"C pulls away from Java among top programming languages"

BartC

Lynn McGuire said:
"C pulls away from Java among top programming languages"

http://www.infoworld.com/t/applicat...y-java-among-top-programming-languages-230603

The actual programming language index is at:
http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

1 1 C 18.155% -1.07% A
2 2 Java 16.521% -0.93% A
3 3 Objective-C 9.406% -0.98% A

I wonder how much further C would be in front, if people weren't obliged to
use Java (for Android apps) or Objective-C (for Apple devices)? I don't
think they would be popular choices otherwise!

Malcolm McLean

How can C "pull away" if the margin is shrinking?
The table shows the year on year change. On a month by month change, C has
increased in popularity versus September.

Fuseblower

"C pulls away from Java among top programming languages"

/*****************************************************************************/

Hm, the way these statistics have been arrived at (by looking at search engine queries) is a bit suspicious.

Anyway, other popular languages like C++, C#, objective C and Java are just
derived from C so whatever happpens, C's Legend will live on :)

Fuseblower

/*****************************************************************************/

Hm, the way these statistics have been arrived at (by looking at search engine queries) is a bit suspicious.

Anyway, other popular languages like C++, C#, objective C and Java are just
derived from C so whatever happpens, C's Legend will live on :)

OT : Sorry about the above. Been years since I've been on usenet and,
in my folly, I've used Google to post. I'm sure I'll pay for it by
getting tons of spam. But now I've got a decent newsreader installed.

Nobody

Hm, the way these statistics have been arrived at (by looking at search
engine queries) is a bit suspicious.

Which is why no-one should take TIOBE seriously.

It's useful for IT "journalists" during slow-news periods. It's also
useful for trolls looking to start language wars.

It may even have some practical use, for seeing which languages are
popular in colleges (i.e. which ones spike at the beginning of each
semester).

But that's about all.