C++ Programming is so much fun

Omar Khan

C++ Programming is going great, Cin and Cout ..... lol

There are many books that are available to become a advanced programmer.

What books would you recommend?

Amazon.com has too many to choose from?

Omar Khan

John Harrison

Omar said:
C++ Programming is going great, Cin and Cout ..... lol

There are many books that are available to become a advanced programmer.

What books would you recommend?

Amazon.com has too many to choose from?

Omar Khan

Of course it all means what you mean by advanced. This guy's Amazon list
of C++ books seem pretty good and it corresponds to what I would call
advanced C++.

http://tinyurl.com/bwhwl

Warning many of these books will still be using cin and cout, doesn't
stop them being advanced however.

john

ben

Omar said:
> C++ Programming is going great, Cin and Cout ..... lol

First of all, there's no Cin and Cout in standard C++ alone. Perhaps you
mean cin and cout from said:

> There are many books that are available to become a advanced programmer.
>
> What books would you recommend?

It takes more than just reading to become an advanced programmer. If you
are looking for a programming book, be more specific on which area of
programming you are targeting because there is very few books that talk
about everything in programming.

If you are looking for C++ programming language books then the following
list:

Stroustrup, B. The C++ programming language, special edition
Josuttis, N. The C++ standard library: a tutorial and reference
Meyers, S. Effective C++, 3rd edition.

may be a good starter.

Mike Wahler

John Harrison said:
Of course it all means what you mean by advanced. This guy's Amazon list
of C++ books seem pretty good and it corresponds to what I would call
advanced C++.

http://tinyurl.com/bwhwl

Except for one that imo doesn't belong in that list
at all -- K&R2 (a good book, but it's not about C++)

-Mike

omar khan

ben said:
First of all, there's no Cin and Cout in standard C++ alone. Perhaps you

It takes more than just reading to become an advanced programmer. If you
are looking for a programming book, be more specific on which area of
programming you are targeting because there is very few books that talk
about everything in programming.

If you are looking for C++ programming language books then the following
list:

Stroustrup, B. The C++ programming language, special edition
Josuttis, N. The C++ standard library: a tutorial and reference
Meyers, S. Effective C++, 3rd edition.

may be a good starter.

Yep, I am using the Stroustrup, B. The C++ programming language, special
edition eBook., and the Visual Studio.NET IDE. The day I am an advanced
C++ programmer, I will be in a very enviable position to STARTUP. ;-)

omar khan

John Harrison said:
Of course it all means what you mean by advanced. This guy's Amazon list
of C++ books seem pretty good and it corresponds to what I would call
advanced C++.

http://tinyurl.com/bwhwl

Warning many of these books will still be using cin and cout, doesn't
stop them being advanced however.

john

How much time does it take to get to the level to begin writing software? By
allocating all my free spare time, and making huge sacrifices I will get
there sooner than you expect?

Geo

omar said:
Yep, I am using the Stroustrup, B. The C++ programming language, special
edition eBook., and the Visual Studio.NET IDE. The day I am an advanced
C++ programmer, I will be in a very enviable position to STARTUP. ;-)

What is an 'advanced C++ programmer' and how will you know when you
become one ?

What do you plan to 'STARTUP' and why should I envy you ?

I hope your code will be more understandable.

Phlip

Omar said:
There are many books that are available to become a advanced programmer.

What books would you recommend?

/Refactoring to Patterns/ by Josh Kerievsky and /Working Effectively with
Legacy Code/ by Mike Feathers.
Amazon.com has too many to choose from?

Boycott Amazon. They did ... something, once. Use the competitions' sites.

Josh Mcfarlane

omar said:
How much time does it take to get to the level to begin writing software? By
allocating all my free spare time, and making huge sacrifices I will get
there sooner than you expect?

Depends on your employeer. I went through a few C++ tutorials and read
up on a basic beginners book, then started maintaining code a week
later. Granted, I had previous programming experience in higher-level
languages, but being a former programmer moving to C++ allows you to
have the functional knowledge of how program / functions work and then
just learning the C++ method of trying to accomplish the same goal /
algorithms.

As far as how long til you write new code: probably at least a month
after you've been fixing already written code, if not much longer.