Caching images & ASP pages

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by CJM, Jun 23, 2004.

  1. CJM

    CJM Guest

    I've had some periodic problems on certain (intranet)servers where IIS seems
    to be caching thing in an unexpected way, or is server cached pages where
    new content is expected.

    The first situation is where we have a standard Top + Left + Content
    framset; the left frame contains a menu which shows standard options - when
    the user logs in, extra menu options are available to them, depending on
    their priveleges. The menu is generated from a DB in ASP, and when the user
    logs in, Javascript is used to reload the page in the left frame - eg.
    re-generate menu based on logged-in user.

    This used to work on all servers, but at some point in time I found that
    people were logging in but were stuck with the standard menu. If we
    right-clicked in the menu and chose refresh, often the correct (eg expanded)
    menu would be shown.

    I'm not sure where the problem is IIS or could be controlled in ASP...

    The second problem is on my development machine; when I browse to my
    development copy of the intranet, I dont get the icons for each menu item.
    However, when I browse to the live Intranet system, the correct graphics are
    shown.

    Screenshots:
    My machine - http://www.brightnorth.com/news/menu1.gif
    Normal site - http://www.brightnorth.com/news/menu2.gif

    I'm assuming that this one is purely an IIS problem. Any thoughts?

    CJM, Jun 23, 2004

  2. Some info here:
    http://www.aspfaq.com/2022

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jun 23, 2004

  3. CJM

    CJM Guest

    Aaron/Stephen,

    Thanks. I'd actually already discovered this info while waiting (on Aaron's
    site of course!)

    Clearly this stops the ASP menu caching problem but not the menu icons....
    Any ideas about these?

    Chris

    CJM, Jun 23, 2004
  4. > Clearly this stops the ASP menu caching problem but not the menu icons....
    > Any ideas about these?

    How often are you changing the menu icons, really? If you change the
    graphics, change the name too. Then the browser won't look at the old
    images still in the cache.

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jun 23, 2004
  5. CJM

    CJM Guest

    > > Clearly this stops the ASP menu caching problem but not the menu

    icons....
    > > Any ideas about these?

    > How often are you changing the menu icons, really? If you change the
    > graphics, change the name too. Then the browser won't look at the old
    > images still in the cache.

    The images never change. Well, they havent so far...

    It's not like it's picking up old graphics... it's presumably picking up the
    right graphics but not showing them... that is, the images appear to take up
    space, but just arent visible...!

    The images are each surrounded by an anchor, since they are also used within
    the javascript menu top expand each menu group - this functionality still
    works...

    it's puzzling!

    Chris

    CJM, Jun 23, 2004
  6. > The images never change. Well, they havent so far...

    > It's not like it's picking up old graphics... it's presumably picking up

    the
    > right graphics but not showing them... that is, the images appear to take

    up
    > space, but just arent visible...!

    ? So why do you think this is a caching issue?

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jun 23, 2004
  7. CJM

    [MSFT] Guest

    Hi Chris,

    If you choose to view the source code of page in IE, did you see the code
    the those images?

    Luke

    [MSFT], Jun 24, 2004
  8. CJM

    CJM Guest

    Luke,

    Yes the images are present in the HTML.

    I did wonder if the CSS was hiding the images but the same CSS is used on
    the development site as is on the live site.

    cheers

    Chris

    CJM, Jun 24, 2004
  9. CJM

    [MSFT] Guest

    If right click the place, the select "Show Picture", will the image occur?
    Are these images files in same folder with your web pages?

    Luke

    [MSFT], Jun 25, 2004
  10. CJM

    CJM Guest

    The image files are in a different folder...

    My original problem was that the sub-item images didnt appear, but the main
    item images did. In this case, by using show picture the images *would*
    appear.

    Now both images dont appear, and show picture doesnt seem to work. I'm not
    aware of any change in circumstance, but clearly there must be some.

    Chris

    CJM, Jun 25, 2004
  11. CJM

    [MSFT] Guest

    Hi Chris,

    In IE, delete all the Internet temporary files. Will this help? And, is the
    treeview a server side control? a thrid party component?

    Luke

    [MSFT], Jun 28, 2004
  12. CJM

    CJM Guest

    Luke,

    The problem is the same for all users who access the site not just mine.
    Besides, this problem has been going on for months, during which time I've
    deleted the temporary files plenty of times. However, I thought I'd better
    try especially for you(!), but I'm afraid this time was no different
    either...

    The treeview is handcoded using ASP/JScript - well, I use a ProjectSeven
    (PVII) menu script as the basis.

    Cheers

    Chris

    CJM, Jun 28, 2004
  13. CJM

    CJM Guest

    Got the problem sorted now. I re-checked the logs and the two images
    concerned were coming up as 404's - there was a small typo in the code! I
    didnt notice before because the images are part of a large group that all
    were coming up as 200 - didnt notice the 2 x 404 in the middle.

    Apologies and thanks for your help.

    CJM, Jun 28, 2004