C++, VBS, or Batch for text file creation / modification

Discussion in 'C++' started by GoCoogs, Oct 9, 2005.

  1. GoCoogs

    GoCoogs Guest

    Hello all. I'm trying to compile a text file from two different
    existing text files and input from the user.

    For example:
    text1.txt says "It was the best of times it was the worst of times."
    text2.txt says "To be or not to be that is the question."

    When the program is run, a prompt would ask the user to write a
    sentence.

    The program would then create a new file named text3.txt that would
    create a text file that would read:

    It was the best of times it was the worst of times.
    Now is the winter of our discontent <or whatever the user enters at a
    prompt>
    To be or not to be that is the question.

    I'm trying to decide the best vehicle to use to write this program. It
    doesn't matter to me if its run in a GUI environment or from the
    console. I'm rusty with my file manipulations in C++, which is the
    language I'm most familar with. Neither batch nor vbscript look overly
    difficult to pick up and I would like to use either of them if they
    lend themselves better to the task at hand.

    What do all of you think?

    Thanks a lot for the advice
    GoCoogs, Oct 9, 2005

  2. GoCoogs

    Cy Edmunds Guest

    "GoCoogs" <> wrote in message
    > Hello all. I'm trying to compile a text file from two different
    > existing text files and input from the user.
    >
    > For example:
    > text1.txt says "It was the best of times it was the worst of times."
    > text2.txt says "To be or not to be that is the question."
    >
    > When the program is run, a prompt would ask the user to write a
    > sentence.
    >
    > The program would then create a new file named text3.txt that would
    > create a text file that would read:
    >
    > It was the best of times it was the worst of times.
    > Now is the winter of our discontent <or whatever the user enters at a
    > prompt>
    > To be or not to be that is the question.
    >
    > I'm trying to decide the best vehicle to use to write this program. It
    > doesn't matter to me if its run in a GUI environment or from the
    > console. I'm rusty with my file manipulations in C++, which is the
    > language I'm most familar with. Neither batch nor vbscript look overly
    > difficult to pick up and I would like to use either of them if they
    > lend themselves better to the task at hand.
    >
    > What do all of you think?
    >
    > Thanks a lot for the advice

    Python: http://www.python.org

    There, I've done my good deed for the day. :)

    --
    Cy
    http://home.rochester.rr.com/cyhome/
    Cy Edmunds, Oct 9, 2005

  3. GoCoogs wrote:

    > What do all of you think?

    A fairly simple assignment on basic file and input handling.
    Should be easy to figure out with some backup reference
    literature. Especially if you already have programmed C++.

    --
    Karl Heinz Buchegger
    Karl Heinz Buchegger, Oct 10, 2005