Caching generic data (not responses) used by a web service???

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Bob Rock, Jun 14, 2004.

  1. Bob Rock

    Bob Rock Guest

    Hello,

    I'd like to have some suggestions/pointers to how I could implement caching
    of generic data used by a set of web methods. I don't need to cache the
    response of web methods but of generic data (in the form of key/value
    pairs).
    ..
    Based on my current knowledge I have the following two choices:

    1) using the HttpApplication class
    2) using the instance of the Cache class accessible via the HttpContext
    class

    Are these good approaches or do they have any drawbacks I should be aware
    of???
    Are there better solutions???

    Any suggestion/pointer is welcome.

    Bob Rock
    Bob Rock, Jun 14, 2004

  2. Bob Rock

    Bob Rock Guest

    BTW I forgot to say, I'd need in-memory (and probably in-process) caching. I
    already use MS's caching application block for permanent caching of data
    ...... now I'd need a more volatile (and faster) caching.

    Bob Rock
    Bob Rock, Jun 14, 2004