C# Web Site. Connecting to SQL Server. Test Connection Fine...BUT

samadams_2006

Hello,

I have a problem that I'm hoping someone will be able to help me
resolve.

1) I have a C# Web Site in which I connect to the database: "Install
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition" via the link on:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/express/bb410792.aspx

This Web Site has various versions, but I use the following version:

Install Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition is the free, easy-to-use,
lightweight version of SQL Server 2005. Integrated with Microsoft
Visual Studio 2005, SQL Server Express makes it easy to develop data-
driven applications that are rich in capability, offer enhanced
storage security, and are fast to deploy. SQL Server Express is free
to redistribute and can be seamlessly upgraded to more sophisticated
versions of SQL Server.

Download * (36.5 MB)

2) I connect to this SQL Server version via the "Server Explorer" Tab
inside Visual Studio 2005.

Here's the connection string I am using:

Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=E:\MyDB.mdf;User ID=sa

3) When I click on the "Test Connection" command button, it states:

"Test Connection Succeeded".

4) In spite of all this, when I run the application, I get an error
on the "End Try" of a "Try Catch" in my code. This error states:

"SQL Exception was unhandled by user code. An error has occurred
while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL
Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the
default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections".

5) Question: Does anyone have any idea how to resolve this error.
The "Test Connection" said that it was fine, but it appears not to
be. If it is indeed a problem with "under the default settings SQL
Server does not allow remote connections", I've looked, but how do you
change these settings?

Any ideas on how to proceed would be helpful.

Thanks
Sam

sloan

The website may not be able to see E:\mydb.mdf. (or rather the use account
the website uses)

Most people put the mdf in a relative path from the website root.

//
"SQL Exception was unhandled by user code. An error has occurred
while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL
Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the
default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections".//

This error is kinda like "Your car is making a noise, it may be the engine
not running well".

The remote connections part that is. If you're on the same box, then you
aren't doing remote calls.

The error is basically saying "You cannot connect to the database".

In 2.0 asp.net there is a special folder called "App_Data". Most people put
their database in there.

OR you can provide rights to the e:\yourdb.mdf to the account which asp.net
uses.

I'm pretty sure this is the issue.