C++ shines in what application domains?

Markus Schoder

Joe said:
He/she said that a strong point of C++ was that it's fast enough to
write high-end graphically-intensive OpenGL apps in. I have said that,
in my experience, there aren't many OpenGL apps (outside of modern 3D
games) that need that much speed.

As a sample data point, Ruby's OpenGL "gears" program runs at
approximately the same frames per second as the C version does.

If you look at trivial examples language is mostly a non-issue.

The goal of 3D graphics is to come as close to reality as possible
(which Doom 3 is still far away from). This requires a high floating
point throughput to feed the graphics subsystem which again boils down
to numerical computation but I thought I still mention it for effect
:). As more and more work is done by the GPU this becomes less
pronounced of course.