    Knows anybody the exact caption of the 7 CD's from Visual Studio .NET ?

    thx a lot
    Christian
    Christian Bode, Jan 26, 2004

  2. Christian Bode

    Phlip Guest

    Christian Bode wrote:

    > What are the differences between C++ .NET and C# .NET ?

    The following is made up from no hands-on experience, and reading flames on
    these newsgroups:

    C++ .NET is C++ compiled into virtual machine code so it can run inside the
    ..NET environment. (Traditional C++ compiles directly to machine language.)

    C# .NET is Java with enough features changed so MS can bypass Sun's license
    terms and have their way with it.

    Both systems are carefully tuned to encourage programmers to deliver as many
    ..NET runtime artifacts as possible to end-users, helping to promote its
    critical mass.

    > Knows anybody the exact caption of the 7 CD's from Visual Studio .NET ?

    No. Try a .NET newsgroup.

    --
    Phlip
    Phlip, Jan 26, 2004

  3. "Christian Bode" <> wrote...
    > What are the differences between C++ .NET and C# .NET ?

    They are different languages. They have different set of keywords,
    different grammar... Your question is similar to "What are the
    differences between Latin and Italian". Where would one start to
    tell the differences?

    > Knows anybody the exact caption of the 7 CD's from Visual Studio .NET ?

    Somebody in some Microsoft newsgroup is bound to know...
    Victor Bazarov, Jan 26, 2004
  4. Christian Bode

    Mike Wahler Guest

    Re: [OT, welcome msg, FAQ, link] C++ .NET and C# .NET

    "Christian Bode" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > What are the differences between C++ .NET and C# .NET ?

    C++ is a standardized programming language.
    C# is a Microsoft proprietary language.

    C++ .NET is a Microsoft C++ implementation specialized
    for the Microsoft .NET platform.

    C# .NET is C# for the .NET platform.

    > Knows anybody the exact caption of the 7 CD's from Visual Studio .NET ?

    I suspect all your Microsoft product questions can be answered
    at www.microsoft.com

    If not, try a MS newsgroup.

    Your query is not topical for comp.lang.c++
    (see http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt)

    FAQ about the standard C++ language:
    http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/

    -Mike
    Mike Wahler, Jan 26, 2004
  5. Christian Bode

    Unforgiven Guest

    Mike Wahler wrote:
    > "Christian Bode" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> What are the differences between C++ .NET and C# .NET ?

    > C++ is a standardized programming language.
    > C# is a Microsoft proprietary language.

    Not true, C# is standardised by ECMA.

    > C++ .NET is a Microsoft C++ implementation specialized
    > for the Microsoft .NET platform.

    C++.NET is actually called Managed C++, and there are plans to have that
    standardised by ECMA as well.

    > C# .NET is C# for the .NET platform.

    C# does not actually exist outside the context of the (ECMA) CLI, so saying
    C#.NET would be rather redundant. I've never heard it referred to as such
    either.

    --
    Unforgiven
    Unforgiven, Jan 26, 2004
  6. Christian Bode

    Unforgiven Guest

    Unforgiven wrote:
    > Mike Wahler wrote:
    >> "Christian Bode" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> What are the differences between C++ .NET and C# .NET ?

    >> C++ is a standardized programming language.
    >> C# is a Microsoft proprietary language.

    > Not true, C# is standardised by ECMA.
    >
    >> C++ .NET is a Microsoft C++ implementation specialized
    >> for the Microsoft .NET platform.

    > C++.NET is actually called Managed C++, and there are plans to have
    > that standardised by ECMA as well.
    >
    >> C# .NET is C# for the .NET platform.

    > C# does not actually exist outside the context of the (ECMA) CLI, so
    > saying C#.NET would be rather redundant. I've never heard it referred
    > to as such either.

    Hmm, reading this over it sounds kind of harsh... Not trying to insult
    anybody or act like a know-it-all (because I'm not, really ^_^), just trying
    to prevent misinformation.

    --
    Unforgiven
    Unforgiven, Jan 26, 2004
  7. Christian Bode

    Unforgiven Guest

    Re: [OT]C++ .NET and C# .NET

    Christian Bode wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > What are the differences between C++ .NET and C# .NET ?

