    precedance of operators, explaination of some keywords. I know there are man
    pages for system calls but also want a C reference.

    Thanks for answering!
    Vbman / Simon, Dec 20, 2003

  2. Vbman / Simon

    CBFalconer Guest

    Vbman / Simon wrote:

    > Hello! I am new to C programming in Linux. I would like to know
    > is there any online reference for C langage. For example, length
    > of unsigned long, precedance of operators, explaination of some
    > keywords. I know there are man pages for system calls but also
    > want a C reference.

    Linux has nothing to do with it. Google for N869, the last draft
    of the C99 standard. It is all there.

    --
    Chuck F () ()
    CBFalconer, Dec 20, 2003

  3. Wolfgang Kaufmann, Dec 20, 2003
  4. Vbman / Simon

    Servé Lau Guest

    "CBFalconer" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello! I am new to C programming in Linux. I would like to know
    > > is there any online reference for C langage. For example, length
    > > of unsigned long, precedance of operators, explaination of some
    > > keywords. I know there are man pages for system calls but also
    > > want a C reference.

    > Linux has nothing to do with it. Google for N869, the last draft
    > of the C99 standard. It is all there.

    What about this one?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...42975/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_3_5/202-3248893-5423827

    Especially this line:
    "Updates the third edition by integrating new ANSI/ISO standard, C99."
    Servé Lau, Dec 20, 2003
  5. "Serv?Lau" <> wrote in message
    > "CBFalconer" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hello! I am new to C programming in Linux. I would like to know
    > > > is there any online reference for C langage. For example, length
    > > > of unsigned long, precedance of operators, explaination of some
    > > > keywords. I know there are man pages for system calls but also
    > > > want a C reference.

    > > Linux has nothing to do with it. Google for N869, the last draft
    > > of the C99 standard. It is all there.

    > What about this one?

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...42975/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_3_5/202-3248893-5423827

    > Especially this line:
    > "Updates the third edition by integrating new ANSI/ISO standard, C99."

    Thank you! Actually I am asking are there any man pages like 'man
    operators', 'man unsigned char' so that I can easily refer to.
    In Dos I have the Help of Turbo C. But in Linux I dunno.
    Vbman / Simon, Dec 20, 2003
  6. Vbman / Simon wrote:

    > I am new to C programming in Linux.
    > I would like to know is there any online reference for C language.
    > for the C computer programming language.
    > For example, length of unsigned long,
    > precedence of operators, explanation of some keywords.
    > I know that there are man pages for system calls
    > but also want a C reference.

    I used Google

    http://www.google.com/

    to search for

    +"online C reference manual"

    I found lots of stuff including "C Programming Reference Introduction."

    http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~comp1300/Leslie_C_ref/C/c.html

    If you are using the GNU C compiler gcc, go to the GNU website:

    http://www.gnu.org/

    click in the [Manuals Online] button then the [gcc] button
    to get to "GCC online documentation"

    http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/onlinedocs/

    Subscribe to the gnu.gcc.help newsgroup and ask your question there.
    E. Robert Tisdale, Dec 20, 2003
  7. "E. Robert Tisdale" <> wrote in message
    > Vbman / Simon wrote:
    >
    > > I am new to C programming in Linux.
    > > I would like to know is there any online reference for C language.
    > > for the C computer programming language.
    > > For example, length of unsigned long,
    > > precedence of operators, explanation of some keywords.
    > > I know that there are man pages for system calls
    > > but also want a C reference.

    > I used Google
    >
    > http://www.google.com/
    >
    > to search for
    >
    > +"online C reference manual"
    >
    > I found lots of stuff including "C Programming Reference Introduction."
    >
    > http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~comp1300/Leslie_C_ref/C/c.html
    >
    > If you are using the GNU C compiler gcc, go to the GNU website:
    >
    > http://www.gnu.org/
    >
    > click in the [Manuals Online] button then the [gcc] button
    > to get to "GCC online documentation"
    >
    > http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/onlinedocs/
    >
    > Subscribe to the gnu.gcc.help newsgroup and ask your question there.

    Thank you for your reply! I have also visited those sites. May be I have
    expressed myself carelessly. Actually I mean by 'online' is like the 'man
    pages' or 'F1 help'. In vim, I can 'Shift-K' on 'malloc' to get its help
    page. But I can 'Shift-K' on 'external', 'void', '<<' to get the reference.
    Vbman / Simon, Dec 20, 2003
  8. Vbman / Simon wrote:

    > Thank you! Actually I am asking are there any man pages like 'man
    > operators', 'man unsigned char' so that I can easily refer to.
    > In Dos I have the Help of Turbo C. But in Linux I dunno.

    man pages are not defined by the C standard. Try a Linux or Unix
    programming group. This group is only for discussion of the C language,
    not operating systems, and not specific implementations of C.

    -Kevin
    Kevin Goodsell, Dec 20, 2003
  9. In article <3fe4a221$-cable.com>,
    Vbman / Simon <> wrote:

    >May be I have
    >expressed myself carelessly. Actually I mean by 'online' is like the 'man
    >pages' or 'F1 help'. In vim, I can 'Shift-K' on 'malloc' to get its help
    >page. But I can 'Shift-K' on 'external', 'void', '<<' to get the reference.

