c++ problems

Discussion in 'C++' started by osp, Feb 22, 2007.

  1. osp

    osp Guest

    hi every one viewing this post
    I guess i am having a grand
    start learning c++...where do i get good prolems that are not as tough
    as the acm problems ? please HELP ...
     
    osp, Feb 22, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. osp

    mlimber Guest

    On Feb 22, 5:38 am, "osp" <> wrote:
    > hi every one viewing this post
    > I guess i am having a grand
    > start learning c++...where do i get good prolems that are not as tough
    > as the acm problems ? please HELP ...


    How about the exercises in _Accelerated C++_ by Koenig and Moo?

    Cheers! --M
     
    mlimber, Feb 22, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. osp

    rossum Guest

    On 22 Feb 2007 02:38:17 -0800, "osp" <> wrote:

    >hi every one viewing this post
    > I guess i am having a grand
    >start learning c++...where do i get good prolems that are not as tough
    >as the acm problems ? please HELP ...

    Look at the percentages on the acm problems, the higher the
    percentages the easier the problem.

    rossum
     
    rossum, Feb 22, 2007
    #3
  4. osp

    Noah Roberts Guest

    rossum wrote:
    > On 22 Feb 2007 02:38:17 -0800, "osp" <> wrote:
    >
    >> hi every one viewing this post
    >> I guess i am having a grand
    >> start learning c++...where do i get good prolems that are not as tough
    >> as the acm problems ? please HELP ...

    > Look at the percentages on the acm problems, the higher the
    > percentages the easier the problem.
    >
    > rossum
    >


    acm problems?
     
    Noah Roberts, Feb 22, 2007
    #4
  5. Noah Roberts wrote:
    > rossum wrote:
    >
    >> Look at the percentages on the acm problems, the higher the
    >> percentages the easier the problem.
    >>
    >> rossum
    >>

    >
    > acm problems?


    See http://icpc.baylor.edu/icpc/

    Regards,
    Stuart
     
    Stuart Redmann, Feb 23, 2007
    #5
  6. osp

    peter koch Guest

    On Feb 22, 3:02 pm, rossum <> wrote:
    > On 22 Feb 2007 02:38:17 -0800, "osp" <> wrote:
    >
    > >hi every one viewing this post
    > > I guess i am having a grand
    > >start learning c++...where do i get good prolems that are not as tough
    > >as the acm problems ? please HELP ...

    >
    > Look at the percentages on the acm problems, the higher the
    > percentages the easier the problem.
    >
    > rossum

    I like the idea behind the acm challenge: it is a fun way to learn how
    to program. But the solutions? Horrible - they use C-code such as
    printf instead of streams for example. That is NOT the way to write C+
    + code and it is not the way to teach it.

    /Peter
     
    peter koch, Feb 23, 2007
    #6
  7. On 23 Feb 2007 01:23:29 -0800, "peter koch" <>
    wrote:

    >On Feb 22, 3:02 pm, rossum <> wrote:
    >> On 22 Feb 2007 02:38:17 -0800, "osp" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >hi every one viewing this post
    >> > I guess i am having a grand
    >> >start learning c++...where do i get good prolems that are not as tough
    >> >as the acm problems ? please HELP ...

    >>
    >> Look at the percentages on the acm problems, the higher the
    >> percentages the easier the problem.
    >>
    >> rossum

    >I like the idea behind the acm challenge: it is a fun way to learn how
    >to program. But the solutions? Horrible - they use C-code such as
    >printf instead of streams for example. That is NOT the way to write C+
    >+ code and it is not the way to teach it.


    I've participated in the ACM challenge in college (a long time ago!). The
    program tend to reward correct, but unmaintainable, coding. One-shot,
    throwaway design is the way to win.

    Of course, as long as one understands that and doesn't carry it into their
    professional career, then a fun time can be had by all!

    -dr
     
    Dave Rahardja, Feb 23, 2007
    #7
  8. osp

    peter koch Guest

    On 23 Feb., 16:05, Dave Rahardja
    <> wrote:
    > On 23 Feb 2007 01:23:29 -0800, "peter koch" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > >On Feb 22, 3:02 pm, rossum <> wrote:
    > >> On 22 Feb 2007 02:38:17 -0800, "osp" <> wrote:

    >
    > >> >hi every one viewing this post
    > >> > I guess i am having a grand
    > >> >start learning c++...where do i get good prolems that are not as tough
    > >> >as the acm problems ? please HELP ...

    >
    > >> Look at the percentages on the acm problems, the higher the
    > >> percentages the easier the problem.

    >
    > >> rossum

    > >I like the idea behind the acm challenge: it is a fun way to learn how
    > >to program. But the solutions? Horrible - they use C-code such as
    > >printf instead of streams for example. That is NOT the way to write C+
    > >+ code and it is not the way to teach it.

    >
    > I've participated in the ACM challenge in college (a long time ago!). The
    > program tend to reward correct, but unmaintainable, coding. One-shot,
    > throwaway design is the way to win.


    But even if that is the case, I see no reason why your "write-once"
    code could not be C++. As an example, there is no reason to use the
    printf family when you have streams (and any good C++ course should
    teach streams, not printf - at least not in the beginning).

