Calculate sha1 hash of a binary file

LaundroMat

Hi -

I'm trying to calculate unique hash values for binary files,
independent of their location and filename, and I was wondering
whether I'm going in the right direction.

Basically, the hash values are calculated thusly:

f = open('binaryfile.bin')
import hashlib
h = hashlib.sha1()
h.update(f.read())
hash = h.hexdigest()
f.close()

A quick try-out shows that effectively, after renaming a file, its
hash remains the same as it was before.

I have my doubts however as to the usefulness of this. As f.read()
does not seem to read until the end of the file (for a 3.3MB file only
a string of 639 bytes is being returned, perhaps a 00-byte counts as
EOF?), is there a high danger for collusion?

Are there better ways of calculating hash values of binary files?

Thanks in advance,

Mathieu

Tim Golden

LaundroMat said:
Hi -

I'm trying to calculate unique hash values for binary files,
independent of their location and filename, and I was wondering
whether I'm going in the right direction.

Basically, the hash values are calculated thusly:

f = open('binaryfile.bin')
import hashlib
h = hashlib.sha1()
h.update(f.read())
hash = h.hexdigest()
f.close()

A quick try-out shows that effectively, after renaming a file, its
hash remains the same as it was before.

I have my doubts however as to the usefulness of this. As f.read()
does not seem to read until the end of the file (for a 3.3MB file only
a string of 639 bytes is being returned, perhaps a 00-byte counts as
EOF?), is there a high danger for collusion?

Guess: you're running on Windows?

You need to open binary files by using open ("filename", "rb")
to indicate that Windows shouldn't treat certain characters --
specifically character 26 -- as special.

TJG

John Krukoff

[...]

Looks like you're doing the right thing from here. file.read( ) with no
size parameter will always return the whole file (for completeness, I'll
mention that the documentation warns this is not the case if the file is
in non-blocking mode, which you're not doing).

Python never treats null bytes as special in strings, so no, you're not
getting an early EOF due to that.

I wouldn't worry about your hashing code, that looks fine, if I were you
I'd try and figure out what's going wrong with your file handles. I
would suspect that in where ever you saw your short read, you were
likely not opening the file in the correct mode or did not rewind the
file ( with file.seek( 0 ) ) after having previously read data from it.

You'll be fine if you use the code above as is, there's no problems I
can see with it.

Nikolaus Rath

LaundroMat said:
[...]

Apart from opening the file in binary mode, I would consider to read
and update the hash in chunks of e.g. 512 KB. The above code is
probably going to perform horribly for sufficiently large files, since
you try read the entire file into memory.

Best,

-Nikolaus

--
»It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that.«

PGP fingerprint: 5B93 61F8 4EA2 E279 ABF6 02CF A9AD B7F8 AE4E 425C

LaundroMat

I did some testing, and calculating the hash value of a 1Gb file does
take some time using this method.
Would it be wise to calculate the hash value based on say for instance
the first Mb? Is there a much larger chance of collusion this way (I
suppose not). If it's helpful, the files would primarily be media
(video) files.

Thanks,

Mathieu

Paul Rubin

LaundroMat said:
Would it be wise to calculate the hash value based on say for instance
the first Mb? Is there a much larger chance of collusion this way (I
suppose not). If it's helpful, the files would primarily be media
(video) files.

The usual purpose of using this type of hash is to detect corruption
and/or tampering. So you want to hash the whole file, not just part
of it. If you're not worried about intentional tampering, md5 should
be somewhat faster than sha, but there are some attacks against it
and you shouldn't use it for high security applications where you
want security against forgery. It should still have almost no chance
of accidental collisions.

LaundroMat

The usual purpose of using this type of hash is to detect corruption
and/or tampering.  So you want to hash the whole file, not just part
of it.  If you're not worried about intentional tampering, md5 should
be somewhat faster than sha, but there are some attacks against it
and you shouldn't use it for high security applications where you
want security against forgery.  It should still have almost no chance
of accidental collisions.

Well, what I really intend to do is store the file hashes, in order to
be able to recognise the files later on when they are stored on
another location, and under another filename. It's not so much
tampering I'm concerned with.