    Is "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan and Ritchie still the best book
    to buy when learning to program in C, or are there any better books? I have
    some experience, but mostly from different tutorials on the Internet.
    Eirik, Dec 8, 2003

  2. Eirik

    Denis Guest

    No, from my point of view, it's not.

    I would recommand the book :

    Mastering Standard C: A Self-Paced Training Workbook for Modern C Language
    by Rex. Jaeschke (1999)

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/offering/list/-/0961472987/used/
    ref=olp_tab_used/104-7177428-2298362

    Denis

    NrUAb.4170$...

    Denis, Dec 8, 2003

  3. * Thus spoke Eirik <>:

    Hallo,

    > Is "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan and Ritchie still the best book
    > to buy when learning to program in C, or are there any better books?

    - <http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/index.htm>
    - <http://groups.google.com/groups?q=c+programming+books++group:comp.lang.c>

    Wolfgang.
    --
    "Es gibt Dinge, die man bereut, ehe man sie tut. Und man tut sie doch."
    -- Christian Friedrich Hebbel
    Wolfgang Kaufmann, Dec 8, 2003
  4. Eirik <> spoke thus:

    > Is "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan and Ritchie still the best book
    > to buy when learning to program in C, or are there any better books? I have
    > some experience, but mostly from different tutorials on the Internet.

    If not the best, then one of the best (or so I believe most here will
    tell you). Do use the second edition however; the first is outdated
    in a number of respects.

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Dec 8, 2003
  5. Eirik

    pete Guest

    Wolfgang Kaufmann wrote:

    > * Thus spoke Eirik <>:
    >
    > Hallo,
    >
    > > Is "The C Programming Language"
    > > by Kernighan and Ritchie still the best book
    > > to buy when learning to program in C, or are there any better books?

    > - <http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/index.htm>

    I was unable to find any reference to the book in question at that URL.

    --
    pete
    pete, Dec 8, 2003
  6. Eirik

    pete Guest

    Christopher Benson-Manica wrote:

    > Eirik <> spoke thus:
    >
    > > Is "The C Programming Language"
    > > by Kernighan and Ritchie still the best book
    > > to buy when learning to program in C,
    > > or are there any better books? I have some experience,
    > > but mostly from different tutorials on the Internet.

    > If not the best, then one of the best (or so I believe most here will
    > tell you). Do use the second edition however; the first is outdated
    > in a number of respects.

    Don't fogret the errata.

    http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cbook/2ediffs.html

    --
    pete
    pete, Dec 8, 2003
  7. * Thus spoke pete <>:

    Hallo,

    > Wolfgang Kaufmann wrote:
    >> * Thus spoke Eirik <>:
    >> > Is "The C Programming Language"
    >> > by Kernighan and Ritchie still the best book
    >> > to buy when learning to program in C, or are there any better books?

    >> - <http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/index.htm>

    > I was unable to find any reference to the book in question at that URL.

    Read: "[...] or are there any better books?".

    Wolfgang.
    Wolfgang Kaufmann, Dec 8, 2003
  8. Eirik

    Alan Balmer Guest

    On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 06:54:03 +0100, "Eirik" <>
    wrote:

    >Is "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan and Ritchie still the best book
    >to buy when learning to program in C, or are there any better books? I have
    >some experience, but mostly from different tutorials on the Internet.

    Yes. Second edition, of course.

    --
    Al Balmer
    Balmer Consulting
    Alan Balmer, Dec 8, 2003
  9. Eirik

    pete Guest

    Wolfgang Kaufmann wrote:

    > * Thus spoke pete <>:
    >
    > Hallo,
    >
    > > Wolfgang Kaufmann wrote:
    > >> - <http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/index.htm>

    > > I was unable to find any reference to the book
    > > in question at that URL.

    > Read: "[...] or are there any better books?".

    None of the books reviewed at that URL,
    have a rating which indicates
    whether they are considered to be better or worse than K&R2.

