    TIA,
    Kent

    , Mar 23, 2007

  2. red floyd Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was wondering if someone might know of any C++ source code viewers
    > for linux / unix that are also free. I just want something that will
    > allow me to explore the class, function, and variable relationships
    > within my source. I don't really want an "army swiss knife" IDE, i.e.
    > something that has a builtin editor, scm interface, build system,
    > etcetera.

    Look up "cscope". It's curses based, but I've used it for years.

    red floyd, Mar 23, 2007

  3. Marcus Kwok Guest

    wrote:
    > I was wondering if someone might know of any C++ source code viewers
    > for linux / unix that are also free. I just want something that will
    > allow me to explore the class, function, and variable relationships
    > within my source. I don't really want an "army swiss knife" IDE, i.e.
    > something that has a builtin editor, scm interface, build system,
    > etcetera.

    I've not personally used it, but Doxygen might help: I hear it can
    produce call graphs and such.

    --
    Marcus Kwok
    Replace 'invalid' with 'net' to reply

    Marcus Kwok, Mar 23, 2007

    On Mar 23, 10:21 am, red floyd <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > I was wondering if someone might know of any C++ source code viewers
    > > for linux / unix that are also free. I just want something that will
    > > allow me to explore the class, function, and variable relationships
    > > within my source. I don't really want an "army swiss knife" IDE, i.e.
    > > something that has a builtin editor, scm interface, build system,
    > > etcetera.

    > Look up "cscope". It's curses based, but I've used it for years.

    I used to use cscope for my 'C' development but I don't think it can
    handle C++ (unless cscope has been changed, I'll check).

    Kent

    , Mar 23, 2007
  5. Fei Liu Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was wondering if someone might know of any C++ source code viewers
    > for linux / unix that are also free. I just want something that will
    > allow me to explore the class, function, and variable relationships
    > within my source. I don't really want an "army swiss knife" IDE, i.e.
    > something that has a builtin editor, scm interface, build system,
    > etcetera.
    >
    > TIA,
    > Kent

    What's wrong with vi? Nothing a little tag magic cann't resolve...

    Fei Liu, Mar 23, 2007
  6. On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 08:24:36 -0700, kenton.wilson wrote:
    > I used to use cscope for my 'C' development but I don't think it can
    > handle C++ (unless cscope has been changed, I'll check).

    cscope can't really handle C++, but it can parse enough info out
    of it to be useful in my experience.

    You might also look at Anjuta, KDevelop, or the Eclipse CDT.

    - Michael

    Michael Ekstrand, Mar 24, 2007
  7. aiooua Guest

    try http://sourcenav.sourceforge.net
    imho, a very handy tool. especially for oo-languages.

    thanks,

    aiooua, Mar 24, 2007
  8. Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 15:24:03 +0000 (UTC), Marcus Kwok <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> I was wondering if someone might know of any C++ source code viewers
    >> for linux / unix that are also free. I just want something that will
    >> allow me to explore the class, function, and variable relationships
    >> within my source. I don't really want an "army swiss knife" IDE, i.e.
    >> something that has a builtin editor, scm interface, build system,
    >> etcetera.

    > I've not personally used it, but Doxygen might help: I hear it can
    > produce call graphs and such.

    It can, where "such" is class diagrams and #include dependencies. And
    I am 99% sure you can have it include all source code, pretty-printed
    and all. Use a recent version.

    But my first tool of choice would be the same I use when writing code:
    emacs and a good TAGS file. I don't really see the use case for a
    viewer which isn't also an editor (except for the kind of things that
    Doxygen does).

    /Jorgen

    \X/ snipabacken.dyndns.org> R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

    Jorgen Grahn, Mar 26, 2007