C++ linked lists -- searching, merge sorting, , etc

Discussion in 'C++' started by Kakarot, Jun 28, 2003.

  1. Kakarot

    Kakarot Guest

    I'm gona be very honest here, I suck at programming, *especially* at
    C++. It's funny because I actually like the idea of programming ...
    normally what I like I'm atleast decent at. But C++ is a different
    story.

    Linked lists have been giving me a headache. I can barely manage to
    create a single/doubly linked list, it's just that when it gets to
    merge sorting or searching (by reading shit data from text files), I
    lose track.

    .. I have searched google and other search engines, looked at a few
    books on pointers, but haven't found what I need help on: linked lists
    + classes implementation.

    Our course puts a lot of emphasis on using two seperate classes for
    the list and it's components so I am specifically looking for
    tutorials that take C++ classes into consideration.

    Does anyone know of a good book on linked lists and searching/sorting
    algorithms or a website or anything else that can help cuz I am very
    badly in need of it :) ... why ? because one of my courses next
    semester is basically based on linked lists and searching/sorting
    algorithms !! lol ... man it scares the hell out of me just thinking
    about it.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Kakarot, Jun 28, 2003

  2. "Kakarot" <> wrote in message
    > I'm gona be very honest here, I suck at programming, *especially* at
    > C++. It's funny because I actually like the idea of programming ...
    > normally what I like I'm atleast decent at. But C++ is a different
    > story.
    >
    > Linked lists have been giving me a headache. I can barely manage to
    > create a single/doubly linked list, it's just that when it gets to
    > merge sorting or searching (by reading shit data from text files), I
    > lose track.
    >
    > .. I have searched google and other search engines, looked at a few
    > books on pointers, but haven't found what I need help on: linked lists
    > + classes implementation.
    >
    > Our course puts a lot of emphasis on using two seperate classes for
    > the list and it's components so I am specifically looking for
    > tutorials that take C++ classes into consideration.

    Good policy.

    > Does anyone know of a good book on linked lists and searching/sorting
    > algorithms or a website or anything else that can help cuz I am very
    > badly in need of it :) ... why ? because one of my courses next
    > semester is basically based on linked lists and searching/sorting
    > algorithms !! lol ... man it scares the hell out of me just thinking
    > about it.

    Algorithms in C++ by Sedgewick is a good algorithms book and will likely
    cover all the alogorithms you need, but the C++ isn't so great.

    Anyway no need to be scared, you can post your buggy code here, sounds like
    just the thing that this group specialses in.

    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    john
    John Harrison, Jun 28, 2003

  3. Kakarot

    Alex Leung Guest

    A bug fixed with the last post, the word "solaris" should be "SGI", period..
    "Alex Leung" <> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D
    :bdk33m$mb8$...
    > It may sounds a little bit strange, but I really use the STL books to

    learn
    > containers
    > like vector, list, rbtree, etc..
    > the advantage of my style is obvious. my toturial should be the best
    > implementation of all, and also, it's implemented using C++.
    > my suggestion are:
    > The C++ Standard Library, by Nicolai M. Josuttis
    > Generic Programmer and the STL, by Austern
    > The STL source code (Solaris implementation)
    > if you still like a data structure book :
    > Algorithms, Data Structure, and problem solving With C++, by Mark

    Allen

    Alex Leung, Jun 28, 2003