c++ non-lang tuts, but on linking, libraries, workspaces and includes

paddy

I keep digging through tut after tut and I find lots and lots of C++
logic, but I can't find any straight forward plain and simple info on
the whole linking and library process.

Can anyone recommend a good source to digest that covers what is going
on in this regard? I can get things to work with the 'monkey see'
technique but it is still all voodoo.

I need to understand things like, how make files work, how vc++6
project files work, include paths, lib paths, dll linking stuff and
all that. I really want to know why it works, not just how to drop in
directory paths to stop stuff from breaking. I have had been able to
compile complex (by my standards) open source projects with lots of
dependant libraries to compile etc, and gotten them running, and got
my own projects running that use them, but it is all hit and miss.

I have been programming for about 10 years, but mostly in java, perl,
and php. I have only used c++ for console apps with a few custom util
classes.

Any good recommendations?

Mike Wahler

Re: c++ non-lang tuts,

This group discuss the (ISO standard) C++ language only.
Thus, non-language issues are by definition, not topical
here.
I keep digging through tut after tut and I find lots and lots of C++
logic, but I can't find any straight forward plain and simple info on
the whole linking and library process.

That's because there's no single way that stuff works.
Each compiler/linker package does it in its own way.
You'll need information about the specific package(s)
you're using. This info will come from its vendor.
Consult their support resources (documentation, web
sites, etc.).
Can anyone recommend a good source to digest that covers what is going
on in this regard? I can get things to work with the 'monkey see'
technique but it is still all voodoo.

I need to understand things like, how make files work, how vc++6
project files work, include paths, lib paths, dll linking stuff and
all that.

See www.msdn.microsoft.com for info about Microsoft products and
technologies. That site also contains a list of newsgroups which
discuss their stuff.
I really want to know why it works, not just how to drop in
directory paths to stop stuff from breaking. I have had been able to
compile complex (by my standards) open source projects with lots of
dependant libraries to compile etc, and gotten them running, and got
my own projects running that use them, but it is all hit and miss.

Read The Directions. :)

-Mike