Calendar Control Won't Show Selected Date if Value Has Time Value != Midnight

Mark Olbert

I just noticed something weird about the calendar control in ASPNET2. If you assign a value to SelectedDate that has a time
component (e.g., 3/1/2007 10:37 AM), and you have a custom style for the selected day, the selected day will not be rendered using
the custom style. Instead, the control acts like >>no<< date has been selected.

I came across this when doing a SelectedDate='<%# Bind("date_field") %>', where the date_field is a datetime sql server field.
There's an obvious workaround -- use ((DateTime) Eval("date_field")).Date instead of the Bind expression -- but then you have to add
code to extract the value before, say, doing an update against the database, since you've lost the databinding (and Bind() does not
return a value; it binds values).

Of course, an even better workaround would be for the silly control to work right in the first place, and recognize that a
SelectedDate of 3/1/2007 10:37 AM is, in the context of a >>calendar<< equivalent to 3/1/2007 12:00 AM and should be treated as such
for purposes of deciding when to render using the SelectedDay style.

- Mark

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello Mark,

Regarding on the Calendar control SelectedDateStyle issue, I have checked
our internal database and this is an existing bug that has been already
reported. The problem is occuring when the selectedData be assigned a non
zero-end datetime instance. You can also found the bug entry in the public
feedback center:

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?Feedbac
kID=105127

So far I think the workaround you mentioned should be the reasonable way.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

Mark Olbert

Steven,

Thanks for the link.

But I'm confused: the bug was confirmed over a year ago, and it's still not fixed? At last count I think I've downloaded, oh,
something over 200 patches from Microsoft for various Windows- and Office-related bugs in that time. What keeps the ASP.NET
Framework team from getting these kinds of fixes out sooner?

- Mark

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Mark,

As for the windows update(or update of some other end user products like
office), they are different from the fixed for .net framework or visual
studio. For windows or office, we can frequently publish new update or
packs and the end user can choose to install them at their convenient time.
And different user may have different updated version on their machine.
However, for .net framework or visual studio, we can not publish such fix
or service pack frequently, because .net framework/visual studio is tools
and base component that used to build applications, frequent change on this
will result to inconsistency between developers that has installed
different updates or packs. Therefore, Visual Studio or .net framework
will only publish a large service pack after a long time(based on the
common fixed that has ever been collected). For individual users, if
necessary, CSS can help create on-demand hotfix, generally, this will be
userful if a certain server application require such as rapid fix.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Mark Olbert

Steven,

I thought one of the benefits of managed code was to be able to run apps using different versions of the same library side-by-side
without any conflicts. In other words, no more DLL hell.

If that's so, why couldn't there be multiple versions of the same Framework libraries being used throughout the world? Granted, some
extra storage would be consumed, but that's pretty cheap these days.

- Mark

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Mark,

Yes, .net framework make managed application and assembly easy to deploy
side by side or redirect version to version. However, this is for
individual applications and their custom assemblies. For system/framework
class library, they're always tightly coupled with the CLR runtime version.
That means when the process start CLR runtime, it will always load a fixed
version framework library(lots of system fundatmential assemblies such as
Mscorlib.dll, System.dll....). These assemblies can not be redirected to
different version individually, you could only redirect the entire
framework library's version(the runtime will load a different version of
NET CLR and framework libraries). So far this CLR loading mechanism still
limit the framework's versioning support, and it is not quite good to
change the framework base class library frequently.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Alexnader M. Batishchev

It's 2010 now and bug still presents!!

stchen wrote:

Thanks for your reply Mark,Yes, .
12-Mar-07

[...]

kID=10512

So far I think the workaround you mentioned should be the reasonable way

Sincerely

Steven Chen

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lea

ications

http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/support/default.aspx

Steven,Thanks for the link.

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 12:40:04 GMT, (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT]) wrote:

[...]

Fast KeyWord String searching Algorithms
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...3-4decf97d75ce/fast-keyword-string-searc.aspx

Patrice

I just noticed something weird about the calendar control in ASPNET2. If
you assign a value to SelectedDate that has a time
component (e.g., 3/1/2007 10:37 AM), and you have a custom style for the
selected day, the selected day will not be rendered using
the custom style. Instead, the control acts like >>no<< date has been
selected.
It's 2010 now and bug still presents!!

And the style is defined using ? A problem seems to be that the default
inline styles are taking precedence over the CSS class. Otherwise it seems
to work.

I'm sometimes using skin files just to define the overall appearence when
the generated HTML prevents to use CSS...