C++ object model

Discussion in 'C++' started by Stephen Howe, Jun 4, 2011.

  1. Stephen Howe

    Stephen Howe Guest

    Hi

    Just interested to know if there have any advances, compiler
    implementation techniques for representing the "C++ object model".

    In terms of background references I have

    "Inside the C++ object model" by Stanley Lippman - dated but very
    useful

    Under the hood for Visual C++
    http://www.openrce.org/articles/files/jangrayhood.pdf

    Technical Report on C++ Performance
    http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/TR18015.pdf

    Mikael Glaad & Concha Batanero paper from 2005
    http://www.idt.mdh.se/kurser/cd5130/msl/2005lp4/downloads/reports/c _object_model.pdf

    Some of Matthew Wilsons "Imperfect C++" touchs on representation
    issues

    Is that it?

    Thanks

    Stephen Howe
    Stephen Howe, Jun 4, 2011

  2. On Jun 5, 12:28 am, Stephen Howe <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Just interested to know if there have any advances, compiler
    > implementation techniques for representing the "C++ object model".
    >
    > In terms of background references I have
    >
    > "Inside the C++ object model" by Stanley Lippman - dated but very
    > useful
    >
    > Under the hood for Visual C++http://www.openrce.org/articles/files/jangrayhood.pdf
    >
    > Technical Report on C++ Performancehttp://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/TR18015.pdf
    >
    > Mikael Glaad & Concha Batanero paper from 2005http://www.idt.mdh.se/kurser/cd5130/msl/2005lp4/downloads/reports/c++...
    >
    > Some of Matthew Wilsons "Imperfect C++" touchs on representation
    > issues
    >
    > Is that it?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Stephen Howe

    Hi
    Before anything, thank you for above references.
    Recently, I prepared a seminar under the title C++ Object Model
    Internal.
    My goal is to explore how object-oriented concepts are implemented
    in typical implementations. My main references are:
    - International Organization for Standards. Final Draft
    International Standard
    (FDIS) ISO/IEC JTC1 SC22 WG21 N3092. Programming Languages - C++,
    2011. Chapter s 9-12.
    - Bjarne Stroustrup. The Design and Evolution of C++, Addison-
    Wesley,
    Reading, MA, 1994.
    - Bjarne Stroustrup. The C++ Programming Language, Addison-Wesley,
    Reading, MA,
    2000. special edition
    - Marshal P. Cline. C++ FAQ Lite. http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/.
    - Kayshav Dattatri. C++: Effective Object-Oriented Software
    Construction,
    Prentice-Hall, 2000. 2nd edition
    I believe, the C++ Performance TR, and the book by Lippman
    are really good for the topic.
    The interesting point is, how typical compilers like GCC, VS, ...
    implement C++0x new features like move special member functions,
    inheriting
    constructors, delegating constructors, thread_local storage,
    constexpr, final and
    override and ...

    Regards,
    -- Saeed Amrollahi