C#.NET Application - Could not establish secure channel for SSL/TL

Guest

I'm running a C#.Net application that is using the HttpWebRequest to upload
an xml file to a https site with FIPS complicancy turned on. On the
"GetRequestStream()" method I get:

"The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish secure channel
for SSL/TLS."

With FIPS turned on the secure website, only a FIPS compliant protocol can
be used. Since SSL is not FIPS compliant then only TLS can be used.
Unfortunately, this protocol is not supported in .Net Framework 1.1.
I then tried recompileing my C#.Net program in Visual Studio 2005. It
mentioned that the .NET Framework 2.0 supprted the TLS protocol. When running
the application, I encountered the same problem. Has anyone found a solution
to this problem?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Bill,

Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
Regarding on the SSL/TLS connection establishing problem, it is really an
existing problem in the .NET framework implementation of the WEBRequest
component. Actually the problem is quite hard to say who has done the
thing wrong. The .net framework's webrequest component address the https
connection and for which currently SSL is widely used though TLS is the
latest standard. Anyway, I've found the following workaround form some
former cases on this problem:

In our code add the below statement before creating and using the
webrequest components....

System.Net.ServicePointManager.SecurityProtocol = SecurityProtocolType.Tls;
Namespace: System.Net

It will force TLS 1.0 instead of SSL V3.

Hope helps. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: C#.NET Application - Could not establish secure channel for
SSL/TL
| Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 14:43:03 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| I'm running a C#.Net application that is using the HttpWebRequest to
upload
| an xml file to a https site with FIPS complicancy turned on. On the
| "GetRequestStream()" method I get:
|
| "The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish secure channel
| for SSL/TLS."
|
| With FIPS turned on the secure website, only a FIPS compliant protocol
can
| be used. Since SSL is not FIPS compliant then only TLS can be used.
| Unfortunately, this protocol is not supported in .Net Framework 1.1.
| I then tried recompileing my C#.Net program in Visual Studio 2005. It
| mentioned that the .NET Framework 2.0 supprted the TLS protocol. When
running
| the application, I encountered the same problem. Has anyone found a
solution
| to this problem?
|
| --
| Bill Larson

Guest

It worked. Thanks!
--
Bill Larson

Steven Cheng said:
Hi Bill,

Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
Regarding on the SSL/TLS connection establishing problem, it is really an
existing problem in the .NET framework implementation of the WEBRequest
component. Actually the problem is quite hard to say who has done the
thing wrong. The .net framework's webrequest component address the https
connection and for which currently SSL is widely used though TLS is the
latest standard. Anyway, I've found the following workaround form some
former cases on this problem:

In our code add the below statement before creating and using the
webrequest components....

System.Net.ServicePointManager.SecurityProtocol = SecurityProtocolType.Tls;
Namespace: System.Net

It will force TLS 1.0 instead of SSL V3.

Hope helps. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: C#.NET Application - Could not establish secure channel for
SSL/TL
| Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 14:43:03 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| I'm running a C#.Net application that is using the HttpWebRequest to
upload
| an xml file to a https site with FIPS complicancy turned on. On the
| "GetRequestStream()" method I get:
|
| "The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish secure channel
| for SSL/TLS."
|
| With FIPS turned on the secure website, only a FIPS compliant protocol
can
| be used. Since SSL is not FIPS compliant then only TLS can be used.
| Unfortunately, this protocol is not supported in .Net Framework 1.1.
| I then tried recompileing my C#.Net program in Visual Studio 2005. It
| mentioned that the .NET Framework 2.0 supprted the TLS protocol. When
running
| the application, I encountered the same problem. Has anyone found a
solution
| to this problem?
|
| --
| Bill Larson

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

You're welcome Bill,

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: C#.NET Application - Could not establish secure channel for
SS
| Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 07:11:01 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| It worked. Thanks!
| --
| Bill Larson
|

| "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > Hi Bill,
| >
| > Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
| > Regarding on the SSL/TLS connection establishing problem, it is really
an
| > existing problem in the .NET framework implementation of the WEBRequest
| > component. Actually the problem is quite hard to say who has done the
| > thing wrong. The .net framework's webrequest component address the
https
| > connection and for which currently SSL is widely used though TLS is the
| > latest standard. Anyway, I've found the following workaround form some
| > former cases on this problem:
| >
| > In our code add the below statement before creating and using the
| > webrequest components....
| >

| > System.Net.ServicePointManager.SecurityProtocol =
SecurityProtocolType.Tls;
| > Namespace: System.Net
| >
| > It will force TLS 1.0 instead of SSL V3.
| >
| > Hope helps. Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: C#.NET Application - Could not establish secure channel for
| > SSL/TL
| > | Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 14:43:03 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > |
| > | I'm running a C#.Net application that is using the HttpWebRequest to
| > upload
| > | an xml file to a https site with FIPS complicancy turned on. On the
| > | "GetRequestStream()" method I get:
| > |
| > | "The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish secure
channel
| > | for SSL/TLS."
| > |
| > | With FIPS turned on the secure website, only a FIPS compliant
protocol
| > can
| > | be used. Since SSL is not FIPS compliant then only TLS can be used.
| > | Unfortunately, this protocol is not supported in .Net Framework 1.1.
| > | I then tried recompileing my C#.Net program in Visual Studio 2005. It
| > | mentioned that the .NET Framework 2.0 supprted the TLS protocol. When
| > running
| > | the application, I encountered the same problem. Has anyone found a
| > solution
| > | to this problem?
| > |
| > | --