C++ Source Code Viewer

kenton.wilson

Hi,

I was wondering if someone might know of any C++ source code viewers
for linux / unix that are also free. I just want something that will
allow me to explore the class, function, and variable relationships
within my source. I don't really want an "army swiss knife" IDE, i.e.
something that has a builtin editor, scm interface, build system,
etcetera.

TIA,
Kent

red floyd

Hi,

I was wondering if someone might know of any C++ source code viewers
for linux / unix that are also free. I just want something that will
allow me to explore the class, function, and variable relationships
within my source. I don't really want an "army swiss knife" IDE, i.e.
something that has a builtin editor, scm interface, build system,
etcetera.

Look up "cscope". It's curses based, but I've used it for years.

Marcus Kwok

I was wondering if someone might know of any C++ source code viewers
for linux / unix that are also free. I just want something that will
allow me to explore the class, function, and variable relationships
within my source. I don't really want an "army swiss knife" IDE, i.e.
something that has a builtin editor, scm interface, build system,
etcetera.

I've not personally used it, but Doxygen might help: I hear it can
produce call graphs and such.

kenton.wilson

Look up "cscope". It's curses based, but I've used it for years.

I used to use cscope for my 'C' development but I don't think it can
handle C++ (unless cscope has been changed, I'll check).

Kent

Fei Liu

Hi,

I was wondering if someone might know of any C++ source code viewers
for linux / unix that are also free. I just want something that will
allow me to explore the class, function, and variable relationships
within my source. I don't really want an "army swiss knife" IDE, i.e.
something that has a builtin editor, scm interface, build system,
etcetera.

TIA,
Kent
What's wrong with vi? Nothing a little tag magic cann't resolve...

Michael Ekstrand

I used to use cscope for my 'C' development but I don't think it can
handle C++ (unless cscope has been changed, I'll check).

cscope can't really handle C++, but it can parse enough info out
of it to be useful in my experience.

You might also look at Anjuta, KDevelop, or the Eclipse CDT.

- Michael

Jorgen Grahn

I've not personally used it, but Doxygen might help: I hear it can
produce call graphs and such.

It can, where "such" is class diagrams and #include dependencies. And
I am 99% sure you can have it include all source code, pretty-printed
and all. Use a recent version.

But my first tool of choice would be the same I use when writing code:
emacs and a good TAGS file. I don't really see the use case for a
viewer which isn't also an editor (except for the kind of things that
Doxygen does).

/Jorgen