c++ reference book

Andrew Koenig

I am back to delving into the wonders of c++ and am getting tired of not
having a decent complete reference book that gives all commands and
their usage.
I see amazon have :
C++ For Engineers and Scientists
by Gary J. Bronson
which seems like a hefty 500 or so pages.
Anyone with a better idea of spending $72 on the same topic ?

If you don't already have a copy of Stroustrup's ``The C++ Programming
Language,'' you should.

If you do already have a copy, and that's not enough of a reference
for you, you need a copy of the actual C++ standard. It's available
in machine-readable form for $18 from ANSI (www.ansi.org) or, if you
prefer a hard-copy version, will soon be available as a book from
Wiley Europe (The C++ Standard, ISBN 0-470-84674-7).

C Wood

: Hello again,
:
: which seems like a hefty 500 or so pages.
: Anyone with a better idea of spending $72 on the same topic ?
:
: Any suggestions welcome, thanks :)
:
: G.

The C++ Programming Language (Special 3rd Edition)
by Bjarne Stroustrup (Author)

Look inside this book
List Price: $64.99
Price: $64.99 & This item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. See
details.
Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours

27 used & new from $36.99

Edition: Hardcover

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_7/103-9461532-8687853?v=glance&s=books

or

http://tinyurl.com/qdlt

Ivan Vecerina

igthibau said:
Hello again,
I am back to delving into the wonders of c++ and am getting tired of not
having a decent complete reference book that gives all commands and
their usage.
I see amazon have :
C++ For Engineers and Scientists
by Gary J. Bronson

I have never heard of that book, but I would rather rely on reviews
from a non-commercial organization, such as the ACCU:
http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/index.htm
See in particular:
http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/reviews/0sb/advanced_c__.htm
which seems like a hefty 500 or so pages.
Anyone with a better idea of spending $72 on the same topic ?

Well, I don't see C++ as a single topic ;)

Stroustrup's TCppPL is an excellent reference, written by the
'inventor' of C++:
http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/reviews/cp/cp002117.htm

Josuttis' book about the standard library wonderfully
teaches how to use it, and is also a valuable reference:
http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/reviews/cp/cp002117.htm

But if what you really want is just a reference, the document
defining the C++ standard is the ultimate solution. Its
electronic version (pdf) is quite affordable (US$ 18),
but this is not for the faint of heart...
See: http://www.research.att.com/~bs/iso_pressrelease2.html

There are also many free online references, such as:
http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/
Any suggestions welcome, thanks :)

hth,
Ivan

Peter van Merkerk

I am back to delving into the wonders of c++ and am getting tired of not
having a decent complete reference book that gives all commands and
their usage.

C++ doesn't have commands.
I see amazon have :
C++ For Engineers and Scientists
by Gary J. Bronson

I never heared of that book, so cannot comment on it.
which seems like a hefty 500 or so pages.

Page count is a poor measure for quality, but 500 pages ain't much for a
complete C++ reference.
Anyone with a better idea of spending $72 on the same topic ?

Any suggestions welcome, thanks :)

I think you should seriously consider buying one of these books, or if you
have the money both:

The C++ Programming Language, 3rd Edition, Bjarne Stroustrup
(http://www.research.att.com/~bs/3rd.html)

The C++ Standard Library - A Tutorial and Reference, Nicolai M. Josuttis
(http://www.josuttis.com/libbook/index.html)

For book reviews see: http://www.accu.org

HTH

igthibau

Hello again,
I am back to delving into the wonders of c++ and am getting tired of not
having a decent complete reference book that gives all commands and
their usage.
I see amazon have :
C++ For Engineers and Scientists
by Gary J. Bronson

which seems like a hefty 500 or so pages.
Anyone with a better idea of spending $72 on the same topic ?

Any suggestions welcome, thanks :)

G.

jeffc

C Wood said:
The C++ Programming Language (Special 3rd Edition)
by Bjarne Stroustrup (Author)

Look inside this book
List Price: $64.99
Price: $64.99 & This item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. See
details.
Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours

27 used & new from $36.99

Edition: Hardcover

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201700735/qid=1065736861/sr=1
-7/ref=sr_1_7/103-9461532-8687853?v=glance&s=books

or

http://tinyurl.com/qdlt

Amazon is best for used books.
Bookpool is best for new books (and at this price, new might be the way to
go).
http://www.bookpool.com/.x/t77miq938m/sm/0201889544

C Wood

: OT, but I don't recommend Amazon for technical books. They don't
: discount those. There are many better sources, my favorite is bookpool.
:
: The same book there is $46.75, and qualifies for free shipping.

Nother off-topic comment.

TCppPL 3rd special edition has 74613 sq inches of printed pages. (1020
pages)

The Holy Bible Containing the Old and New Testaments: King James Version
has 57396 sq inches of printed pages. (1293 pages)

It's funny that I'd always wished I coud read the later, but never had
time, yet I've read the CPPPL through, and use as reference when needed. So
I'd imagine I've read it 2 times maybe. Humorous, at least to me

Gary Labowitz

C Wood said:
TCppPL 3rd special edition has 74613 sq inches of printed pages. (1020
pages)

The Holy Bible Containing the Old and New Testaments: King James Version
has 57396 sq inches of printed pages. (1293 pages)

It's funny that I'd always wished I coud read the later, but never had
time, yet I've read the CPPPL through, and use as reference when needed. So
I'd imagine I've read it 2 times maybe. Humorous, at least to me

Easy to explain. There is an evil force that clouds over your mind when you
try to read the later, but WANTS you to read the former. And why would this
evil force want you to read the former. To keep you away from reading the
Real Truth to be found in the documentation of J*v* [blessed be the name].
Just kidding.

C Wood

:
: : >
: > TCppPL 3rd special edition has 74613 sq inches of printed pages.
(1020
: > pages)
: >
[...]

Humorous, but it's a knowledge issue, not a religious issue. It's nice
to learn about all the faiths. Just as it is to learn the proper language
for the task at hand.