    designing a chat client/server program in c++ that uses udp?

    Thanks,
    -R

    Robin, Aug 2, 2010

  2. Robin

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Mon, 2010-08-02, Robin wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a good library I can get for free for windows 7
    > for udp communications?

    UDP is easy; there is not much to do for such a library, so I think
    you can just use Winsock. Most of the work is interacting with
    whatever I/O multiplexer Windows has (whatever it has instead of
    Unix's select()/poll()).

    > I was also wondering, does anyone want to work with me on a
    > designing a chat client/server program in c++ that uses udp?

    A good idea in one way -- you can use your own project for
    communicating with each other. You can even develop two different
    clients and just cooperate on the protocol design.

    This is off topic and a personal opinion, but I think that most people
    who want to design an UDP-based protocol should think again and use
    TCP. There are just too many protocol features you have to implement
    on top of UDP, and you will not notice until it's too late.

    Followup set to comp.protocols.tcp-ip, where they discuss these things.

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
    \X/ snipabacken.se> O o .

    Jorgen Grahn, Aug 2, 2010

  3. Robin

    Brian Wood Guest

    On Aug 2, 3:32 pm, Robin <> wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a good library I can get for free for windows 7
    > for udp communications?
    >
    > I was also wondering, does anyone want to  work with me on a
    > designing a chat client/server program in c++ that uses udp?

    The C++ Middleware Writer might be of interest to you.
    I agree with Jorgen's comments about considering TCP.

    Brian Wood
    http://webEbenezer.net
    (651) 251-9384

    Brian Wood, Aug 2, 2010
  4. Am 02.08.2010 23:06, schrieb Jorgen Grahn:
    > On Mon, 2010-08-02, Robin wrote:
    >> Does anyone know of a good library I can get for free for windows 7
    >> for udp communications?

    > UDP is easy; there is not much to do for such a library, so I think
    > you can just use Winsock. Most of the work is interacting with
    > whatever I/O multiplexer Windows has (whatever it has instead of
    > Unix's select()/poll()).

    Since Winsock mimics BSD sockets, it also has select()/poll() (named as
    WSApoll).
    However, there's also a mechanism using Window Messages that notifies
    when you can read or write to a socket.

    I think you can ask on comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 about this.

    For C++, I would try Boost.Asio, since BSD sockets is a bit low-level.

    >> I was also wondering, does anyone want to work with me on a
    >> designing a chat client/server program in c++ that uses udp?

    [...]

    Yet Another One?
    Why UDP?

    --
    Thomas

    Thomas J. Gritzan, Aug 2, 2010
  5. On 2 août, 22:32, Robin <> wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a good library I can get for free for windows 7
    > for udp communications?
    >
    > I was also wondering, does anyone want to  work with me on a
    > designing a chat client/server program in c++ that uses udp?

    If you want a C++ network centric library, you might consider POCO:
    http://pocoproject.org/

    It would give you a framework for your application.

    --
    Michael

    Michael Doubez, Aug 3, 2010