C++ - To UpperCase?

GRoll21

I know there is a function but I cannot seem to find it. There should
be a way to uppercase a char right?

Here is what I got.

cout << "Enter title of a book for look up: ";
cin >> firstString;

if (strcmp(toupper(firstString), toupper(bookTitle[index])) == 0)

then i check the book they enter to a book in my bookTitle array. How
can I make it so it puts both firstString and bookTitle to uppercase?
Any help would be great! Thanks!

Victor Bazarov

GRoll21 said:
I know there is a function but I cannot seem to find it. There should
be a way to uppercase a char right?

'toupper' should do it. But you don't need to uppercase a char, do you?
You need to uppercase a whole array of them, probably...
Here is what I got.

cout << "Enter title of a book for look up: ";
cin >> firstString;

if (strcmp(toupper(firstString), toupper(bookTitle[index])) == 0)

What's a 'firstString'?
then i check the book they enter to a book in my bookTitle array. How
can I make it so it puts both firstString and bookTitle to uppercase?

So, it's an array, eh? Then you need to iterate through the array and
apply 'toupper' to every element. It's that simple.

GRoll21

firstString is the book the user inputs.

cout << "Enter title of a book for look up: ";
cin >> firstString;

jois.de.vivre

GRoll21 said:
I know there is a function but I cannot seem to find it. There should
be a way to uppercase a char right?

Here is what I got.

cout << "Enter title of a book for look up: ";
cin >> firstString;

if (strcmp(toupper(firstString), toupper(bookTitle[index])) == 0)

then i check the book they enter to a book in my bookTitle array. How
can I make it so it puts both firstString and bookTitle to uppercase?
Any help would be great! Thanks!

If you want to make the string all uppercase then just go through the
string and convert all the characters:

const char* strtoupper(string str)
{
for (int i=0;i<str.size();i++)
str = toupper(str);
return str.c_str();

Jay Nabonne

I know there is a function but I cannot seem to find it. There should
be a way to uppercase a char right?

Here is what I got.

cout << "Enter title of a book for look up: ";
cin >> firstString;

if (strcmp(toupper(firstString), toupper(bookTitle[index])) == 0)

then i check the book they enter to a book in my bookTitle array. How
can I make it so it puts both firstString and bookTitle to uppercase?

If you just want to compare, you can use the case-insensitive version of
strcmp. Now is it strcmpi or stricmp? (I'm not sure. :)

- Jay

jalkadir

I wrote a set o f C++ classes that handle different types of string
manipulations one of string manipulations that is most needed by
programmers is the ability to convert the string to upper case:

const std::string& jme::strtools::toUpper( const std::string& s ) {
tmp = s;
tmp = this->trimIt( tmp );
for ( std::string::iterator i = tmp.begin(); i != tmp.end(); ++i )
{
*i = std::toupper( *i );
}
return tmp;
}
we are developing this library to be released under the GNU linces. So,
if you are interested you can via AIM=jalqadir
for a free copy of this library.

Have fun!

int2str

jalkadir said:
const std::string& jme::strtools::toUpper( const std::string& s ) {

If you are working on a temporary copy anyway, why not simply declare
it like this:

const std::string& jme::strtools::toUpper( std::string s )

Saves a few lines of code and does the same...

Where is tmp declared?
tmp = this->trimIt( tmp );

This function is called "toUpper()", why does it trim the string as
well?
for ( std::string::iterator i = tmp.begin(); i != tmp.end(); ++i )
{
*i = std::toupper( *i );
}
return tmp;
}

How about:

std::transform( tmp.begin(), tmp.end(), tmp.begin(),
(int(*)(int))std::toupper );
we are developing this library to be released under the GNU linces. So,
if you are interested you can via AIM=jalqadir
for a free copy of this library.

Why not check it into sf.net or similar?
I'd like to see this library and monitor it's progress - maybe even
contribute. It would be easier that way.

