C program retrieving information from Outlook?

David

Hi!

I would like my C program to fetch data from Microsoft Outlook, stuff
like calendar, contacts and so on. Does anyone know if this is even
possible? Does anyone have any ideas of where to find information about
this matter, since microsoft does not provide C-related information?

Regards
/David [Sweden]

M.B

David said:
Hi!

I would like my C program to fetch data from Microsoft Outlook, stuff

Terribly off topic
like calendar, contacts and so on. Does anyone know if this is even
Yes, of course. you can...
possible? Does anyone have any ideas of where to find information about
this matter, since microsoft does not provide C-related information?
Check any win32 programming /MFC/VC++.OLE group.
Good luck with the hunt!!! :)
Regards
/David [Sweden]

- M.B

Mike Wahler

David said:
Hi!

I would like my C program to fetch data from Microsoft Outlook, stuff
like calendar, contacts and so on. Does anyone know if this is even
possible?

Yes it is. I've done a small amount of it myself. But it cannot
be done with only standard C. You'll need an interface. Microsoft
provides one.
Does anyone have any ideas of where to find information about
this matter,
www.msdn.microsoft.com

since microsoft does not provide C-related information?

Much of the Microsoft documentation uses C (and/or C++)
in its examples etc. For example, the entire Windows API
is designed to be called from C (although mechanisms are
also available for access from other languages as well).

Note that your query is not really topical for comp.lang.c,
since its solution(*) will involve things outside the domain of the
ISO standard C language.

(*) Strictly speaking, I suppose one could use pure standard
C to open and read an Outlook file, but one would need to have
the specification of the data layout (which afaik is proprietary),
and 'manually' parse the file. I recommend using the interface
provided by Microsoft for this purpose (for example, the data
format might change, and a 'manual' solution would no longer
work). Let MS assume the responsibility for guaranteeing their
interface works correctly with changing data formats.)

Purpose of comp.lang.c:

C FAQ:
www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html

-Mike