    C# (the extension .NET is redundant, there is no non-.NET C#) is a new
    language, designed by Microsoft and a few others, standardised by ECMA, that
    targets the Common Language Infrastructure (also standardised by ECMA).
    Microsoft C# is an implementation of ECMA C# that specifically targets the
    ..Net Common Language Runtime, which is a superset of ECMA CLI. Being a
    language designed from the ground up to fit the .Net platform, it currently
    offers the most complete featureset of any .Net language. It's syntax is
    made to resemble C++ and Java, although there are several rather large
    fundamental differences.

    C++.NET, or actually, Managed C++, is a currently proprietary set of
    extensions to the C++ language to allow C++ compilers (read: MS Visual C++)
    to target the CLI. It is a horrible bunch of ugly keywords starting with
    double underscores. Its main purpose (although MS may claim otherwise) is to
    allow easy transition of legacy C++ code into a .Net application. I wouldn't
    touch it with a 10ft pole unless you absolutely have to.

    --
    Unforgiven
    Unforgiven, Jan 26, 2004
  8. Re: [OT, welcome msg, FAQ, link] C++ .NET and C# .NET

    Unforgiven wrote:

    > Mike Wahler wrote:
    >
    >> "Christian Bode" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> What are the differences between C++ .NET and C# .NET ?

    >> C++ is a standardized programming language.
    >> C# is a Microsoft proprietary language.

    > Not true, C# is standardised by ECMA.

    From what I hear, this is about as good as not having it standardized
    at all. I don't know the exact details, but the basic idea (as I
    understand it) is that most "real" standards bodies won't standardize
    (or incorporate in a standard) things that are protected by patent or
    copyright if they can help it. ECMA doesn't care. Thus you can claim C#
    is standardized, but it's still controlled by Microsoft.

    At least, this is the impression I've gotten from reading a few things
    about it. If I'm completely wrong... well, don't be surprised.

    -Kevin
    Kevin Goodsell, Jan 26, 2004
  9. Christian Bode

    Ron Natalie Guest

    "Unforgiven" <> wrote in message news:bv3rn8$nibm0$-berlin.de...
    > C++.NET is actually called Managed C++, and there are plans to have that
    > standardised by ECMA as well.

    Managed C++ is the C++ compiled for the CLI. C++ .NET is the Microsoft product
    to do it (if it weren't for marketing weenies, it would just be Visual C++ Version 7).
    Ron Natalie, Jan 26, 2004
  10. Christian Bode

    Howard Guest

    "Phlip" <> wrote in message
    > Christian Bode wrote:
    >
    > > What are the differences between C++ .NET and C# .NET ?

    > The following is made up from no hands-on experience, and reading flames

    on
    > these newsgroups:
    >
    > C++ .NET is C++ compiled into virtual machine code so it can run inside

    the
    > .NET environment. (Traditional C++ compiles directly to machine language.)
    >
    > C# .NET is Java with enough features changed so MS can bypass Sun's

    license
    > terms and have their way with it.

    Hogwash. C# was developed by one of the developers of Borland's Delphi
    (Pascal) language, and uses a combination of the C++ language and the neat
    features of Delphi. It's not Java. And *all* the available languages
    compiled in the .NET environment compile to IL (intermediate language),
    which is later (on first use) converted to the appropriate machine code.

    -Howard
    Howard, Jan 27, 2004
  11. Christian Bode

    Chrisw Guest

    "Christian Bode" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > What are the differences between C++ .NET and C# .NET ?

    C++ .NET allows you to write (traditional) C++ apps. that is, the complier
    creates .dll's or .exe's etc. it also allows you to create "managed" C++
    apps-- apps that compile to IL (intermediate language) and use the .NET
    framework.