    Traditionally, Unix man pages have included man pages for functions
    in the C standard library. Therefore it's not unexpected that you
    have found a man page for malloc() there. You can also expect to
    find man pages for putchar(), strlen(), fopen(), and other C standard
    library functions.

    Note, however, that "external", "void", "int", "while", etc., are not
    functions. They are C language keywords. In the same vein, "<<", "++",
    "+=", etc., are not functions. They are C language operators.

    Traditionally, Unix man pages do not supply man pages on C language
    keywords and operators. To learn about them you will have to read
    a C programming manual.

    --
    Rouben Rostamian
    Rouben Rostamian, Dec 20, 2003
  10. Vbman / Simon

    Morris Dovey Guest

    Vbman / Simon wrote:

    > Hello! I am new to C programming in Linux. I would like to
    > know is there any online reference for C langage. For example,
    > length of unsigned long, precedance of operators, explaination
    > of some keywords. I know there are man pages for system calls
    > but also want a C reference.

    Simon...

    There are man pages for standard C library functions (as well as
    others). There are not normally man pages to explain C syntax and
    operators - for these you'll probably want treeware (my personal
    favorite is the 2nd edition of "The C Programming Language"
    (K&R2) by Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie).

    If you follow the link in my sig, you can find an ANSI bookstore
    link for the C standard document, a precedence table for C
    operators, and (amazing coincidence!) a short program to display
    the sizes of variable types on your own system (varsize.c)

    Welcome to the world C programming!
    --
    Morris Dovey
    West Des Moines, Iowa USA
    Morris Dovey, Dec 21, 2003
  11. Vbman / Simon

    CBFalconer Guest

    Vbman / Simon wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > Thank you for your reply! I have also visited those sites. May be
    > I have expressed myself carelessly. Actually I mean by 'online' is
    > like the 'man pages' or 'F1 help'. In vim, I can 'Shift-K' on
    > 'malloc' to get its help page. But I can 'Shift-K' on 'external',
    > 'void', '<<' to get the reference.

    The earlier N869 standard reference I gave you is the most
    accurate freebie you can find. However, with the info system
    installed (via DJGPP or Cygwin if you are using windows, directly
    if using Linux) all you need enter is:

    info libc alpha whatever

    to get the equivalent of man pages on any available function.

    --
    Chuck F () ()
    CBFalconer, Dec 21, 2003
  12. (Rouben Rostamian) wrote in

    > Note, however, that "external", ....
    > are C language keywords.

    What the is 'external'?

    --
    A. Sinan Unur
    A. Sinan Unur, Dec 21, 2003
  13. A. Sinan Unur wrote:
    > (Rouben Rostamian) wrote in
    >

    >>Note, however, that "external", ....
    >>are C language keywords.

    > What the is 'external'?

    Actually, it's 'extern', not 'external'. And you'll find what it means
    in any good book about the C language (may I suggest you to get yourself
    a copy of the K&R2 ? I'd have answered your question if I was not too
    lazy to translate it from french to english !-)

    Bruno
    Bruno Desthuilliers, Dec 21, 2003
  14. Bruno Desthuilliers <> wrote in

    > A. Sinan Unur wrote:
    >> (Rouben Rostamian) wrote in
    >>

    >>>Note, however, that "external", ....
    >>>are C language keywords.

    >> What the is 'external'?
    >>

    > Actually, it's 'extern', not 'external'.

    The point I was trying to make exactly. Unfortunately, the meaning of my
    statement may have been slightly blurred by the fact that I failed to
    type a four letter word between the 'the' and the 'is'.

    --
    A. Sinan Unur
    A. Sinan Unur, Dec 21, 2003
  15. A. Sinan Unur wrote:

    > Bruno Desthuilliers <> wrote in
    >
    >> A. Sinan Unur wrote:
    >>> (Rouben Rostamian) wrote in

    >>> What the is 'external'?
    >>>

    >> Actually, it's 'extern', not 'external'.

    > The point I was trying to make exactly. Unfortunately, the meaning of my
    > statement may have been slightly blurred by the fact that I failed to
    > type a four letter word between the 'the' and the 'is'.

    Ah, I thought the omission was deliberate. I actually found it wrly amusing
    - leaving one's imagination to fill in the gap as one saw fit.

    --
    Richard Heathfield :
    Richard Heathfield, Dec 21, 2003
  16. Richard Heathfield <> wrote in

    > A. Sinan Unur wrote:
    >
    >> Bruno Desthuilliers <> wrote in

    >>> Actually, it's 'extern', not 'external'.

    >> The point I was trying to make exactly. Unfortunately, the meaning of
    >> my statement may have been slightly blurred by the fact that I failed
    >> to type a four letter word between the 'the' and the 'is'.

    > Ah, I thought the omission was deliberate. I actually found it wrly
    > amusing - leaving one's imagination to fill in the gap as one saw fit.

    Well, let me clarify :)

    I originally had a mild four letter word there. Then I thought it did not
    really express my reaction but did not want to use profanity either, so I
    did not include it, thinking what I meant would have been obvious.
    Apparently, it wasn't; hence the explanation.

    Sinan.
    --
    A. Sinan Unur
    A. Sinan Unur, Dec 21, 2003