    anyone know where the cache is stored on Windows XP.
    thanks
    David

    David Graham, Feb 22, 2006

  2. __/ [ David Graham ] on Wednesday 22 February 2006 14:27 \__

    > Hi
    > Firefox 1.5 makes it easy to clear the cache but I would like to know the
    > location of the cache so I can store something from it for later use. Does
    > anyone know where the cache is stored on Windows XP.
    > thanks
    > David

    Cache in Firfox is stored as large chunks of aggregated files, which are
    often hard to interpret as-are. In Linux, Firefox cache is located under:

    ~/.mozilla/firefox/<user>.default/Cache

    ....but, but, but...

    In Windows XP it should be under your profile's "Application
    Settings/Firefox/<user>/Cache" or some variation of that. I cannot recall
    the exact location, but it's there...

    For completeness, in Mac OSX, it should reside under a similarly structures
    directory while the installation paths are (by default):
    /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/

    And in Windows:

    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\

    These are all valuable locations to keep in mind if you ever wish to extend
    Firefox to include search plug-ins, user-tailored CSS files, and more.
    There's also the issue of profile duplication and backup.

    Hope it helps,

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Slashdot is standard-compliant... in Japan"
    http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

    Roy Schestowitz, Feb 22, 2006

  3. David Graham

    David Graham Guest

    "Roy Schestowitz" <> wrote in message
    > __/ [ David Graham ] on Wednesday 22 February 2006 14:27 \__
    >
    > > Hi
    > > Firefox 1.5 makes it easy to clear the cache but I would like to know

    the
    > > location of the cache so I can store something from it for later use.

    Does
    > > anyone know where the cache is stored on Windows XP.
    > > thanks
    > > David

    > Cache in Firfox is stored as large chunks of aggregated files, which are
    > often hard to interpret as-are. In Linux, Firefox cache is located under:
    >
    > ~/.mozilla/firefox/<user>.default/Cache
    >

    > ...but, but, but...
    >
    > In Windows XP it should be under your profile's "Application
    > Settings/Firefox/<user>/Cache" or some variation of that. I cannot recall
    > the exact location, but it's there...
    >
    > For completeness, in Mac OSX, it should reside under a similarly

    structures
    > directory while the installation paths are (by default):
    > /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/
    >
    > And in Windows:
    >
    > C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\
    >
    > These are all valuable locations to keep in mind if you ever wish to

    extend
    > Firefox to include search plug-ins, user-tailored CSS files, and more.
    > There's also the issue of profile duplication and backup.
    >
    > Hope it helps,
    >
    > Roy
    >
    > --
    > Roy S. Schestowitz | "Slashdot is standard-compliant... in Japan"
    > http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    > 2:30pm up 5 days 2:49, 8 users, load average: 0.31, 0.14, 0.09
    > http://iuron.com - help build a non-profit search engine

    Found it at C:\Documents and Settings\david\Local Settings\Application
    Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\406mllxj.default\Cache
    but the files don't look like .html, .jpg, .swf etc. Don't know how to use
    what I have found, how do I use what's there?
    thanks
    David

    David Graham, Feb 22, 2006
  4. David Graham wrote:
    > Hi
    > Firefox 1.5 makes it easy to clear the cache but I would like to know the
    > location of the cache so I can store something from it for later use. Does
    > anyone know where the cache is stored on Windows XP.
    > thanks
    > David

    In the address bar enter "about:cache" without quotes

    Disk cache device

    Number of entries: ##
    Maximum storage size: 50000 KiB
    Storage in use: ### KiB
    Cache Directory: [location of your cache on your hard drive]

    List Cache Entries

    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Feb 22, 2006
  5. David Graham wrote:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>__/ [ David Graham ] on Wednesday 22 February 2006 14:27 \__
    >>

    >>>Hi
    >>>Firefox 1.5 makes it easy to clear the cache but I would like to know

    > the
    >
    >>>location of the cache so I can store something from it for later use.

