c++ reference book

Discussion in 'C++' started by Andrew Koenig, Oct 9, 2003.

  1. > I am back to delving into the wonders of c++ and am getting tired of not
    > having a decent complete reference book that gives all commands and
    > their usage.
    > I see amazon have :
    > C++ For Engineers and Scientists
    > by Gary J. Bronson

    > which seems like a hefty 500 or so pages.
    > Anyone with a better idea of spending $72 on the same topic ?

    If you don't already have a copy of Stroustrup's ``The C++ Programming
    Language,'' you should.

    If you do already have a copy, and that's not enough of a reference
    for you, you need a copy of the actual C++ standard. It's available
    in machine-readable form for $18 from ANSI (www.ansi.org) or, if you
    prefer a hard-copy version, will soon be available as a book from
    Wiley Europe (The C++ Standard, ISBN 0-470-84674-7).

    --
    Andrew Koenig,

    Andrew Koenig, Oct 9, 2003

  2. Andrew Koenig

    C Wood Guest

    : Hello again,
    :
    : which seems like a hefty 500 or so pages.
    : Anyone with a better idea of spending $72 on the same topic ?
    :
    : Any suggestions welcome, thanks :)
    :
    : G.

    The C++ Programming Language (Special 3rd Edition)
    by Bjarne Stroustrup (Author)

    Look inside this book
    List Price: $64.99
    Price: $64.99 & This item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. See
    details.
    Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours

    27 used & new from $36.99

    Edition: Hardcover

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_7/103-9461532-8687853?v=glance&s=books

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/qdlt

    C Wood, Oct 9, 2003

  3. "igthibau" <> wrote in message
    > Hello again,
    > I am back to delving into the wonders of c++ and am getting tired of not
    > having a decent complete reference book that gives all commands and
    > their usage.
    > I see amazon have :
    > C++ For Engineers and Scientists
    > by Gary J. Bronson

    I have never heard of that book, but I would rather rely on reviews
    from a non-commercial organization, such as the ACCU:
    http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/index.htm
    See in particular:
    http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/reviews/0sb/advanced_c__.htm

    > which seems like a hefty 500 or so pages.
    > Anyone with a better idea of spending $72 on the same topic ?

    Well, I don't see C++ as a single topic ;)

    Stroustrup's TCppPL is an excellent reference, written by the
    'inventor' of C++:
    http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/reviews/cp/cp002117.htm

    Josuttis' book about the standard library wonderfully
    teaches how to use it, and is also a valuable reference:
    http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/reviews/cp/cp002117.htm

    But if what you really want is just a reference, the document
    defining the C++ standard is the ultimate solution. Its
    electronic version (pdf) is quite affordable (US$ 18),
    but this is not for the faint of heart...
    See: http://www.research.att.com/~bs/iso_pressrelease2.html

    There are also many free online references, such as:
    http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/

    > Any suggestions welcome, thanks :)

    hth,
    Ivan
    --
    http://ivan.vecerina.com

    Ivan Vecerina, Oct 9, 2003
  4. > I am back to delving into the wonders of c++ and am getting tired of not
    > having a decent complete reference book that gives all commands and
    > their usage.

    C++ doesn't have commands.

    > I see amazon have :
    > C++ For Engineers and Scientists
    > by Gary J. Bronson

    I never heared of that book, so cannot comment on it.

    > which seems like a hefty 500 or so pages.

    Page count is a poor measure for quality, but 500 pages ain't much for a
    complete C++ reference.

    > Anyone with a better idea of spending $72 on the same topic ?
    >
    > Any suggestions welcome, thanks :)

    I think you should seriously consider buying one of these books, or if you
    have the money both:

    The C++ Programming Language, 3rd Edition, Bjarne Stroustrup
    (http://www.research.att.com/~bs/3rd.html)

    The C++ Standard Library - A Tutorial and Reference, Nicolai M. Josuttis
    (http://www.josuttis.com/libbook/index.html)

    For book reviews see: http://www.accu.org

    HTH
    --
    Peter van Merkerk
    peter.van.merkerk(at)dse.nl

    igthibau, Oct 9, 2003
  6. Andrew Koenig

    Default User Guest

    Default User, Oct 9, 2003
  7. Andrew Koenig

    C Wood Guest

    "Default User" <> wrote in message
    : C Wood wrote:
    :
    : > http://www.amazon.com
    :
    :
    : OT, but I don't recommend Amazon for technical books. They don't
    : discount those. There are many better sources, my favorite is bookpool.
    :
    : The same book there is $46.75, and qualifies for free shipping.
    :
    :
    :
    : http://www.bookpool.com/.x/t4iaym68l4/sm/0201700735
    :
    Thanks for the tip.

    C Wood, Oct 9, 2003
  8. Andrew Koenig

    jeffc Guest

    "C Wood" <> wrote in message

    > The C++ Programming Language (Special 3rd Edition)
    > by Bjarne Stroustrup (Author)
    >
    > Look inside this book
    > List Price: $64.99
    > Price: $64.99 & This item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. See
    > details.
    > Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours
    >
    > 27 used & new from $36.99
    >
    > Edition: Hardcover

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201700735/qid=1065736861/sr=1
    -7/ref=sr_1_7/103-9461532-8687853?v=glance&s=books

    > or
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/qdlt

    Amazon is best for used books.
    Bookpool is best for new books (and at this price, new might be the way to
    go).
    http://www.bookpool.com/.x/t77miq938m/sm/0201889544

    jeffc, Oct 10, 2003
  9. Andrew Koenig

    : OT, but I don't recommend Amazon for technical books. They don't
    : discount those. There are many better sources, my favorite is bookpool.
    :
    : The same book there is $46.75, and qualifies for free shipping.

    Nother off-topic comment.

    TCppPL 3rd special edition has 74613 sq inches of printed pages. (1020
    pages)

    The Holy Bible Containing the Old and New Testaments: King James Version
    has 57396 sq inches of printed pages. (1293 pages)

    It's funny that I'd always wished I coud read the later, but never had
    time, yet I've read the CPPPL through, and use as reference when needed. So
    I'd imagine I've read it 2 times maybe. Humorous, at least to me

    C Wood, Oct 10, 2003
  10. "C Wood" <> wrote in message

    > TCppPL 3rd special edition has 74613 sq inches of printed pages. (1020
    > pages)
    >
    > The Holy Bible Containing the Old and New Testaments: King James

    Version
    > has 57396 sq inches of printed pages. (1293 pages)
    >
    > It's funny that I'd always wished I coud read the later, but never had
    > time, yet I've read the CPPPL through, and use as reference when needed.

    So
    > I'd imagine I've read it 2 times maybe. Humorous, at least to me

    Easy to explain. There is an evil force that clouds over your mind when you
    try to read the later, but WANTS you to read the former. And why would this
    evil force want you to read the former. To keep you away from reading the
    Real Truth to be found in the documentation of J*v* [blessed be the name].
    Just kidding.
    --
    Gary

    Gary Labowitz, Oct 10, 2003
  11. Andrew Koenig

    C Wood Guest

    "Gary Labowitz" <> wrote in message
    :
    : "C Wood" <> wrote in message
    : news:WSlhb.2640$...
    : >
[...]

    Humorous, but it's a knowledge issue, not a religious issue. It's nice
    to learn about all the faiths. Just as it is to learn the proper language
    for the task at hand.

    C Wood, Oct 10, 2003