C plus plus vs C Sharp

Discussion in 'C++' started by The LoxFather, Aug 9, 2003.

  1. Coming from a VB background, which should .NET language should I
    learn....C++ or C Sharp. Is C++ going to be dead soon?

    The LoxFather, Aug 9, 2003

  2. On 9 Aug 2003 02:47:23 -0700
    (The LoxFather) wrote:
    > Coming from a VB background, which should .NET language should I
    > learn....C++ or C Sharp. Is C++ going to be dead soon?

    Off Topic.
    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.

    --
    char*x(c,k,s)char*k,*s;{if(!k)return*s-36?x(0,0,s+1):s;if(s)if(*s)c=10+(c?(x(
    c,k,0),x(c,k+=*s-c,s+1),*k):(x(*s,k,s+1),0));else c=10;printf(&x(~0,0,k)[c-~-

    Pieter Droogendijk, Aug 9, 2003

  3. The LoxFather

    Rolf Magnus Guest

    [TROLL] Re: C plus plus vs C Sharp

    The LoxFather wrote:

    > Coming from a VB background, which should .NET language should I
    > learn....C++ or C Sharp. Is C++ going to be dead soon?

    Ha! Now I also found one, so:

    This is an obvious troll. Please ignore it.

    Rolf Magnus, Aug 9, 2003
  4. Re: [TROLL] Re: C plus plus vs C Sharp

    On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 12:59:47 +0200
    Rolf Magnus <> wrote:
    > The LoxFather wrote:
    >
    > > Coming from a VB background, which should .NET language should I
    > > learn....C++ or C Sharp. Is C++ going to be dead soon?

    > Ha! Now I also found one, so:
    >
    > This is an obvious troll. Please ignore it.

    Shit yeah, I didn't see the cross-posting. I never do! Thanks.

    Pieter Droogendijk, Aug 9, 2003
  5. The LoxFather

    pete Guest

    The LoxFather wrote:

    > Coming from a VB background, which should .NET language should I
    > learn....C++ or C Sharp. Is C++ going to be dead soon?

    http://www.newtechusa.com/PPI/pressroom.asp#higher

    "Humans and higher primates share approximately 97%
    of their DNA in common.
    Recent research in primate programming suggests computing
    is a task that most higher primates can easily perform.
    Visual Basic 6.0, was the preferred IDE for the majority
    of experiment primate subjects.
    Test subjects with the best results were baboons and bonobo apes.
    Both primate species demonstrated stressful behaviors
    when presented with Java tools and utilities.

    --
    pete

    pete, Aug 9, 2003
  6. The LoxFather

    J French Guest

    I think this comes from :

    http://www.vb-bootcamp.com/PPI/main.asp

    It is actually quite a good laugh

    J French, Aug 9, 2003
  7. The LoxFather

    Razmig K Guest

    (The LoxFather) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Coming from a VB background, which should .NET language should I
    > learn....C++ or C Sharp. Is C++ going to be dead soon?

    If you plan to remain in the MS WINDOWS domain and program for that
    platform, a transition to C# is a better choice. However, if one sunny
    day you'll be considering to program for other platforms ( say
    GNU/LINUX systems ), you'll find that your knowledge of C/C++ is a
    great help. But, after all, your requirements should provide a hint to
    what language and tools you'll need.
    Essentially, you'll be using a language and it's standard library + a
    foundation library that helps programming for a specific platform (say
    Microsoft Foundation Classes MFC for Visual C++ ).

    Good luck.

    //rk

    Razmig K, Aug 9, 2003
  8. The LoxFather

    Brad Sperry Guest

    "Malcolm" <> wrote:

    > "The LoxFather" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Coming from a VB background, which should .NET language should I
    > > learn....C++ or C Sharp. Is C++ going to be dead soon?
    > >

    > If you know VB and have some idea how a processor works at machine level, it
    > shouldn't take more than a few days to learn C.

    Total nonsense, unless by few days you meant few years. C is CPU
    independent, and VB has as much in common with C as a cheeseburger and
    coke has to a hot roast dinner with potatoes and red wine.

    Brad Sperry, Aug 9, 2003
  9. On 9 Aug 2003 07:31:12 -0700
    (Brad Sperry) wrote:
    > "Malcolm" <> wrote:
    > Total nonsense, unless by few days you meant few years. C is CPU
    > independent, and VB has as much in common with C as a cheeseburger and
    > coke has to a hot roast dinner with potatoes and red wine.

    Don't feed the troll

    Pieter Droogendijk, Aug 9, 2003
  10. The LoxFather

    J French Guest

    On 9 Aug 2003 07:31:12 -0700, (Brad Sperry) wrote:

    <snip>

    >Total nonsense, unless by few days you meant few years. C is CPU
    >independent, and VB has as much in common with C as a cheeseburger and
    >coke has to a hot roast dinner with potatoes and red wine.