    --
    pete
    pete, Dec 8, 2003
  10. Eirik

    Hunr Guest

    Alan Balmer <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 06:54:03 +0100, "Eirik" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Is "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan and Ritchie still the best book
    > >to buy when learning to program in C, or are there any better books? I have
    > >some experience, but mostly from different tutorials on the Internet.
    > >

    > Yes. Second edition, of course.

    Do anyone have its Answer Book in the form of electronic edition?
    Hunr, Dec 8, 2003
  11. Eirik

    pete Guest

    http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton/kandr2/

    --
    pete
    pete, Dec 9, 2003
  12. Eirik

    Dan Pop Guest

    In <> Wolfgang Kaufmann <> writes:

    >* Thus spoke pete <>:
    >
    >Hallo,
    >
    >> Wolfgang Kaufmann wrote:
    >>> - <http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/index.htm>

    >> I was unable to find any reference to the book in question at that URL.

    >Read: "[...] or are there any better books?".

    Better is in the eye of the beholder. If you prefer reading a 600 page
    book instead of a 200 page book, then K.N. King is a better book. If you
    prefer a book written with style, then Schildt is your author. But if
    you value concisenes and correctness, nothing beats K&R2.

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group
    Dan Pop, Dec 9, 2003
  13. Eirik

    Grumble Guest

    Grumble, Dec 9, 2003
  14. Eirik

    Alan Balmer Guest

    On 9 Dec 2003 12:46:01 GMT, (Dan Pop) wrote:

    >In <> Wolfgang Kaufmann <> writes:
    >
    >>* Thus spoke pete <>:
    >>
    >>Hallo,

    >>> I was unable to find any reference to the book in question at that URL.

    >>Read: "[...] or are there any better books?".

    >Better is in the eye of the beholder. If you prefer reading a 600 page
    >book instead of a 200 page book, then K.N. King is a better book. If you
    >prefer a book written with style, then Schildt is your author.

    Only if you consider misinformation stylish.

    --
    Al Balmer
    Balmer Consulting
    Alan Balmer, Dec 9, 2003
  15. Eirik

    Randy Howard Guest

    In article <br4g69$2vv$>, says...
    > If you prefer a book written with style, then Schildt is your author.

    Did you actually (even indirectly) endorse Schildt as an author? I
    suspect you are being facetious, but it's hard to tell with some of
    your posts until after the fact.

    --
    Randy Howard _o
    2reply remove FOOBAR \<,
    Randy Howard, Dec 9, 2003
  16. * Thus spoke pete <>:

    Hallo,

    > None of the books reviewed at that URL,
    > have a rating which indicates
    > whether they are considered to be better or worse than K&R2.

    Sure, that's because it wouldn't make any sense at all.

    In my opinion, Nikolai Bezroukov (see
    http://www.softpanorama.org/Bookshelf/index.shtml) gives some good
    tips/recommondations on the "how to buy a good book?"-topic.

    How do you know if a certain C book is better for Eirik (than whatever,
    doesn't matter at all) or not? If you don't know Eirik personally well,
    you don't know which book he might like better than TCPL. Of course you
    could claim, that /you/ liked $foo better than TCPL.

    Further, most people I know don't own a copy of TCPL, but that doesn't
    mean that they don't know other good C books for beginners (which Eirik
    might like check out).

    For me it doesn't make sense to discuss something like that further, if
    you want, have fun.

    Wolfgang.
    Wolfgang Kaufmann, Dec 9, 2003
  17. Eirik

    Dan Pop Guest

    In <> Randy Howard <> writes:

    >In article <br4g69$2vv$>, says...
    >> If you prefer a book written with style, then Schildt is your author.

    >Did you actually (even indirectly) endorse Schildt as an author? I

    The answer to this question was to be found in my next sentence from the
    same post. Too bad you snipped it without reading it...

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group