C Programming Book

Eirik

Is "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan and Ritchie still the best book
to buy when learning to program in C, or are there any better books? I have
some experience, but mostly from different tutorials on the Internet.

Christopher Benson-Manica

Eirik said:
Is "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan and Ritchie still the best book
to buy when learning to program in C, or are there any better books? I have
some experience, but mostly from different tutorials on the Internet.

If not the best, then one of the best (or so I believe most here will
tell you). Do use the second edition however; the first is outdated
in a number of respects.

Alan Balmer

Is "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan and Ritchie still the best book
to buy when learning to program in C, or are there any better books? I have
some experience, but mostly from different tutorials on the Internet.
Yes. Second edition, of course.

Dan Pop

In said:
* Thus spoke pete <[email protected]>:

Hallo,
I was unable to find any reference to the book in question at that URL.

Read: "[...] or are there any better books?".

Better is in the eye of the beholder. If you prefer reading a 600 page
book instead of a 200 page book, then K.N. King is a better book. If you
prefer a book written with style, then Schildt is your author. But if
you value concisenes and correctness, nothing beats K&R2.

Dan

Alan Balmer

- <http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/index.htm>

I was unable to find any reference to the book in question at that URL.

Read: "[...] or are there any better books?".

Better is in the eye of the beholder. If you prefer reading a 600 page
book instead of a 200 page book, then K.N. King is a better book. If you
prefer a book written with style, then Schildt is your author.

Only if you consider misinformation stylish.

Randy Howard

If you prefer a book written with style, then Schildt is your author.

Did you actually (even indirectly) endorse Schildt as an author? I
suspect you are being facetious, but it's hard to tell with some of
your posts until after the fact.

Wolfgang Kaufmann

* Thus spoke pete <[email protected]>:

Hallo,
None of the books reviewed at that URL,
have a rating which indicates
whether they are considered to be better or worse than K&R2.

Sure, that's because it wouldn't make any sense at all.

In my opinion, Nikolai Bezroukov (see
http://www.softpanorama.org/Bookshelf/index.shtml) gives some good
tips/recommondations on the "how to buy a good book?"-topic.

How do you know if a certain C book is better for Eirik (than whatever,
doesn't matter at all) or not? If you don't know Eirik personally well,
you don't know which book he might like better than TCPL. Of course you
could claim, that /you/ liked $foo better than TCPL.

Further, most people I know don't own a copy of TCPL, but that doesn't
mean that they don't know other good C books for beginners (which Eirik
might like check out).

For me it doesn't make sense to discuss something like that further, if
you want, have fun.

Wolfgang.

Dan Pop

In said:
Did you actually (even indirectly) endorse Schildt as an author? I

The answer to this question was to be found in my next sentence from the
same post. Too bad you snipped it without reading it...

Dan