C++ standards

diffuser78

Hi,

I am new to C++ development and want to know what is the most used
compiler for C++ on Windows and Linux(g++).

Also, if you could point out few IDEs which are free both in windows as
well as Linux.

Thanks

Tejas Kokje

You already got the most used compiler on Linux i.e. g++ from GNU.

As for Windows, I think MSVC++ compiler is the most used compiler.

Free IDE for Windows :

Eclipse supports C++ http://www.eclipse.org/
Dev-C++ uses windows port of g++ http://www.bloodshed.net/
Emacs and gvim port from cygwin

Free IDE for Linux

Anjuta http://www.anjuta.org
Kdevelop which comes with KDE
Ever venerable vim and emacs

Most of the text editors on Linux do provide with syntax highlighting
for C++

Tejas Kokje

serghei.karoly

Hi!

For C++ IDE I recommend www.CodeBlocks.org , it's free and easy to
use, because it's usese wxWidgets it's cross platform, nice looking,
have some greate plugins, has support for manny compilers:

* GNU GCC (Linux)
* MinGW GCC (Win32)
* Microsoft's Visual C++ Free Toolkit 2003 (Win32)
* Borland's C++ Compiler 5.5 (Win32)
* DigitalMars (Win32)
* OpenWatcom (Win32)
* Small Device C Compiler (SDCC)
* Intel C++ compiler

For windows you can download it with MINGW compiler :
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/codeblocks/codeblocks-1.0rc2_mingw...
or without :
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/codeblocks/codeblocks-1.0rc2.exe?d...

It also has support for GDB (Gnu Debug tool), but if you want to use
it don't forget to enable it from the menu Project/Build
option/Compiler/Compiler flags and here be sure that you use the
"Produce debugging symbols" option.
Here you can find a nice turorial transleted from french :
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://loulou.developpe...
That's a 40 MB video about using and configuring Code::Blocks for new
users: http://www.gametutorials.com/codeblocks_tutorials.zip