C Reference page on Linux

Vbman / Simon

Hello! I am new to C programming in Linux. I would like to know is there any
online reference for C langage. For example, length of unsigned long,
precedance of operators, explaination of some keywords. I know there are man
pages for system calls but also want a C reference.

Thanks for answering!

CBFalconer

Vbman said:
Hello! I am new to C programming in Linux. I would like to know
is there any online reference for C langage. For example, length
of unsigned long, precedance of operators, explaination of some
keywords. I know there are man pages for system calls but also
want a C reference.

Linux has nothing to do with it. Google for N869, the last draft
of the C99 standard. It is all there.

E. Robert Tisdale

Vbman said:
I am new to C programming in Linux.
I would like to know is there any online reference for C language.
for the C computer programming language.
For example, length of unsigned long,
precedence of operators, explanation of some keywords.
I know that there are man pages for system calls
but also want a C reference.

I used Google

http://www.google.com/

to search for

+"online C reference manual"

I found lots of stuff including "C Programming Reference Introduction."

http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~comp1300/Leslie_C_ref/C/c.html

If you are using the GNU C compiler gcc, go to the GNU website:

http://www.gnu.org/

click in the [Manuals Online] button then the [gcc] button
to get to "GCC online documentation"

http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/onlinedocs/

Subscribe to the gnu.gcc.help newsgroup and ask your question there.

Vbman / Simon

E. Robert Tisdale said:
Vbman said:
[...]

Thank you for your reply! I have also visited those sites. May be I have
expressed myself carelessly. Actually I mean by 'online' is like the 'man
pages' or 'F1 help'. In vim, I can 'Shift-K' on 'malloc' to get its help
page. But I can 'Shift-K' on 'external', 'void', '<<' to get the reference.

Kevin Goodsell

Vbman said:
Thank you! Actually I am asking are there any man pages like 'man
operators', 'man unsigned char' so that I can easily refer to.
In Dos I have the Help of Turbo C. But in Linux I dunno.

man pages are not defined by the C standard. Try a Linux or Unix
programming group. This group is only for discussion of the C language,
not operating systems, and not specific implementations of C.

-Kevin

Rouben Rostamian

May be I have
expressed myself carelessly. Actually I mean by 'online' is like the 'man
pages' or 'F1 help'. In vim, I can 'Shift-K' on 'malloc' to get its help
page. But I can 'Shift-K' on 'external', 'void', '<<' to get the reference.

Traditionally, Unix man pages have included man pages for functions
in the C standard library. Therefore it's not unexpected that you
have found a man page for malloc() there. You can also expect to
find man pages for putchar(), strlen(), fopen(), and other C standard
library functions.

Note, however, that "external", "void", "int", "while", etc., are not
functions. They are C language keywords. In the same vein, "<<", "++",
"+=", etc., are not functions. They are C language operators.

Traditionally, Unix man pages do not supply man pages on C language
keywords and operators. To learn about them you will have to read
a C programming manual.

Morris Dovey

Vbman said:
Hello! I am new to C programming in Linux. I would like to
know is there any online reference for C langage. For example,
length of unsigned long, precedance of operators, explaination
of some keywords. I know there are man pages for system calls
but also want a C reference.

Simon...

There are man pages for standard C library functions (as well as
others). There are not normally man pages to explain C syntax and
operators - for these you'll probably want treeware (my personal
favorite is the 2nd edition of "The C Programming Language"
(K&R2) by Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie).

If you follow the link in my sig, you can find an ANSI bookstore
link for the C standard document, a precedence table for C
operators, and (amazing coincidence!) a short program to display
the sizes of variable types on your own system (varsize.c)

Welcome to the world C programming!

CBFalconer

Vbman said:
.... snip ...

Thank you for your reply! I have also visited those sites. May be
I have expressed myself carelessly. Actually I mean by 'online' is
like the 'man pages' or 'F1 help'. In vim, I can 'Shift-K' on
'malloc' to get its help page. But I can 'Shift-K' on 'external',
'void', '<<' to get the reference.

The earlier N869 standard reference I gave you is the most
accurate freebie you can find. However, with the info system
installed (via DJGPP or Cygwin if you are using windows, directly
if using Linux) all you need enter is:

info libc alpha whatever

to get the equivalent of man pages on any available function.

Bruno Desthuilliers

A. Sinan Unur said:
(e-mail address removed) (Rouben Rostamian) wrote in

What the is 'external'?
Actually, it's 'extern', not 'external'. And you'll find what it means
in any good book about the C language (may I suggest you to get yourself
a copy of the K&R2 ? I'd have answered your question if I was not too
lazy to translate it from french to english !-)

Bruno

A. Sinan Unur

Actually, it's 'extern', not 'external'.

The point I was trying to make exactly. Unfortunately, the meaning of my
statement may have been slightly blurred by the fact that I failed to
type a four letter word between the 'the' and the 'is'.

Richard Heathfield

A. Sinan Unur said:
The point I was trying to make exactly. Unfortunately, the meaning of my
statement may have been slightly blurred by the fact that I failed to
type a four letter word between the 'the' and the 'is'.

Ah, I thought the omission was deliberate. I actually found it wrly amusing
- leaving one's imagination to fill in the gap as one saw fit.

A. Sinan Unur

Ah, I thought the omission was deliberate. I actually found it wrly
amusing - leaving one's imagination to fill in the gap as one saw fit.

Well, let me clarify :)

I originally had a mild four letter word there. Then I thought it did not
really express my reaction but did not want to use profanity either, so I
did not include it, thinking what I meant would have been obvious.
Apparently, it wasn't; hence the explanation.

Sinan.