C++ test framework for TDD

Alexander Eisenhuth

Hello alltogether,

I'm new to this group, so please tell me, if there is a better place to ask ...

I'm also new to the TDD (test driven development) aproach. I just started to
learn about the development process. As test framework I heard about CppUnit.

Does anyone here do TDD with C++ as programming language? What test frameworks
do you use? What are your experiences?

Thanks in forward for all hints and comments

Regards
Alexander

Matthias Kaeppler

Alexander said:
Hello alltogether,

I'm new to this group, so please tell me, if there is a better place to
ask ...

I'm also new to the TDD (test driven development) aproach. I just
started to learn about the development process. As test framework I
heard about CppUnit.

Does anyone here do TDD with C++ as programming language? What test
frameworks do you use? What are your experiences?

Thanks in forward for all hints and comments

Regards
Alexander

Check out CppUnit or unit++. CppUnit is a direkt port from JUnit to C++,
while unit++ claims to be more "C++-like".
However, I found the unit++ documentation to be lacking, so I use
CppUnit and I'm happy with it (especially when you're also using JUnit
for Java development).

Regards,
Matthias

peter steiner

boost::test is a fully featured and yet lightweight framework easily
adapted to your development environment. in my experience test
framworks never quite do what you need out-of-the-box, which is why i
like the extensibility in particular.

additionally boost::test easily scales and feels comfortable for small
pet projects as well as the large scale flavour...

see http://boost.org/libs/test/doc/index.html

-- peter

Dave Steffen

peter steiner said:
boost::test is a fully featured and yet lightweight framework easily
adapted to your development environment. in my experience test
framworks never quite do what you need out-of-the-box, which is why i
like the extensibility in particular.

additionally boost::test easily scales and feels comfortable for small
pet projects as well as the large scale flavour...

see http://boost.org/libs/test/doc/index.html

Further comment - I've implemented a unit test framework for my
company based completely on the Boost test library, and I'm very
happy how it turned out. It's not perfect, but it's a good fraction
of the way to perfect. :)

Dave Steffen, Ph.D. On a paper submitted by a physicist colleague:
Software Engineer IV
Numerica Corporation "This isn't right. This isn't even wrong."
ph (970) 419-8343 x27
fax (970) 223-6797 -- Wolfgang Pauli
(e-mail address removed)
______________________
Numerica Disclaimer:
This message and any attachments are intended only for the individual
or entity to which the message is addressed. It is proprietary and
may contain privileged information. If you are neither the intended
recipient nor the agent responsible for delivering the message to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review,
retransmission, dissemination, or taking of any action in reliance
upon, the information in this communication is strictly prohibited,
and may be unlawful. If you feel you have received this communication
in error, please notify us immediately by returning this Email to the
sender and deleting it from your computer.