C99 differences

Joe Van Dyk

Hi,

Can someone point me to someplace that details things to be aware of
when using a C99 compiler as opposed to C89 (or is it 90?)? We finally
decided to turn on all warnings (imagine that!), and are now running
into code that doesn't conform exactly to C89.

Thanks
Joe

Robert Gamble

Joe said:
Hi,

Can someone point me to someplace that details things to be aware of
when using a C99 compiler as opposed to C89 (or is it 90?)? We finally
decided to turn on all warnings (imagine that!), and are now running
into code that doesn't conform exactly to C89.

<http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/newinc9x.htm> provides a
summary of new features.

<http://home.tiscalinet.ch/t_wolf/tw/c/c9x_changes.html> provides more
details about the changes.

"C: A Reference Manual, 5th edition" details all the features of the
language and library and does a good job of explaining the differences
between traditional C and the various Standards (including C90 and
C99).

You can also download the latest post-C99 draft Standard for free
(which is superior to the version available for purchase as it
incorporates TC1, TC2 and other minor corrections) at
<www.open-std.org/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/docs/n1124.pdf> and compare it to
the C90 Standard.

Robert Gamble