    /Peter
    >
    > Of course, as long as one understands that and doesn't carry it into their
    > professional career, then a fun time can be had by all!
     
    peter koch, Feb 24, 2007
    #8
  9. osp

    Grizlyk Guest

    peter koch wrote:
    >
    > I like the idea behind the acm challenge: it is a fun way to learn how
    > to program. But the solutions? Horrible - they use C-code such as
    > printf instead of streams for example. That is NOT the way to write
    > C++ code and it is not the way to teach it.


    I want to say, that you can throw away whole C++ stdlib ( and can start with
    ugly std::auto_ptr ), but your code will be C++ correct. C++ is not library.

    And the overloaded "operator <<" you really need only for templated
    functions, when you do not know what kind of data will be outputed at each
    instance or in which stream. Else the "printf" is often better.

    Some programmers rare use iostreams in practical case (and printf also)
    beacause in theirs systems console-like stream output is useless thing in
    the world.

    --
    Maksim A. Polyanin
    http://grizlyk1.narod.ru/cpp_new

    "In thi world of fairy tales rolls are liked olso"
    /Gnume/
     
    Grizlyk, Feb 26, 2007
    #9
  10. Grizlyk wrote:
    > peter koch wrote:
    >>
    >> I like the idea behind the acm challenge: it is a fun way to learn
    >> how to program. But the solutions? Horrible - they use C-code such as
    >> printf instead of streams for example. That is NOT the way to write
    >> C++ code and it is not the way to teach it.

    >
    > I want to say, that you can throw away whole C++ stdlib ( and can
    > start with ugly std::auto_ptr ), but your code will be C++ correct.
    > C++ is not library.


    Learning how to use language without learning good practices of using
    the library is like learning to dance without a partner. One should
    expect big difficulties in the real world, in a real dance hall.

    > And the overloaded "operator <<" you really need only for templated
    > functions, when you do not know what kind of data will be outputed at
    > each instance or in which stream. Else the "printf" is often better.


    Please show me how you can output a class object using printf. I dare
    you.

    > Some programmers rare use iostreams in practical case (and printf
    > also) beacause in theirs systems console-like stream output is
    > useless thing in the world.


    I am guessing you've not one of those...

    V
    --
    Please remove capital 'A's when replying by e-mail
    I do not respond to top-posted replies, please don't ask
     
    Victor Bazarov, Feb 26, 2007
    #10
  11. osp

    Grizlyk Guest

    Victor Bazarov wrote:
    >>
    >> I want to say, that you can throw away whole C++ stdlib ( and can
    >> start with ugly std::auto_ptr ), but your code will be C++ correct.
    >> C++ is not library.

    >
    > Learning how to use language without learning good practices of using
    > the library is like learning to dance without a partner. One should
    > expect big difficulties in the real world, in a real dance hall.


    You setup "good practice" without any provements by your habits only. Today
    C++ stdlib is so large, that no need to use it completely. Not each ordinary
    man can study any complex library (as C++ stdlib) completely and the
    knowledge is no need to him in his practical examples.

    I hope you do not mean to learn implementation of the std library as "good
    practice"? One can say, that description of interface of any good library
    must be enough to use it. Any good library must be understandable "on fly -
    read, used and forget". Using any good library must not be obstacle and must
    not require special enforces.

    I think C++ has a weak point - in C++ is hard to use already defined classes
    (and stdlib also) in "on fly" manner, because C++ has no extra information
    placed in class declaration for design purpose, to be bridge for design
    tools. I think using any library is kind of design work.

    I want to write about the weak point (at nearest weeks/months) in my page
    http://grizlyk1.narod.ru/cpp_new .

    >> And the overloaded "operator <<" you really need only for templated
    >> functions, when you do not know what kind of data will be outputed at
    >> each instance or in which stream. Else the "printf" is often better.

    >
    > Please show me how you can output a class object using printf. I dare
    > you.


    You no need to dare. Originally, we are speaking about data that can be
    printed by "printf" (probably we are speaking avout POD data), so you can
    "output a class object" exactly as if you write the own "operator <<" for
    the class, but instead of writing trivial members into ostream, printf them.

    I agree, that printf format string is not easy to learn, but any good
    on-line help can help you to write correct format string. In any case, make
    formatted output with the help of ostream is not easy also.

    >> Some programmers rare use iostreams in practical case (and printf
    >> also) beacause in theirs systems console-like stream output is
    >> useless thing in the world.

    >
    > I am guessing you've not one of those...


    It is hard to me to understand your suspicions, but i rare use streams in
    practical cases - i have no devices to be able to display the streams or to
    get input from them.

    --
    Maksim A. Polyanin
    http://grizlyk1.narod.ru/cpp_new

    "In thi world of fairy tales rolls are liked olso"
    /Gnume/
     
    Grizlyk, Feb 26, 2007
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Srinivas Kanakapally [MSFT]

    RE: Vs.net Server Explorer Diagram Problems

    Srinivas Kanakapally [MSFT], Jul 8, 2003, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    3,042
    Srinivas Kanakapally [MSFT]
    Jul 8, 2003
  2. BestNews
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    3,203
    BestNews
    Aug 20, 2003
  3. Susan Baker
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    865
    kelvSYC
    Jun 26, 2005
  4. Shelly

    Problems, problems for newbie

    Shelly, Sep 2, 2007, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    2,246
    Shelly
    Sep 3, 2007
  5. Sak Na rede
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    445
    Sak Na rede
    Jan 30, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page