    help/feedback?

    Thanks!
    Tyler Riddle
    Tyler Riddle, Jul 23, 2004

  2. Tyler  Riddle

    JKop Guest

    Tyler Riddle posted:

    > Is it appropriate to run ideas and ask for
    > help/feedback?

    Yep!

    You need to get yourself a good C++ book.

    -JKop
    JKop, Jul 23, 2004

  3. Tyler  Riddle

    osmium Guest

    Tyler Riddle writes:

    > I am just starting to learn C++ and the research I've done so far says
    > I should get a C++ mentor to help get a really strong understanding of
    > OO design. Would anyone here be willing to mentor or does this entire
    > group act as a mentor? Is it appropriate to run ideas and ask for
    > help/feedback?

    A mentor sounds like a good idea. I would guess that well over half of the
    questions you ask here will get the response that the question is off topic.
    Helping people is way way down the food chain of why most of the regulars
    post here; and also on similar groups. But I can't imagine a mentoring
    relationship that is conducted by a keyboard. You need someone you can talk
    to, at least on the telephone, and better yet in front of a blackboard. I
    suggest posting your location, I think it's unlikely you will make a
    connection but there is some *slight* chance that someone in a similar time
    zone might offer some help.

    A college course, providing you are lucky enough to get a good instructor,
    is the best (easiest) way to learn. The object of such a course is to
    write programs that actual run on a real computer; the major goal here is a
    syntactically correct C++ program. The second goal is a very small subset
    of the first goal.
    osmium, Jul 23, 2004
  4. Tyler  Riddle

    Mike Wahler Guest

    "Tyler Riddle" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am just starting to learn C++ and the research I've done so far says
    > I should get a C++ mentor to help get a really strong understanding of
    > OO design.

    A "face to face" mentor would be ideal, but isn't always possible.

    > Would anyone here be willing to mentor

    Yes, many are, and do.

    >or does this entire
    > group act as a mentor?

    More or less.

    > Is it appropriate to run ideas and ask for
    > help/feedback?

    Yes. Good textbooks are also essential. See www.accu.org
    for reviews and recommendations. Also be sure to see the

    Good luck!

    -Mike
    Mike Wahler, Jul 23, 2004
  5. Tyler  Riddle

    ZafT Guest

    > I am just starting to learn C++ and the research I've done so far says
    > I should get a C++ mentor to help get a really strong understanding of
    > OO design. Would anyone here be willing to mentor or does this entire
    > group act as a mentor? Is it appropriate to run ideas and ask for
    > help/feedback?

    I have had great luck getting help on this group. You just can't expect
    anyone to write code for you. As with any newsgroup, you need to try it
    yourself first, try again, and then ask the group. When you post, post your
    code and a detailed but to the point explanation of what you are trying to
    do, and you will most likely get an answer. Oh, and don't top-post. If you
    follow those basics, you will find yourself in friendly company.

    I agree that the best advice is given by a face to face mentor. They will
    have more patience than a newsgroup. There are a lot of great books out
    there. I would camp in a bookstore and find one that makes sense to you
    when you start reading it. If none of them make sense, you need to take a
    college course.

    Shane
    ZafT, Jul 23, 2004
  6. Tyler  Riddle

    Karthik Guest

    Tyler Riddle wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am just starting to learn C++ and the research I've done so far says
    > I should get a C++ mentor to help get a really strong understanding of
    > OO design. Would anyone here be willing to mentor or does this entire
    > group act as a mentor? Is it appropriate to run ideas and ask for
    > help/feedback?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Tyler Riddle

    And yes, don't forget the google archives of the newsgroup and the FAQ .

    --
    Karthik
    Karthik, Jul 23, 2004
  7. Tyler  Riddle

    Mike Wahler Guest

    "ZafT" <> wrote in message

    > > I am just starting to learn C++ and the research I've done so far says
    > > I should get a C++ mentor to help get a really strong understanding of
    > > OO design. Would anyone here be willing to mentor or does this entire
    > > group act as a mentor? Is it appropriate to run ideas and ask for
    > > help/feedback?

    > I have had great luck getting help on this group. You just can't expect
    > anyone to write code for you. As with any newsgroup, you need to try it
    > yourself first, try again, and then ask the group. When you post, post

    your
    > code and a detailed but to the point explanation of what you are trying to
    > do, and you will most likely get an answer. Oh, and don't top-post. If

    you
    > follow those basics, you will find yourself in friendly company.
    >
    > I agree that the best advice is given by a face to face mentor. They will
    > have more patience than a newsgroup. There are a lot of great books out
    > there. I would camp in a bookstore and find one that makes sense to you
    > when you start reading it.

    The problem with this approach is that, if one doesn't already
    understand the language, whether a book 'makes sense' or not,
    is not an indication of whether the book's contents are accurate.

    Unfortunately, there are far more poor C++ books than quality ones.
    IMO probably a result of many simply trying to 'cash in' on the
    current C++ 'craze'. I think a novice should seek out recommendations
    before paying money for books to learn from. A good source is the
    review section at www.accu.org (there is however some controversy in
    this group about the bias of these reviews). You can also search this
    group's archives for posts about book recommendations. Also, the
    more appropriate books will depend upon whether the C++ novice has
    previous experience in another language. (I'm of the opinion that
    C++ is not a good first language for the programming novice).

    >If none of them make sense, you need to take a
    > college course.

    That always helps, but isn't always an option for everyone (it
    wasn't when I first started learning.)

    -Mike
    Mike Wahler, Jul 23, 2004
  8. Tyler  Riddle

    jeffc Guest

    "osmium" <> wrote in message

    > A mentor sounds like a good idea. I would guess that well over half of

    the
    > questions you ask here will get the response that the question is off

    topic.
    > Helping people is way way down the food chain of why most of the regulars
    > post here; and also on similar groups.

    Huh? Helping people is pretty much all this group does (when it's not
    arguing about something or other.) alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ is possibly
    even more appropriate.
    jeffc, Jul 23, 2004
  9. Tyler  Riddle

    tom_usenet Guest

    On 22 Jul 2004 16:11:54 -0700, "Tyler Riddle" <>
    wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I am just starting to learn C++ and the research I've done so far says
    >I should get a C++ mentor to help get a really strong understanding of
    >OO design. Would anyone here be willing to mentor or does this entire
    >group act as a mentor? Is it appropriate to run ideas and ask for
    >help/feedback?

    If you're interesting in getting a mentor, then I'd suggest joining
    the accu (www.accu.org). Check out:
    http://www.accu.org/begincpp/public/

    You'll also need to buy the book "Accelerated C++".

    Tom
    tom_usenet, Jul 23, 2004
  10. Tyler  Riddle

    Default User Guest

    osmium wrote:

    > A mentor sounds like a good idea. I would guess that well over half of the
    > questions you ask here will get the response that the question is off topic.

    Liar.

    I pulled up the newsgroup today and had 700+ new messages. Less than 10%
    were redirects.

    Brian Rodenborn
    Default User, Jul 23, 2004