C syntax and other script languages

lovecreatesbeauty

Is it possible for so many other scripts like sh, awk, php, perl and
javascript:) to keep a smallest set of their basic syntax, built-in
types, built-in operators, control structures as same as C languages's
as possible?

Thank you for your time

Eric Sosman

Is it possible for so many other scripts like sh, awk, php, perl and
javascript:) to keep a smallest set of their basic syntax, built-in
types, built-in operators, control structures as same as C languages's
as possible?

1) Yes, obviously. All the languages you mention are written as
linear sequences of coded characters, and thus share the exact same
"smallest set of their basic syntax."

2) No, of course not. Everyone who invents a new language wants
his language to be better than existing languages. By claiming that
existing languages are "bad," he makes his goal of being "better" that
much easier. Since he doesn't want existing bad languages to infect
his glorious new language, he scraps or twists or perverts as many
features of existing languages as he can get away with, and calls the
resulting incompatibilities a mark of his language's superiority.

3) What on Earth are you talking about?

tm

1) Yes, obviously. All the languages you mention are written as
linear sequences of coded characters, and thus share the exact same
"smallest set of their basic syntax."

2) No, of course not. Everyone who invents a new language wants
his language to be better than existing languages. By claiming that
existing languages are "bad," he makes his goal of being "better" that
much easier. Since he doesn't want existing bad languages to infect
his glorious new language, he scraps or twists or perverts as many
features of existing languages as he can get away with, and calls the
resulting incompatibilities a mark of his language's superiority.

Yes, you really hit the spot.

And when the new language is implemented most people react by
complaining about the differences to C ... :)

Greetings Thomas Mertes

BruceS

Have any of yours actually helped with C rather than just piggy backing
behind Keith or Heathfield? Other than the net nannying ones of course
too.

Yes, they have. I can't provide a specific instance, but I know that
DU/Brian is one of the posters I read for useful information. HTH.

Kenny McCormack

Yes, they have. I can't provide a specific instance, but I know that
DU/Brian is one of the posters I read for useful information. HTH.

Funny...

Good satire.

Malcolm McLean

Is it possible for so many other scripts like sh, awk, php, perl and
javascript:) to keep a smallest set of their basic syntax, built-in
types, built-in operators, control structures as same as C languages's
as possible?
That's the way things are gradually going. Unfortunately programming
conventions aren't yet firmly established, so we've got to put up with
1-based and zero-based indexing, != ~= and <> for the inequality
operator, and so on.

lovecreatesbeauty

That's the way things are gradually going. Unfortunately programming
conventions aren't yet firmly established, so we've got to put up with
1-based and zero-based indexing, != ~= and <> for the inequality
operator, and so on.

Will keeping same operators, data types, control structures, etc. same
as C for new languages be harder to implement this language for
compiler designers?

Or will doing this make the new one become exact C?