Caching and Filter?

George Ter-Saakov

I have a Response.Filter set.

Will it affect caching (by ASP.NET) of my page?

Basically the question is caching happens before or after filtering?

My understanding ,because partial caching is possible, it happens before
filtering.

Thanks.
George.

Jacob Yang [MSFT]

Hi George,

I am sorry if there is any misunderstanding.

To my knowledge, even if the caching features on a web page was turned on,
the initial HTTP GET request for the page serves as normal, and then the
dynamic content of this web page will be placed in the output cache. That
is, the Response.Filter should apply to the output for the first HTTP
request to a cache-enabled web page. As for the subsequent HTTP request for
the same web page, the cache mechanism will serve them. Of course, the
contents in the cache are the filtered contents.

Please let me know if it helps.

Best regards,

Jacob Yang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

George Ter-Saakov

Thanks, I am still not clear
Let say I have a user control on a page with a directive
<%@ OutputCache Duration="120">

I have a Response.Filter set to my custom filter (replaces @First@ to actual
customer name).
So first request will cache the output of the user control.

Will second request (from another customer) take the cached output of the
control and pass it through the Filter (so @First@ will be replaced to
another name)?

Thanks.
George.

MSFT

Hi George,

The Filter property will be implemented after cache. In other words,
@First@ will be replaced with other name according the second request.

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security