    to me to make a choice.

    Thank You,
    Miguel

    Miguel Dias Moura, Nov 10, 2004

  2. Miguel Dias Moura

    Calvin KD Guest

    Hi Miguel,
    What's your programming background? VB or C++? which language are you more
    comfortable with? This will and should dictate your choice. My background was
    in VB and I've been told to write Web Apps. using C++.Net and I have had
    quite a few challenges. Some of the things that I found may be of interest:
    VB
    1. VB is quite popular around the world as people have been using Visual
    Basic programming language for a number of years now so the support seem to
    be a bit more readily.
    2. Case-insensitive. This is a HUGE plus for me because it recognises
    variable names, class names and identifiers as long as you have the correct
    spelling. As a result, it enables you to write codes a lot faster.
    3. Variable Declarations - When you declare a variable, as soon as you type
    the word "AS" then space, all the available data types appear for you to
    select from, which means you don't have to know in advance the data type and
    its exact spelling.
    4. It's more forgiving.

    C++
    With my limited experience in C++, I've yet to find a reason to choose C++
    over VB, but it's my personal view point.

    The end result, what you can do with C++ you will be able to do with VB as
    well unless in a very very peculiar cases which may separate the 2.

    That's my personal opinion.

    KD

    Calvin KD, Nov 10, 2004

  3. > spelling. As a result, it enables you to write codes a lot faster.
    How?

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Nov 10, 2004
  4. Miguel Dias Moura

    Calvin KD Guest

    For example: a text box id is "txtSurname". With VB you'll only need to make
    sure the spelling is correct so you would type "txtsurname", as soon as you
    type a "." after it, all properties and methods should be displayed as the
    system recognises what you mean. Whereas, with C++, the effort of making sure
    the spelling is correct is the same but with added time and effort of making
    sure you have the letter "S" in uppercase, or else the system will not
    recognises it. The issue will be more apparent as you have a longer variable
    name with different mixes of upper and lower case characters. That's the
    reason why I reckon it will take longer to code in C++ than in VB.

    Calvin KD, Nov 11, 2004
  5. Miguel Dias Moura

    yaip Guest

    Calvin KD <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > For example: a text box id is "txtSurname". With VB you'll only need to make
    > sure the spelling is correct so you would type "txtsurname", as soon as you
    > type a "." after it, all properties and methods should be displayed as the
    > system recognises what you mean. Whereas, with C++, the effort of making sure
    > the spelling is correct is the same but with added time and effort of making
    > sure you have the letter "S" in uppercase, or else the system will not
    > recognises it. The issue will be more apparent as you have a longer variable
    > name with different mixes of upper and lower case characters. That's the
    > reason why I reckon it will take longer to code in C++ than in VB.
    >
    > "Alvin Bruney [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > > spelling. As a result, it enables you to write codes a lot faster.

    > > How?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > > Alvin Bruney
    > > [ASP.NET MVP http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx]
    > > Got tidbits? Get it here... http://tinyurl.com/27cok
    > > "Calvin KD" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hi Miguel,
    > > > What's your programming background? VB or C++? which language are you more
    > > > comfortable with? This will and should dictate your choice. My background
    > > > was
    > > > in VB and I've been told to write Web Apps. using C++.Net and I have had
    > > > quite a few challenges. Some of the things that I found may be of
    > > > interest:
    > > > VB
    > > > 1. VB is quite popular around the world as people have been using Visual
    > > > Basic programming language for a number of years now so the support seem
    > > > be a bit more readily.
    > > > 2. Case-insensitive. This is a HUGE plus for me because it recognises
    > > > variable names, class names and identifiers as long as you have the
    > > > correct
    > > > spelling. As a result, it enables you to write codes a lot faster.
    > > > 3. Variable Declarations - When you declare a variable, as soon as you
    > > > type
    > > > the word "AS" then space, all the available data types appear for you to
    > > > select from, which means you don't have to know in advance the data type
    > > > and
    > > > its exact spelling.
    > > > 4. It's more forgiving.
    > > >
    > > > C++
    > > > With my limited experience in C++, I've yet to find a reason to choose C++
    > > > over VB, but it's my personal view point.
    > > >
    > > > The end result, what you can do with C++ you will be able to do with VB as
    > > > well unless in a very very peculiar cases which may separate the 2.
    > > >
    > > > That's my personal opinion.
    > > >
    > > > KD

    I use VB and I love it.

    For controls that are on a form (or web form), I don't even type in
    the name of the control followed by a ".". I just type in "Me"
    followed by a ".". Intellisense immediately kicks in and I can find
    the control in the popup window just by typing in the first few
    characters of the control name.

    yaip, Nov 11, 2004
  6. In VS.NET, you can type part of the word, lower case or not and press
    ALT+Rght Arrow Key and the IDE will convert the word into its correct casing
    immediately. There's no need to type the whole word. I get by with typing
    two characters or 1 when i am in an extremely lazy mood. So casing or lack
    of it doesn't buy you time. Knowledge of the IDE does buy you time though.

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Nov 11, 2004