C++ Primer, 4th Edition

Discussion in 'C++' started by hajime, Aug 16, 2005.

  1. hajime

    hajime Guest

    I purchased this book: C++ Primer, 4th Edition ISBN: 0201721481 in
    Australia.

    The right side of the last three lines on page 231 are not legible. A
    stain shows a piece of paper was on that part when printed. I checked
    two more local book stores around here, and found all books have the
    same defect.

    I would like to see what should be printed on the page 231. Does
    anybody have a complete copy tell me the last three lines ?

    The last three lines on page 231 in my book are:

    This behavior folows from the normal initialization rules for const
    objects???????????
    tion 2.4, p.56). Because the initialization copies the value of the
    initialize?????????????
    initialize a nonconst object from a const object, or vice versa.

    Thanks in advance,

    hajime, Aug 16, 2005

  2. hajime

    John Ratliff Guest

    hajime wrote:
    > I purchased this book: C++ Primer, 4th Edition ISBN: 0201721481 in
    > Australia.
    >
    > The right side of the last three lines on page 231 are not legible. A
    > stain shows a piece of paper was on that part when printed. I checked
    > two more local book stores around here, and found all books have the
    > same defect.
    >
    > I would like to see what should be printed on the page 231. Does
    > anybody have a complete copy tell me the last three lines ?
    >
    > The last three lines on page 231 in my book are:
    >
    > This behavior folows from the normal initialization rules for const
    > objects???????????
    > tion 2.4, p.56). Because the initialization copies the value of the
    > initialize?????????????
    > initialize a nonconst object from a const object, or vice versa.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,

    You should write the publisher. They would be the ones with a complete
    copy, and they will probably send you a replacement book.

    --John Ratliff

    John Ratliff, Aug 16, 2005

  3. hajime

    cragwolf Guest

    hajime wrote:

    > I would like to see what should be printed on the page 231. Does
    > anybody have a complete copy tell me the last three lines ?

    Hey, I have that problem, too! Looks like a bit of sticky tape got in
    the way during printing. The section is on nonreference parameters; in
    particular, const parameters. Great book, though.

    cragwolf

    cragwolf, Aug 16, 2005
  4. hajime

    ikinal Guest

    This behavior folows from the normal initialization rules for const
    objects (Sec
    tion 2.4, p.56). Because the initialization copies the value of the
    initializer, we can
    initialize a nonconst object from a const object, or vice versa.

    hope that helps.
    Ihor

    ikinal, Aug 16, 2005
  5. hajime

    hajime Guest

    Wow! This is great! Thanks, Mates!

    hajime

    hajime, Aug 16, 2005
  6. hajime

    hajime Guest

    Sure, I did. Hoping to get another copy. I don't want to return the
    current copy because I already made many notes and mark-ups. If they
    send me another one, I'll give it to my friend.

    Hajime

    hajime, Aug 16, 2005