    C# .NET only allows you to create .NET apps. Basically, it's C++ with M$
    extensions. you cannot create "traditional" .dll's .exe's etc.

    so, if you are looking for the most flexibility I would recommend C++ .NET
    over C# .NET

    -Chris

    --------------------------
    -this is a text, this is only a text
    Chrisw, Jan 27, 2004
  12. Christian Bode

    Jack Klein Guest

    On 26 Jan 2004 19:18:21 EST, "Howard" <> wrote in
    comp.lang.c++:

    > "Phlip" <> wrote in message
    > > Christian Bode wrote:
    > >
    > > > What are the differences between C++ .NET and C# .NET ?

    > > The following is made up from no hands-on experience, and reading flames

    > on
    > > these newsgroups:
    > >
    > > C++ .NET is C++ compiled into virtual machine code so it can run inside

    > the
    > > .NET environment. (Traditional C++ compiles directly to machine language.)
    > >
    > > C# .NET is Java with enough features changed so MS can bypass Sun's

    > license
    > > terms and have their way with it.
    > >

    > Hogwash. C# was developed by one of the developers of Borland's Delphi
    > (Pascal) language, and uses a combination of the C++ language and the neat
    > features of Delphi. It's not Java. And *all* the available languages
    > compiled in the .NET environment compile to IL (intermediate language),
    > which is later (on first use) converted to the appropriate machine code.

    What it is most particularly NOT is NOT topical here.

    --
    Jack Klein
    Home: http://JK-Technology.Com
    Jack Klein, Jan 27, 2004
  13. Christian Bode

    Helium Guest

    > Hogwash. C# was developed by one of the developers of Borland's Delphi
    > (Pascal) language, and uses a combination of the C++ language and the neat
    > features of Delphi. It's not Java. And *all* the available languages
    > compiled in the .NET environment compile to IL (intermediate language),
    > which is later (on first use) converted to the appropriate machine code.

    It is Java with some C++ and some Delphi features. But mainly it is Java.
    Helium, Jan 27, 2004
  14. Re: [OT, welcome msg, FAQ, link] C++ .NET and C# .NET

    Kevin Goodsell wrote:
    [...]
    > From what I hear, this is about as good as not having it standardized
    > at all. I don't know the exact details, but the basic idea (as I
    > understand it) is that most "real" standards bodies won't standardize
    > (or incorporate in a standard) things that are protected by patent or
    > copyright if they can help it. ECMA doesn't care. Thus you can claim C#
    > is standardized, but it's still controlled by Microsoft.
    >
    > At least, this is the impression I've gotten from reading a few things
    > about it. If I'm completely wrong...

    You're completely wrong.

    > well, don't be surprised.

    And I'm not surprised.

    regards,
    alexander.
    Alexander Terekhov, Jan 27, 2004
  15. Christian Bode

    Attila Feher Guest

    Kevin Goodsell wrote:
    >> Not true, C# is standardised by ECMA.

    > From what I hear, this is about as good as not having it standardized
    > at all.

    Whereever you have heard it, it is not a place to listen to.

    > I don't know the exact details, but the basic idea (as I
    > understand it) is that most "real" standards bodies won't standardize
    > (or incorporate in a standard) things that are protected by patent or
    > copyright if they can help it.

    That is why C# is not patented.

    > ECMA doesn't care.

    Could you cite where it is written?

    > Thus you can claim
    > C# is standardized, but it's still controlled by Microsoft.

    AI on arap.

    > At least, this is the impression I've gotten from reading a few things
    > about it.

    Trash them.

    > If I'm completely wrong... well, don't be surprised.

    You are completely wrong. You spread the usual conspiracy theories about
    MS, without proof. And in this case, it is not true.

    --
    Attila aka WW
    Attila Feher, Jan 27, 2004
  16. Alexander Terekhov, Jan 27, 2004
  17. Christian Bode

    Attila Feher Guest

    Alexander Terekhov wrote:
    > Attila Feher wrote:
    > [...]
    >> That is why C# is not patented.

    > Well,
    >
    > http://samgentile.com/blog/archive/2003/02/19/2647.aspx

    This is about patents around CLI (parts of CLI) and not C# - as I
    understand. Anyway, last time I heard someone saying that the standard
    parts of the CLI are not patented. Of course, I might not have the right
    info.

    --
    Attila aka WW
    Attila Feher, Jan 28, 2004