C++ object model

Stephen Howe

Hi

Just interested to know if there have any advances, compiler
implementation techniques for representing the "C++ object model".

In terms of background references I have

"Inside the C++ object model" by Stanley Lippman - dated but very
useful

Under the hood for Visual C++
http://www.openrce.org/articles/files/jangrayhood.pdf

Technical Report on C++ Performance
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/TR18015.pdf

Mikael Glaad & Concha Batanero paper from 2005
http://www.idt.mdh.se/kurser/cd5130/msl/2005lp4/downloads/reports/c++_object_model.pdf

Some of Matthew Wilsons "Imperfect C++" touchs on representation
issues

Is that it?

Thanks

Stephen Howe

Saeed Amrollahi

Hi

Just interested to know if there have any advances, compiler
implementation techniques for representing the "C++ object model".

In terms of background references I have

"Inside the C++ object model" by Stanley Lippman - dated but very
useful

Under the hood for Visual C++http://www.openrce.org/articles/files/jangrayhood.pdf

Technical Report on C++ Performancehttp://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/TR18015.pdf

Mikael Glaad & Concha Batanero paper from 2005http://www.idt.mdh.se/kurser/cd5130/msl/2005lp4/downloads/reports/c++...

Some of Matthew Wilsons "Imperfect C++" touchs on representation
issues

Is that it?

Thanks

Stephen Howe

Hi
Before anything, thank you for above references.
Recently, I prepared a seminar under the title C++ Object Model
Internal.
My goal is to explore how object-oriented concepts are implemented
in typical implementations. My main references are:
- International Organization for Standards. Final Draft
International Standard
(FDIS) ISO/IEC JTC1 SC22 WG21 N3092. Programming Languages - C++,
2011. Chapter s 9-12.
- Bjarne Stroustrup. The Design and Evolution of C++, Addison-
Wesley,
Reading, MA, 1994.
- Bjarne Stroustrup. The C++ Programming Language, Addison-Wesley,
Reading, MA,
2000. special edition
- Marshal P. Cline. C++ FAQ Lite. http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/.
- Kayshav Dattatri. C++: Effective Object-Oriented Software
Construction,
Prentice-Hall, 2000. 2nd edition
I believe, the C++ Performance TR, and the book by Lippman
are really good for the topic.
The interesting point is, how typical compilers like GCC, VS, ...
implement C++0x new features like move special member functions,
inheriting
constructors, delegating constructors, thread_local storage,
constexpr, final and
override and ...

Regards,
-- Saeed Amrollahi