C++ SDL Makefile for MPW on Mac OS 9

Discussion in 'C++' started by MPD, Mar 14, 2005.

  1. MPD

    MPD Guest

    Hi, I'm new to the MPW (Mac Programmers Workshop -- Apple's now freely
    avilable development tools for Classic Mac OS's) and wish to construct
    a simple 2D game using MPW's C++ compiler and SDL.

    However I don't know how to write a C++ makefile that initializes both
    SDL and C++ (not C) in MPW. I have got the SDL examples that came with
    the Mac Classic SDL Development Binaries to compile however they are
    all written in straight C and as such don't use object orientation
    (and MPW passes the code to a C compiler called rather than use a
    backwards compatible C++ compiler).

    I know that this is down to the makefile MPW needs to compile C++
    rather than C programs but I have no idea how to write one as I've
    only started using MPW in the last 2 days. Can anyone tell me how to
    construt a C++ makefile that initializes a simple C++ class along with
    all the relevant SDL header files and Libraries:

    simple_class.h

    main.cpp // object of simple_class gets initialised here
    // also simple SDL window initialised

    Very simple stuff I know, but I'm stuck! Any help will be much
    appreciated, thanks!!

    MPD, Mar 14, 2005

  2. MPD

    Paul Russell Guest

    MPD wrote:
    > Hi, I'm new to the MPW (Mac Programmers Workshop -- Apple's now freely
    > avilable development tools for Classic Mac OS's) and wish to construct
    > a simple 2D game using MPW's C++ compiler and SDL.
    >
    > However I don't know how to write a C++ makefile that initializes both
    > SDL and C++ (not C) in MPW. I have got the SDL examples that came with
    > the Mac Classic SDL Development Binaries to compile however they are
    > all written in straight C and as such don't use object orientation
    > (and MPW passes the code to a C compiler called rather than use a
    > backwards compatible C++ compiler).
    >
    > I know that this is down to the makefile MPW needs to compile C++
    > rather than C programs but I have no idea how to write one as I've
    > only started using MPW in the last 2 days. Can anyone tell me how to
    > construt a C++ makefile that initializes a simple C++ class along with
    > all the relevant SDL header files and Libraries:

    Just use MPW's CreateMake tool. Invoke it via the commando interface and
    then just pick the source files that you need to include in the build.

    Paul

    Paul Russell, Mar 14, 2005