cab download problem

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Jacques, Feb 8, 2006.

  1. Jacques

    Jacques Guest

    have an asp file that contains the following tag:

    <OBJECT classid="clsid:11111111-1111-1111-1111-111111111111"
    CODEBASE="mycab.cab#version=5,0,0,3"/>

    the cab in question has the following .inf

    [version]
    signature="$CHICAGO$"
    AdvancedINF=2.0

    [Add.Code]
    MyDLL.DLL=MyDLL.DLL

    [BkmVisVersao.DLL]
    clsid={11111111-1111-1111-1111-111111111111}
    FileVersion=5,0,0,3
    hook=hook1

    [Setup Hooks]
    hook1=hook1

    [hook1]
    run=%EXTRACT_DIR%\setup.exe INST

    the classid in the .inf is the classid for mydll.dll and the setup registers
    mydll.dll

    The problems are:
    1) the cab is *always* downloaded and the setup is always fired
    2) the next time i enter the site I need to wait a few seconds that seems to
    be longer then the time needed to download the .cab (i'm testing in my
    intranet and the cab is not that big 11M)

    Why I'm being requested to install it every time ?
    Can I remove the [Setup Hooks] Section ?

    More info:
    In some machine the time taken to load the site is normal. In others the
    cab i snot (always) requested.

    Thanks in advance,
    Jacques
    Jacques, Feb 8, 2006

  2. Hello,

    Since the problem only occur on some of your computers, have you compared
    the security level in IE (IE, click menu "tools/internet option/Security".
    Also, you may try clear the IE cache and try again, will this fix the
    problem?

    Luke Zhang
    rights.)
    Luke Zhang [MSFT], Feb 9, 2006

  3. Jacques

    Jacques Guest

    Will try but can't see how security settings would cause the cab to be
    downloaded every time.

    Maybe I explained in a wrong way the problem. The cab *is* always
    downloaded in every machine. What happens in different way from machine to
    machine is the time it takes from opening the site and the cab install
    taking place.

    Jacques

    Jacques, Feb 9, 2006
  4. So , will it help after you remove the [Setup Hooks] Section ?

    Luke Zhang
    rights.)
    Luke Zhang [MSFT], Feb 10, 2006
  5. Jacques

    Jacques Guest

    I do think this section is not needed. But this is not the problem. The
    cab should not be downloaded at all then this section in the inf should not
    cause any problem.

    Jacques, Feb 13, 2006
  6. If you check the local registry on the client computer, can you find
    classid "clsid:11111111-1111-1111-1111-111111111111" and it is point itng
    to a dll file on local disk?

    Luke Zhang
    rights.)
    Luke Zhang [MSFT], Feb 14, 2006
  7. Jacques

    Jacques Guest

    Yes but what if I was installing a cab that what used to deploy a help
    file or something else that does not change the registry ?

    Jacques, Feb 14, 2006
  8. These files will be installed in the temp folder of your client computer.

    Luke Zhang
    rights.)
    Luke Zhang [MSFT], Feb 15, 2006