Caching database data in XML -how is it done ?

Discussion in 'XML' started by anita, Dec 20, 2005.

  1. anita

    anita Guest

    I am trying to figure out how all this fits together...

    My database has some articles which are personalized, ie., a user gets
    to see certain articles depending on the user type.
    When a a request for an article comes in, depending on the logged in
    user, the article is to be served.
    The articles themselves dont change very often, so I was thinking that
    the first time an article is accessed, it is accessed from the database
    an XML DOM is created and written to the filesystem as static HTML for
    the article after applying XSLT to the generated XML.
    The next time someother user or the same user accesses this article,
    the file system is checked first to see if the html file for the
    article exists.. If it does it is passed back (or futher processed into
    html before being passed back).
    The idea is to make the reads of the article from the filesystem, but
    still retain its structure in the database, so that way I can change
    the XSLT and have a different way of presenting the article.

    How does this sound ? How is the requirement for avoiding avoid
    database access for dynamic (but not highly so) data handled ? I
    vaguely realize I can do some of this with caching directives in a
    JSP, not sure how.

    The bottom line, I'd like to be able to handle requests to the
    webserver for user specific data (the data itself is in html after
    being retrieved from the db once) by serving back html from the
    filesystem...

    Thankyou
    Ani
    anita, Dec 20, 2005