C++: OO methodologies

Discussion in 'C++' started by A, Nov 26, 2003.

  1. A

    A Guest

    Hi,

    I have some questions about object-orientated methodologies in the context
    of C++:

    1) What does object-based mean and object-orientated mean? All i know is
    that object orientated builds neatly into object-based.

    2) What are the 3-4 most important features of OO programming languages? I
    gather they are:
    - inheritance
    - polymorphism
    - ?
    - ?

    3) How have these features benefit the programmer? I gather:
    - reuse
    - reliability
    - ease of development
    - maintenance

    but how exactly?

    Any help appreciated.

    Regards,

    A, Nov 26, 2003

  2. On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 23:23:05 +1030, A wrote:

    > I have some questions about object-orientated methodologies in the context
    > of C++:

    [snip]
    > Any help appreciated.

    Methinks the best help you can get is no help, since that will force you
    to do your own homework, which may cause you to learn something, which
    might make you pass your exams.

    --
    NPV

    "the large print giveth, and the small print taketh away"
    Tom Waits - Step right up

    Nils Petter Vaskinn, Nov 26, 2003

  3. A wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have some questions about object-orientated methodologies in the context
    > of C++:
    >
    > 1) What does object-based mean and object-orientated mean? All i know is
    > that object orientated builds neatly into object-based.

    In a book that I read, the author collected the leading OO authorities
    in a room and wouldn't let them out until they defined the meaning
    of object-oriented. Alas, none could agree on a single definition,
    but they could come up with a list common elements of Object Oriented
    programming.

    Good luck. Try reading through the news:comp.object newsgroup.

    > 2) What are the 3-4 most important features of OO programming languages? I
    > gather they are:
    > - inheritance
    > - polymorphism
    > - ?
    > - ?

    I only know 1 OO language, but I know the concepts. The concepts can
    be implemented in non-OO languages.

    Why does it matter the importance of the features?
    One should concentrate on know when to use a feature and when
    not to. For example, inheritance should not be used when
    containment will suffice.

    > 3) How have these features benefit the programmer? I gather:
    > - reuse
    > - reliability
    > - ease of development
    > - maintenance
    >
    > but how exactly?

    By asking the Deep Thought computer, one might come up
    the correct answer. But a simple meditation and applying
    the Brainstorming technique, one can come up with a list
    of benefits from the above.

    You might also want to investigate how the OO features
    negatively impact a program.

    --
    Thomas Matthews

    C++ newsgroup welcome message:
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
    alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
    Other sites:

    Thomas Matthews, Nov 26, 2003
  4. A

    jeffc Guest

    Re: OO methodologies

    "A" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have some questions about object-orientated methodologies in the context
    > of C++:
    >
    > 1) What does object-based mean and object-orientated mean? All i know is
    > that object orientated builds neatly into object-based.

    I'm not sure what that last statement means. Most people say that of the 3
    key "ingredients" of Object-Oriented programming, if it just has
    objects/classes then it's called Object-Based.
    As to the rest of your questions (well, that one too I guess), it sounds
    suspiciously like homework, so I won't answer unless you have more specific
    questions.

    jeffc, Nov 26, 2003