[Call for Papers] Reminder: Workshop on Self-sustaining Systems (S3)2008

Gregor Schmidt

Hello,

This is just a short reminder. The deadline ends in a few weeks.

I know, this is slightly uncommmon in the Ruby community, but there
are so many Ruby implementations out there and I am sure, somebody is
interested in the topic. That is why I forward this call for papers to
this list.

If this is the wrong place, I am sorry and will be happy, if someone
points me to the correct one.

Cheers,

Gregor Schmidt

[Call for Papers]

*** Workshop on Self-sustaining Systems (S3) 2008 ***

May 15-16, 2008
Potsdam, Germany
http://www.swa.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/s3/

-- Call for papers:

The Workshop on Self-sustaining Systems (S3) is a forum for discussion
of topics relating to computer systems and languages that are able to
bootstrap, implement, modify, and maintain themselves. One property of
these systems is that their implementation is based on small but
powerful abstractions; examples include (amongst others)
Squeak/Smalltalk, COLA, Klein/Self, PyPy/Python, Rubinius/Ruby, and
Lisp. Such systems are the engines of their own replacement, giving
researchers and developers great power to experiment with, and explore
future directions from within, their own small language kernels.

S3 will be take place May 15-16, 2008 at the Hasso-Plattner-Institute
in Potsdam, Germany. It is an exciting opportunity for researchers and
practitioners interested in self-sustaining systems to meet and share
their knowledge, experience, and ideas for future research and
development.

-- Invited talk:

Ian Piumarta: Late-bound Object Lambda Architectures (Viewpoints
Research Institute, USA)

-- Submissions and proceedings:

S3 invites submissions of high-quality papers reporting original
research, or describing innovative contributions to, or experience
with, self-sustaining systems, their implementation, and their
application. Papers that depart significantly from established ideas
and practices are particularly welcome.

Submissions must not have been published previously and must not be
under review for any another refereed event or publication. The
program committee will evaluate each contributed paper based on its
relevance, significance, clarity, and originality. Revised papers will
be published as post-proceedings in the Springer LNCS series.

Papers should be submitted electronically via EasyChair at
http://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=s3 in PDF format.
Submissions must be written in English (the official language of the
workshop) and must not exceed 20 pages. They should use the LNCS
format, templates for which are available at
http://www.springer.de/comp/lncs/authors.html.

-- Venue:

Hasso-Plattner-Institut (Potsdam, Germany)

-- Important dates:

Submission of papers: February 15, 2008
Author notification: April 11, 2008
Revised papers due: April 25, 2008

S3 workshop: May 15-16, 2008

Final papers for LNCS post-proceedings due: June 6, 2008

-- Chairs:

* Robert Hirschfeld (Hasso-Plattner-Institut Potsdam, Germany)
* Kim Rose (Viewpoints Research Institute, USA)

-- Program committee:

* Johan Brichau, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Belgium
* Pascal Costanza, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium
* Wolfgang De Meuter, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium
* Stephane Ducasse, INRIA Lille, France
* Michael Haupt, Hasso-Plattner-Institut, Germany
* Robert Hirschfeld, Hasso-Plattner-Institut, Germany
* Dan Ingalls, Sun Microsystems Laboratories, USA
* Martin von Lšwis, Hasso-Plattner-Institut, Germany
* Hidehiko Masuhara, University of Tokyo, Japan
* Ian Piumarta, Viewpoints Research Institute, USA
* David Ungar, IBM, USA

-- Registration fees:

Early (until April 18, 2008)
* Regular participants: EUR 160