    Form will save its contents?

    Thanks.
    -Nikhil
    Nikhil Patel, Oct 7, 2004

  2. Nikhil Patel

    Hans Kesting Guest

    Nikhil Patel wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > If I want to access the contents of a DataSet in multiple ASP.Net
    > form requests without manually saving it in Cache, do I have to add
    > the DataSet to the form at design time or can I just declare it as
    > Protected and the Form will save its contents?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > -Nikhil

    Why not add it "manually"?

    *if* it is possibly to "have the form save it", then it will be saved in ViewState,
    meaning:
    - the data will be sent-and-received (roundtrip!) with the html that goes to the browser
    - other requests / pages / sessions will still need their own copy

    viewstate has "postback scope", the browser needs to send it back to the server.
    cache has application scope, every user can access the same data.

    Hans Kesting
    Hans Kesting, Oct 7, 2004