    Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language" seems to be good reference
    and a choice of many...can i jump onto it without any other beginner
    level books in c++?

    rhle.freak, Jan 5, 2007

  2. rhle.freak

    yhtch Guest

    rhle.freak wrote:
    > Hi all ,i am new to this group,just starting out programming in c++,i
    > have a good grasp over 'c' and now i am moving onto c++.
    > I would like to know if the oop learning curve is very steep and also
    > could you suggest a standard reference book.
    > Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language" seems to be good reference
    > and a choice of many...can i jump onto it without any other beginner
    > level books in c++?

    Thinking in C++ is also a good book.

    yhtch, Jan 5, 2007

  3. rhle.freak

    rossum Guest

    On 5 Jan 2007 01:25:44 -0800, "rhle.freak" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi all ,i am new to this group,just starting out programming in c++,i
    >have a good grasp over 'c' and now i am moving onto c++.
    >I would like to know if the oop learning curve is very steep and also
    >could you suggest a standard reference book.
    >Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language" seems to be good reference
    >and a choice of many...can i jump onto it without any other beginner
    >level books in c++?

    Many people recommend "Accelerated C++" by Koenig and Moo for people
    who already have some programming experience. For reviews of other
    possibilities see the ACCU (http://www.accu.org/index.htm) book
    reviews section.

    rossum

    rossum, Jan 5, 2007
  4. rhle.freak

    Guest

    On Jan 5, 4:25 am, "rhle.freak" <> wrote:
    > Hi all ,i am new to this group,just starting out programming in c++,i
    > have a good grasp over 'c' and now i am moving onto c++.
    > I would like to know if the oop learning curve is very steep and also
    > could you suggest a standard reference book.
    > Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language" seems to be good reference
    > and a choice of many...can i jump onto it without any other beginner
    > level books in c++?

    Meyer's Effective C++ (3rd Edition) is a great book. I found that it
    was
    useful tool in becoming an intermediate programmer.

    The Sutter books (and others in that series) are useful tools in
    becoming an advanced programmer.

    , Jan 5, 2007
  5. rhle.freak wrote:

    > could you suggest a standard reference book.
    > Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language" seems to be good reference
    > and a choice of many...can i jump onto it without any other beginner
    > level books in c++?

    As Stroustrup himself say recently: there are many people that have been
    able to learn directly form TC++PL, and there are also many that not. If
    you can, only you can know.

    But I suggest you to read "Accelerated C++" first. Maybe you don't need it,
    but it does not hurt in any case.

    --
    Salu2

    =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Juli=E1n?= Albo, Jan 5, 2007
  6. rhle.freak

    rhle.freak Guest

    On Jan 5, 8:45 pm, Julián Albo <> wrote:
    > rhle.freak wrote:
    > > could you suggest a standard reference book.
    > > Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language" seems to be good reference
    > > and a choice of many...can i jump onto it without any other beginner
    > > level books in c++?As Stroustrup himself say recently: there are many people that have been

    > able to learn directly form TC++PL, and there are also many that not. If
    > you can, only you can know.
    >
    > But I suggest you to read "Accelerated C++" first. Maybe you don't need it,
    > but it does not hurt in any case.

    I would like to thank all of you for your suggestions.Thanks a lot !

    rhle.freak, Jan 5, 2007