Call for Ideas/Developers: Qanah Open Source Enterprise eCommerce

Joshua J. Kugler

[I realized after I sent this that "Announce" in the subject might be
construed as an as advertisement, thus would have been discarded. My
apologies for the duplicate post. I also made a few edits.]

Hello all!

Intro and "Credentials"
My name is Joshua Kugler, and I currently a system administrator for the
University of Alaska Fairbanks Center for Distance Education
<http://www.distance.uaf.edu/>, and am currently pursuing my Masters in
Computer Science. I've used Perl for years, writing entire database
driven web sites using it <see http://asuaf.org>; simple but
functional. I've also written an entire database app using MS Access
and Visual Basic...nice, but VB isn't my favorite language. I was also
the project leader for several class projects, including our senior
design project.

My intro to Ruby
I've known about the Ruby language for some time now, and was especially
intruiged by just *how* object oriented it was. Well, a few weeks ago,
starting with the O'Reilly series, I found out about Rails. As I
learned more via the second part of the O'Reilly series, "Really
Getting Started in Rails," and "Four Days on Rails," I really started
to get excited. So, yes, I must make a disclaimer: I have yet to
program one line of Ruby code. You can stop reading now if that
disgusts you. :) I've also written a couple of papers on software
design and implementation. See <http://asuaf.org/~joshua/papers/>

What I want to do
I've done googling, reading, and mail-list searching. Other than a
smattering of posts and references
(http://textdrive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=24856, and this thread:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.ruby.rails/2349), I've found no
serious discussion of a solid, open source, Rails-based eCommerce
application. I'll be needing a good, maintainable, extensible
eCommerce system in a few (or several) months, and I want to 1) Learn
Ruby and Rails, 2) get some project management experience, and 3)
create something that could become a "poster app" for Rails (I know,
Basecamp; I said "a," not "the"). eCommerce is something that really
needs a lot of templating and site design apart from the back-end code
and is ripe for something with good MVC separation like Rails.

The project will be called Qanah Open Source Enterprise eCommerce.
Qanah (pronounced kah-nah') is a Hebrew word meaning "to buy."
Appropriate for an eCommerce app, don't you think? :)

The Details
This will not be a rush job. As much as my hacker/programmer instincts
want to jump in and start implementing, I know better. I've done
enough projects where lack of planning came back and bit me. So, this
will not be a rush project. If you're looking for a product in a
couple months, this ain't it. :) We're probably looking at a three to
six month design process to gather and orgainze requirements, do
design, and do initial system layout.

I've registered for a project on rubyforge, and will shortly have more
details forthcoming.

Conclusion
Well, I have a lot of ideas I'll be distilling in the next few days and
weeks. If anyone is interested or has questions, feel free to ask. I
know I've bitten off a big chunk, but I'm excited about leading a
project and learning Ruby and Ruby on Rails.