    ANSI 'C' might be hardware independant

    - but most libraries are not

    And the majority of C programmers can do squat without their libraries

    .... of course Windows is a 'Library'

    J French, Aug 9, 2003
  11. The LoxFather

    Andre Guest

    Stephen wrote:

    > Learn C/C++. Even Microsoft is waning on the .NET foray. Notice it got
    > dropped from the Windows 2003 Server name. The booklet that came with my
    > VC++ 2002 called .NET a revolution in computing yet the booklet that came
    > with my VC++ 2003 doesn't hardly mention it and only gives C++ examples.

    That's because VC++ is about C++, not C#. Flip a few pages and have a
    look in the 'C# Section'. That's like saying "I can't find anything
    about kangaroos in a book about worms"

    > Besides, if need be, you can .NET C++ anyway. C# seem neat, but it is an
    > interpreted language, sort of an enhanced JavaScript, and will have
    > questionable performance.

    C# is *not* an interpreted language... it's a compiled language! What
    did you think the term "JIT compilation" stood for? Really, where from
    do you get your facts? Sesame Street?

    C# gives you very good performance - you should know how to use the
    language to do the things you want done. Secondly, the next version has
    some very neat features, like Generics - that should give a boost to
    overall performance. I've heard the next version of CLR has been tuned
    for performance. Let's wait and see.

    -Andre

    Andre, Aug 9, 2003
  12. The LoxFather

    Stephen Guest

    That's what I heard *someday* Microsoft promises, C# will have performance.
    And in carefully constructed circumstances, sometime in the future,
    Microsoft says might even make it be faster than C++ in the same carefully
    constructed situation. In the mean time though, it's a Java.

    Stephen

    Stephen, Aug 10, 2003
  13. The LoxFather

    Walter Guest

    "Andre" <> wrote in message
    > C# gives you very good performance - you should know how to use the
    > language to do the things you want done. Secondly, the next version has
    > some very neat features, like Generics - that should give a boost to
    > overall performance.

    The D Programming Language, successor to C/C++, already has generics.

    www.digitalmars.com/d/comparison.html

    -Walter
    www.digitalmars.com

    Walter, Aug 10, 2003
  14. The LoxFather

    Andre Guest

    > In the mean time though, it's a Java.

    I completely disagree. For that, you'll have to dig into some
    documentation and do some reading.. there are many articles and papers
    out there that compare Java and C# in terms of many features and qualities.

    -Andre

    Andre, Aug 10, 2003
  15. The LoxFather

    Dan Pop Guest

    In <> (The LoxFather) writes:

    >Coming from a VB background, which should .NET language should I
    >learn....C++ or C Sharp. Is C++ going to be dead soon?

    _____________________
    /| /| | |
    ||__|| | Please do not |
    / O O\__ | feed the |
    / \ | Trolls |
    / \ \|_____________________|
    / _ \ \ ||
    / |\____\ \ ||
    / | | | |\____/ ||
    / \|_|_|/ | _||
    / / \ |____| ||
    / | | | --|
    | | | |____ --|
    * _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
    *-- _--\ _ \ | ||
    / _ \\ | / `'
    * / \_ /- | | |
    * ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

    The Newsgroups header removes any possible doubt about the OP's intentions.

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

    Dan Pop, Aug 11, 2003
  16. The LoxFather wrote:

    > Coming from a VB background, which should .NET language should I
    > learn....C++ or C Sharp. Is C++ going to be dead soon?

    Would you please stop posting this question.
    You have reworded it, but alas, it is the same and has been dealt
    with before.

    Search the C++, C and VB newsgroups for messages that are
    destined for "rec.woodworking".

    If you are going to post again, to the same groups,
    please tell us how you are relating the topic to all of the
    newsgroups you posted to. I don't see the relationship between
    programming and woodworking from your post's content.

    {Programming a robotic woodworking machine would be an interesting
    concept though.}

    --
    Thomas Matthews

    C++ newsgroup welcome message:
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
    alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
    Other sites:

    Thomas Matthews, Aug 11, 2003
  17. The LoxFather

    djinni Guest

    On Sat, 9 Aug 2003, Rolf Magnus wrote:

    > This is an obvious troll. Please ignore it.

    What does 'troll' stand for?

    -dj

    djinni, Aug 11, 2003
  18. The LoxFather

    chris Guest

    Not even to the lions? ;)

    chris, Aug 12, 2003
  19. The LoxFather

    Richard Bos Guest

    djinni <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 9 Aug 2003, Rolf Magnus wrote:
    >
    > > This is an obvious troll. Please ignore it.

    > What does 'troll' stand for?

    RTFJF: <http://catb.org/esr/jargon/html/T/troll.html>.

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Aug 12, 2003
  20. On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 02:47:23 -0700, The LoxFather wrote:

    > Coming from a VB background, which should .NET language should I
    > learn....C++ or C Sharp. Is C++ going to be dead soon?

    Both. No.

    Offtopic in c.l.c
    Probably offtopic in c.l.c++
    Probably offtopic in c.l.v.b
    100% offtopic in rec.photo.equipment.35mm
    100% offtopic in rec.woodworking

    Troll.

    FUT set to alt.dev.null

    hth