c99, but otherwise OT

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by pemo, Nov 14, 2005.

  1. pemo

    pemo Guest

    I've [so far] found the following mingw IDEs (mostly through observing
    here!)

    http://www.codeblocks.org/

    http://www.parinyasoft.com/mingwstudio.html

    http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

    Now, I haven't seriously played properly with any of these, and (before I
    do) I was wondering whether there might be a *fast track* to discovering
    even more IDEs (for Windows) that use gcc (or another decent compiler).
    Windows is not my first choice here really - it's just what I *have* to use
    as it's installed here.

    Google's done a good job so far, but I'm starting to wonder whether these
    aren't obvious, or are in the 'deep-web'.

    Of course, any testimonials for the above are very welcome!

    My main requirements are:

    1. The IDE/compiler should be free, and preferably available cross-platform
    (for students using linux/windows only)

    2. That the compiler utilised should conform to the ANSI c99 spec as
    possible.

    3. That the 'whole' should be friendly, and 'easy' to use and understand.

    4. THAT IT WORKS - esp the debugger!

    There is another 'it'd be really nice to have' ... that it can be used as
    seamlessly as possible with splint.
    pemo, Nov 14, 2005

  2. "pemo" <> writes:

    > I've [so far] found the following mingw IDEs (mostly through observing
    > here!)
    >

    > http://www.codeblocks.org/
    >
    > http://www.parinyasoft.com/mingwstudio.html
    >
    > http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html
    >

    > Now, I haven't seriously played properly with any of these, and (before I
    > do) I was wondering whether there might be a *fast track* to discovering
    > even more IDEs (for Windows) that use gcc (or another decent compiler).
    > Windows is not my first choice here really - it's just what I *have* to use
    > as it's installed here.

    <SNIP>

    You might want to look at Eclipse, I gather there is a C plugin for
    it.

    --

    John Devereux
    John Devereux, Nov 14, 2005

  3. pemo

    jacob navia Guest

    Anything goes. You call a glorified notepad an "IDE"?

    Features:

    lcc-win32 IDE mingwstudio
    1: IDE
    Syntax analysis:
    Goto definition yes no
    Usage of a symbol yes no
    Intellisense yes no
    Autocompletion yes no
    Software metrics yes no
    Show active/inactive
    #ifdeffed code yes no
    Show #include tree yes no

    History of edited
    functions yes no
    Check syntax when
    saving yes no
    Retains open files
    between sessions yes no

    Text search yes yes
    Reg. Exp search yes no
    Search a function yes no
    Function index yes no

    Utilities:
    Grep yes yes
    Diff utility yes no
    Statistical profiler yes no
    Line coverage profiler yes no
    Binary editor yes no
    Reformatter yes no

    Print yes, with many options yes, just text

    Formatting
    Can change font yes no [1]

    Project management yes yes

    Debugger:
    Change current line yes no
    Automatic variable
    display yes no
    locals display yes no
    Disassembly display yes no
    register display yes no
    Setting the arguments
    of the program under
    debug yes no
    Data breakpoints yes no
    Follows callbacks
    with trace yes no
    Knows how to show a
    backtrace when exception
    in system code yes no (debugger dies)

    In general, the debugger of mingwstudio doesn't seem to be able to
    follow a windows program without getting confused about where the
    program is, and shows other lines as the current line instead of
    the line where the program is actually running.

    It is a pity that it doesn't allow access directly to gdb, where missing
    features could be used like register display or setting the arguments
    for the program, since gdb does those things.

    Misc
    Package size 5MB 26MB
    Ide exe size 700K 1.8MB

    Cosmetic
    Indentation guides no yes
    Display line nr
    with text no yes
    "Toolbar" no yes
    Display end of
    line no yes

    Conclusion:

    http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32

    [1] Mingwstudio accepts the user to change the configuration for a
    different font, but the displayed font stays the same. The same
    happens when you check that mingwstudio should reload the
    current project and files: the option is checked but it doesn't do
    it.

    jacob
    P.S. I am the author of the IDE of lcc-win32, so I am completely
    biased. But having invested all that effort, it really puts
    me down the easy with which people call a simple text editor
    an "IDE"...

    An IDE should be an integrated development environment, where syntax
    analysis and tools allow the programmer to be more productive. I never
    saw that vi was called "an IDE" but it is more effective in many ways
    than mingw studio: regexp search, and using ctags is more effective
    for finding something in the edited file.
    jacob navia, Nov 15, 2005
  4. pemo

    Guest

    > I was wondering whether there might be a *fast track* to
    > discovering even more IDEs (for Windows) that use gcc (or
    > another decent compiler).

    FWIW the Zeus for Window IDE can be configured to work with
    almost any language/compiler combination:

    http://www.zeusedit.com/features.html

    > Of course, any testimonials for the above are very welcome!

    What some of the Zeus user think:

    http://www.zeusedit.com/awards.html

    > 1. The IDE/compiler should be free, and preferably available
    > cross-platform (for students using linux/windows only)

    Zeus is shareware and only runs on windows.

    Jussi Jumppanen
    Author: Zeus for Windows
    , Nov 15, 2005
  5. pemo

    Flash Gordon Guest

    jacob navia wrote:
    > Anything goes. You call a glorified notepad an "IDE"?
    >
    > Features:
    >
    > lcc-win32 IDE mingwstudio
    > 1: IDE

    <snip>

    Jacob, please leave some context in so people can see what you are
    replying to. Without context this *looked* like it was just an advert
    for you compiler. I'm sure that was not your intent and that it was in
    response to a post that, if it was visible, would make you post look
    reasonable, but you did not include the context.

    > jacob
    > P.S. I am the author of the IDE of lcc-win32, so I am completely
    > biased. But having invested all that effort, it really puts
    > me down the easy with which people call a simple text editor
    > an "IDE"...
    >
    > An IDE should be an integrated development environment, where syntax
    > analysis and tools allow the programmer to be more productive. I never
    > saw that vi was called "an IDE" but it is more effective in many ways
    > than mingw studio: regexp search, and using ctags is more effective
    > for finding something in the edited file.

    From what you say I agree with your opinion, but without context it
    still just looks like you deciding to advertise.
    --
    Flash Gordon
    Living in interesting times.
    Flash Gordon, Nov 15, 2005
  6. pemo

    jacob navia Guest

    Flash Gordon a écrit :
    > jacob navia wrote:
    >
    >> Anything goes. You call a glorified notepad an "IDE"?
    >>
    >> Features:
    >>
    >> lcc-win32 IDE mingwstudio
    >> 1: IDE

    > <snip>
    >
    > Jacob, please leave some context in so people can see what you are
    > replying to. Without context this *looked* like it was just an advert
    > for you compiler. I'm sure that was not your intent and that it was in
    > response to a post that, if it was visible, would make you post look
    > reasonable, but you did not include the context.
    >
    >> jacob
    >> P.S. I am the author of the IDE of lcc-win32, so I am completely
    >> biased. But having invested all that effort, it really puts
    >> me down the easy with which people call a simple text editor
    >> an "IDE"...
    >>
    >> An IDE should be an integrated development environment, where syntax
    >> analysis and tools allow the programmer to be more productive. I never
    >> saw that vi was called "an IDE" but it is more effective in many ways
    >> than mingw studio: regexp search, and using ctags is more effective
    >> for finding something in the edited file.

    > From what you say I agree with your opinion, but without context it
    > still just looks like you deciding to advertise.

    Excuse me I was answering to this query:

    jacob navia, Nov 15, 2005