Jones

    I like Mom to be impressed when I fulfill the least of my obligations.
    -- Calvin

    , Aug 22, 2003
  16. Rahul Behal

    Greg P. Guest

    <> wrote in message news:nce5ib.cof.ln@dhcp065-029-
    | Just when I thought this junk was beginning to make sense. -- Calvin

    You have the funniest signatures =)

    Does your ng client pick a random Calvin quote from a file when you post? If
    so, what is the ng reader?

    Greg P., Aug 22, 2003
  17. Rahul Behal

    Guest

    Greg P. <> wrote:

    > You have the funniest signatures =)
    >
    > Does your ng client pick a random Calvin quote from a file when you post? If
    > so, what is the ng reader?

    I manually run my postings through a script that appends a random
    signature from a file before posting.

    -Larry Jones

    Start tying the sheets together. We'll go out the window. -- Calvin

    , Aug 23, 2003