    > Does
    >
    >>>anyone know where the cache is stored on Windows XP.
    >>>thanks
    >>>David

    >>Cache in Firfox is stored as large chunks of aggregated files, which are
    >>often hard to interpret as-are. In Linux, Firefox cache is located under:
    >>
    >>~/.mozilla/firefox/<user>.default/Cache
    >>

    >>...but, but, but...
    >>
    >>In Windows XP it should be under your profile's "Application
    >>Settings/Firefox/<user>/Cache" or some variation of that. I cannot recall
    >>the exact location, but it's there...
    >>
    >>For completeness, in Mac OSX, it should reside under a similarly

    > structures
    >
    >>directory while the installation paths are (by default):
    >>/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/
    >>
    >>And in Windows:
    >>
    >>C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\
    >>
    >>These are all valuable locations to keep in mind if you ever wish to

    > extend
    >
    >>Firefox to include search plug-ins, user-tailored CSS files, and more.
    >>There's also the issue of profile duplication and backup.
    >>
    >>Hope it helps,
    >>
    >>Roy
    >>
    >>--
    >>Roy S. Schestowitz | "Slashdot is standard-compliant... in Japan"
    >>http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    >> 2:30pm up 5 days 2:49, 8 users, load average: 0.31, 0.14, 0.09
    >> http://iuron.com - help build a non-profit search engine

    > Found it at C:\Documents and Settings\david\Local Settings\Application
    > Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\406mllxj.default\Cache
    > but the files don't look like .html, .jpg, .swf etc. Don't know how to use
    > what I have found, how do I use what's there?
    > thanks
    > David

    That is because unlike IE, Firefox does not store all the files as
    discrete files but all gobbed together in a few large data files.

    Put "about:cache" in the address bar and you can peruse either disk
    cache or memory cache files with the respective 'List Cache Entries'
    link. You can preview and save any entry.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Feb 22, 2006
  6. __/ [ Jonathan N. Little ] on Wednesday 22 February 2006 23:24 \__

    > David Graham wrote:
    >
    >> "Roy Schestowitz" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>__/ [ David Graham ] on Wednesday 22 February 2006 14:27 \__

    >> the

    >> Does

    >>>Cache in Firfox is stored as large chunks of aggregated files, which are
    >>>often hard to interpret as-are. In Linux, Firefox cache is located under:
    >>>
    >>>~/.mozilla/firefox/<user>.default/Cache
    >>>

    >>>...but, but, but...
    >>>
    >>>In Windows XP it should be under your profile's "Application
    >>>Settings/Firefox/<user>/Cache" or some variation of that. I cannot recall
    >>>the exact location, but it's there...
    >>>
    >>>For completeness, in Mac OSX, it should reside under a similarly

    >> structures
    >>
    >>>directory while the installation paths are (by default):
    >>>/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/
    >>>
    >>>And in Windows:
    >>>
    >>>C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\
    >>>
    >>>These are all valuable locations to keep in mind if you ever wish to

    >> extend
    >>
    >>>Firefox to include search plug-ins, user-tailored CSS files, and more.
    >>>There's also the issue of profile duplication and backup.
    >>>
    >>>Hope it helps,
    >>>
    >>>Roy
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>Roy S. Schestowitz | "Slashdot is standard-compliant... in Japan"
    >>>http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    >>> 2:30pm up 5 days 2:49, 8 users, load average: 0.31, 0.14, 0.09
    >>> http://iuron.com - help build a non-profit search engine

    >> Found it at C:\Documents and Settings\david\Local Settings\Application
    >> Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\406mllxj.default\Cache
    >> but the files don't look like .html, .jpg, .swf etc. Don't know how to use
    >> what I have found, how do I use what's there?
    >> thanks
    >> David
    >>

    > That is because unlike IE, Firefox does not store all the files as
    > discrete files but all gobbed together in a few large data files.

    Better security, better performance. I pointed this out at the beginning of
    my first message actually. *smile*

    > Put "about:cache" in the address bar and you can peruse either disk
    > cache or memory cache files with the respective 'List Cache Entries'
    > link. You can preview and save any entry.

    I never knew about that. While you're at it, be greedy and raise the
    pipelining value. This should enable you to take data transfers rates up a
    gear or two.