Cheers,
Andre

Jack Klein

I know there is a function but I cannot seem to find it. There should
be a way to uppercase a char right?

Here is what I got.

cout << "Enter title of a book for look up: ";
cin >> firstString;

if (strcmp(toupper(firstString), toupper(bookTitle[index])) == 0)

then i check the book they enter to a book in my bookTitle array. How
can I make it so it puts both firstString and bookTitle to uppercase?

If you just want to compare, you can use the case-insensitive version of
strcmp. Now is it strcmpi or stricmp? (I'm not sure. :)

- Jay

There is no case-insensitive version of strcmp() in the standard C or
standard C++ library. What you are not sure of is the name of some
particular non-standard function on some specific implementation, or
perhaps the different names of several non-standard functions on
different implementations.

John Harrison

GRoll21 said:
firstString is the book the user inputs.

cout << "Enter title of a book for look up: ";
cin >> firstString;

That is obvious, what Victor meant (I assume) is have you declared
firstString like this

std::string firstString;

or something like this

char firstString[99];

These details matter.

But in either case the answer is similar. You have a function toupper
which converts a single character to uppercase, you have a string or a
char array which is basically a whole bunch of characters, so you have
to write a loop which uses toupper on each character in your string or
char array.

This is called programming, there always comes a point where the
standard functions run out and you have to write your own. You've just
reached it.

john

Neil Cerutti

I wrote a set o f C++ classes that handle different types of
string manipulations one of string manipulations that is most
needed by programmers is the ability to convert the string to
upper case:

const std::string& jme::strtools::toUpper( const std::string& s ) {
tmp = s;
tmp = this->trimIt( tmp );
for ( std::string::iterator i = tmp.begin(); i != tmp.end(); ++i )
{
*i = std::toupper( *i );
}
return tmp;
}

You should not return a reference or pointer to automatic storage
class variables. tmp is destroyed when the function returns,
leaving the caller with a useless reference to a nonexistent
string.

Shezan Baig

Neil said:
You should not return a reference or pointer to automatic storage
class variables. tmp is destroyed when the function returns,
leaving the caller with a useless reference to a nonexistent
string.

I suspect 'tmp' is a member of the 'strtools' class (or maybe a global
variable). In any case, since it is not declared in function scope, it
will *not* be destroyed when the function returns, so the reference is
still valid.

As to why we need this 'tmp' global variable is a good question. It
definitely kills any possibillity of doing multi-threaded programming.
I suspect the original author mistakenly thought it might be
significantly more efficient to use an existing variable.

-shez-

Neil Cerutti

I suspect 'tmp' is a member of the 'strtools' class (or maybe a
global variable). In any case, since it is not declared in
function scope, it will *not* be destroyed when the function
returns, so the reference is still valid.

Ah. Whoops I didn't notice it went undeclared. Thanks for the
correction.

Sebastian Redl

GRoll21 said:
I know there is a function but I cannot seem to find it. There should
be a way to uppercase a char right?

then i check the book they enter to a book in my bookTitle array. How
can I make it so it puts both firstString and bookTitle to uppercase?
Any help would be great! Thanks!

There is the CRT function/macro toupper from <cctype>, which converts a
single character to upper case, using the C locale.
There is the ctype facet of the C++ locale from <locale> which has a member
toupper, which does the same, but using the C++ locale.
There is a global toupper function in <locale>, which is essentially a
shortcut to the ctype facet.

To work on entire strings at the same time, I recommend the Boost String
Algorithm library, available in Boost 1.32.0 and later.
http://www.boost.org/doc/html/string_algo/usage.html#id1290831

Jay Nabonne

There is no case-insensitive version of strcmp() in the standard C or
standard C++ library. What you are not sure of is the name of some
particular non-standard function on some specific implementation, or
perhaps the different names of several non-standard functions on
different implementations.

Well, that explains it, then. :)