Calendar Control Recommendation?

Jeff S

I would like recommendations for implementing a calendar in an ASP.NET web
site. My plan is to store date and event information (e.g,, "Spring Sale")
in a database, and when the page is requested, load the calendar. Users
would ideally view an entire month, and a short description of an event
within a specific date. More than one event will be listed for some dates,
with a brief description displayed in the calendar. I'd like to enable users
to click on any event description to get more detailed information about the
event.

I can build this calendar and related functionality from scratch, however
I'd prefer to not reinvent. I'd like recommendations for providing this
functionality (3rd party controls, sample projects, anything to get a jump
start on this).

Thanks in advance...

Jeff

Jeff S

That's great!.. just the sort of thing I need. Did you use the calendar
control that ships with Visual Studio.NET 2003?

-Jeff

Brian Henry

Hi Scott,

I have always wondered how you get a page to open something like you have
when you click on a calendar link in ur site that brings up the info in
another window.. useing that http://pack96.org/calendar/PackCalendar.aspx#
link for each one, how does this work? thanks for any info you can provide.

Scott M.

In my DayRender event for the calendar, when I write data into the
particular day, I include a traditional client-side JavaScript to perform
the window.open() JavaScript call. I then write the content from my
database (for that particular day) into the newly created window.

The actual text that appears in each day of the calendar is rendered inside
of a server side label. The code looks like this:
'Get the title text for the JS popup window ready
Dim PopUpWindowTitle As String = CurrentEventName 'This comes from the DB

Dim PopupLink As String = "javascript:popUpWindow(" & Chr(34) &
PopUpWindowTitle & Chr(34) & ", " & Chr(34) & CurrentEventDetails & Chr(34)
& ", " & Chr(34) & CurrentEventContact & Chr(34) & ", " & Chr(34) &
CurrentEventContactEmail & Chr(34) & ")"

objLabel.Text += "<BR><A HREF='#' onClick='" & PopupLink & "'>" &
CurrentEventName & "</A><BR>"

This is just a snippet, but I hope it gives you an idea.

Brian Henry

thanks! that explains a lot :)