    state that its application can run everywhere. I am wondering if C# is
    OS dependable?

    Thanks. -Dale

    dalewz, May 22, 2004

  2. "dalewz" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I know that java can run on any machine. And C# is competing with
    > java. I just came back from book store. I found that none of C# books
    > state that its application can run everywhere. I am wondering if C# is
    > OS dependable?

    Wrong group, this group is for C++, not C# or Java.

    Try

    or

    john

    John Harrison, May 22, 2004

  3. dalewz

    Luther Baker Guest

    dalewz wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I know that java can run on any machine. And C# is competing with
    > java. I just came back from book store. I found that none of C# books
    > state that its application can run everywhere. I am wondering if C# is
    > OS dependable?

    For clarification, Java applications do not run on any machine.

    Java apps and .NET apps both run inside a virtual machine - something
    that runs on top of your current operating system.

    The Java virtual machine has been ported to several mainstream operating
    systems. The .NET virtual machine is really only prevalent on MS
    operating systems.

    ..NET is standardized - so currently, there are a few projects porting
    the .NET runtime to other platforms.

    -Luther

    Luther Baker, May 22, 2004
  4. dalewz

    JKop Guest

    dalewz posted:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I know that java can run on any machine. And C# is competing with
    > java. I just came back from book store. I found that none of C# books
    > state that its application can run everywhere. I am wondering if C# is
    > OS dependable?
    >
    > Thanks. -Dale

    Programming languages that depend on a virtual machine are shit.

    -JKop

    JKop, May 22, 2004
  5. dalewz

    Jorge Rivera Guest

    [OT] Re: C# vs Java run on every machine?

    dalewz wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I know that java can run on any machine. And C# is competing with
    > java. I just came back from book store. I found that none of C# books
    > state that its application can run everywhere. I am wondering if C# is
    > OS dependable?
    >
    > Thanks. -Dale

    Java can run on any machine that has an implementation of the Java VM.

    The equivalen to the Java VM in C# is the CLR, which is part of the .NET
    framework. .NET is a standrad by microsoft. The only implementation
    outside of Windows that I'm aware of is Mono.

    All this rubbish boils down to this.

    1. Neither Java nor C# run on any machine.
    2. Java is supported in many more platforms than C#.
    3. Ask in a Java nesgroup concerning Java, ask in a Microsoft forum for C#.

    JLR

    Jorge Rivera, May 22, 2004
  6. "JKop" <> wrote in message
    > dalewz posted:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I know that java can run on any machine. And C# is competing with
    > > java. I just came back from book store. I found that none of C# books
    > > state that its application can run everywhere. I am wondering if C# is
    > > OS dependable?
    > >
    > > Thanks. -Dale

    > Programming languages that depend on a virtual machine are shit.
    >

    > -JKop

    Yeah. How much processing time do you add? Double? Triple? .... Go with a
    compiled language. Then distribute the source if you want it compiled on any
    system.

    -- Matt

    Matthew Del Buono, May 23, 2004
  7. dalewz

    Alan Johnson Guest

    Re: [OT] Re: C# vs Java run on every machine?

    Jorge Rivera wrote:

    > .NET is a standrad by microsoft.

    I find that typo really amusing, considering Microsoft's track record
    with standards. :)

    Alan

    Alan Johnson, May 23, 2004
  8. dalewz

    Petec Guest

    Matthew Del Buono wrote:
    > "JKop" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > Yeah. How much processing time do you add? Double? Triple? .... Go
    > with a compiled language. Then distribute the source if you want it
    > compiled on any system.
    >
    > -- Matt

    Well-written C# code runs at 95% of the speed of equivilent well-written C++
    code.
    C# is a compiled language. The first time C# code is ran, it is compiled
    tailored to the specific machine of the user.

    - Pete

    Petec, May 23, 2004
  9. dalewz

    JKop Guest

    Petec posted:

    > Well-written C# code runs at 95% of the speed of equivilent
    > well-written C++ code.
    > C# is a compiled language. The first time C# code is ran, it is
    > compiled tailored to the specific machine of the user.
    >
    > - Pete

    So okay, first of all it's compiled.

    ==TIME ELAPSES==

    Program runs at speed 95% of proper code.

    Include the first delay and you're probably looking at 80%.

    Starting out in programming, I started with Visual Basic. I was weaned off
    that to a real programming language, C++.

    If you program in the likes of Visual Basic, Java, C#, .NET, then Yes, you
    are a computer programmer, but of the lowest order.

    I'll love to see someone program an ATM machine in C#, bagsy not writing the
    super cool on-the-fly compiler for it.

    -JKop

    JKop, May 23, 2004
  10. dalewz

    Petec Guest

    JKop wrote:
    > Petec posted:
    >
    >> Well-written C# code runs at 95% of the speed of equivilent
    >> well-written C++ code.
    >> C# is a compiled language. The first time C# code is ran, it is
    >> compiled tailored to the specific machine of the user.
    >>
    >> - Pete

    > So okay, first of all it's compiled.
    >
    > ==TIME ELAPSES==

    Hardly any time, it's extremly quick.

    > Program runs at speed 95% of proper code.

    C# code is "proper" code.

    > Include the first delay and you're probably looking at 80%.

    No, the 95% includes JIT compilation.

    > Starting out in programming, I started with Visual Basic. I was
    > weaned off that to a real programming language, C++.

    While it may not be an "elegant" language, VB is nonetheless a real computer
    language.

    > If you program in the likes of Visual Basic, Java, C#, .NET, then
    > Yes, you are a computer programmer, but of the lowest order.

    Not sure what you have against such languages, but thanks for the
    complement.
    I must be "just" a middle order programmer, since I pick the best tool for
    the job whether it be C++, C#, VB.NET, or Java.

    > I'll love to see someone program an ATM machine in C#, bagsy not
    > writing the super cool on-the-fly compiler for it.

    Windows CE .Net, a very suitable platform for an ATM machine, comes with the
    ..Net Compact Framework, a /very/ slightly compacted version of .Net, which
    also includes the JIT compiler.

    - Pete

    Petec, May 23, 2004