    Roy Schestowitz, Feb 23, 2006
  7. Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > __/ [ Jonathan N. Little ] on Wednesday 22 February 2006 23:24 \__
    >

    >>David Graham wrote:

    <snip>
    >>>Found it at C:\Documents and Settings\david\Local Settings\Application
    >>>Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\406mllxj.default\Cache
    >>>but the files don't look like .html, .jpg, .swf etc. Don't know how to use
    >>>what I have found, how do I use what's there?
    >>>thanks
    >>>David
    >>>

    >>That is because unlike IE, Firefox does not store all the files as
    >>discrete files but all gobbed together in a few large data files.

    > Better security, better performance. I pointed this out at the beginning of
    > my first message actually. *smile*

    Yes Roy, yes you did but David seemed to missed your point...so I said
    it again with different words ;-)

    >>Put "about:cache" in the address bar and you can peruse either disk
    >>cache or memory cache files with the respective 'List Cache Entries'
    >>link. You can preview and save any entry.

    > I never knew about that. While you're at it, be greedy and raise the
    > pipelining value. This should enable you to take data transfers rates up a
    > gear or two.

    Yep the "about:*" features of Gecko (actually descendant from old
    Netscape) can be real handy.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Feb 23, 2006
  8. David Graham

    David Graham Guest

    > David Graham wrote:
    > > Hi
    > > Firefox 1.5 makes it easy to clear the cache but I would like to know

    the
    > > location of the cache so I can store something from it for later use.

    Does
    > > anyone know where the cache is stored on Windows XP.
    > > thanks
    > > David
    > >

    > In the address bar enter "about:cache" without quotes
    >

    > Disk cache device
    >
    > Number of entries: ##
    > Maximum storage size: 50000 KiB
    > Storage in use: ### KiB
    > Cache Directory: [location of your cache on your hard drive]
    >
    > List Cache Entries

    > Take care,
    >
    > Jonathan
    > -------------------
    > LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    > http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Thats great, many thanks. I thought I was going to be OK but when I double
    clicked a .mov in the cache it doesn't play! - I get the Q quicktime symbol
    large in the middle of the screen and then a little Q with some animated
    little squares under it and a dark band at the bottom of the screen with
    some controls for movie playing just out of reach under my task bar. The
    movie played OK straight from the site. When I right clicked on the entry
    for the file in the disc cache and selected save link as I got a file which
    when clicked brings up a messsage about it not being a movie file! Any
    thought on this most welcome.
    thanks
    David

    David Graham, Feb 23, 2006
  9. David Graham

    David Graham Guest

    "David Graham" <> wrote in message

    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote in message
    > > David Graham wrote:
    > > > Hi
    > > > Firefox 1.5 makes it easy to clear the cache but I would like to know

    > the
    > > > location of the cache so I can store something from it for later use.

    > Does
    > > > anyone know where the cache is stored on Windows XP.
    > > > thanks
    > > > David
    > > >

    > > In the address bar enter "about:cache" without quotes
    > >

    > > Disk cache device
    > >
    > > Number of entries: ##
    > > Maximum storage size: 50000 KiB
    > > Storage in use: ### KiB
    > > Cache Directory: [location of your cache on your hard drive]
    > >
    > > List Cache Entries
    > >
    > > --
    > > Take care,
    > >
    > > Jonathan
    > > -------------------
    > > LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    > > http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    > Thats great, many thanks. I thought I was going to be OK but when I double
    > clicked a .mov in the cache it doesn't play! - I get the Q quicktime

    symbol
    > large in the middle of the screen and then a little Q with some animated
    > little squares under it and a dark band at the bottom of the screen with
    > some controls for movie playing just out of reach under my task bar. The
    > movie played OK straight from the site. When I right clicked on the entry
    > for the file in the disc cache and selected save link as I got a file

    which
    > when clicked brings up a messsage about it not being a movie file! Any
    > thought on this most welcome.
    > thanks
    > David

    I should add that when I click on the little red i on the developers toolbar
    it gives 4 statements about setCookie is not defined
    Error: setCookie is not defined Source File:
    javascript:setCookie('VTC_volume',5);Line: 1
    Error: setCookie is not defined Source File:
    javascript:setCookie('VTC_volume',77);Line: 1

    David Graham, Feb 23, 2006